• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Howell

Hi Daria

Have looked at that 1901 Census, first, it is Tetley but can see why they say Selley. Elizabeth was born Barrow, Lancashire.
Hanna and William are down as sis/bro-in-law, their relationship to head of house George.
George is a fruit merchant and born in Birmingham
The address on Census looks like 31 Exeter Road

bren

only just seen this thread...
I have a Ronald Howell, born c1920 who was married to my aunt Catherine Laura Lorton and who lived near the Brum City football ground.
Both of their children now live in Bristol.
I haven't researched this side of the family, so don't know if he fits in with your family somewhere, Sorry!

Hi negritaspider

There was this birth --

Ronald D Howell mmn Stevens 1st qtr 1918 Aston 6d 293

bren

Thanks Bren,
I no longer have contact with this side of my family - although i tried...
so will not research it further.
I posted in case it was of interest to the original poster - thanks anyway! :biggrin:

my gggrandfather was a howell.his name was charles ,his father was john howell unfortunately we dont know his mothers name but they were from the birmingham area.john married emily jane chinn in 1867 and they had a daughter selina.walshy

shera we are a little confused on charles marriage certificate his occupation is down as steel toy grinder and his fathers is as a confectioner the address is down as darwin street could this be the same charles howell as yours?walshy

sorry to keep you waiting walshy but i couldnt for the life of me remember what i found last time :rolleyes:

anyway i think now i have found the same one and it fits ok.ish

1861 in new summer st. written as howle

john howle 60 jeweller
ann 57
henry 29 coach harness filer
CHARLES 18 gun furniture polisher (which is exactly same as 1871 with wife emily)
francis 15 gun implement maker

all born bham

hi shera was wondering where you found out your info only we have come up with another howell family that could fit the info we already have walshy:)

hello walshy it was just on the ancestry 1861 census as i printed out, i know it doesnt all match but the thing that made me look at it twice was the occ. being exactly the same as charles with his wife emily in the 1871 census. its quite an unusual description (gun furniture polisher) so just thought id point it out to you. let me know what youve found just out of interest.

hi shera my brother in law found another howell family but the father was older the mother had a different name and there were more siblings but he has now found the ones you did and he thinks these are our howells the problem we have now is we have found charles in 1881 as a patient in the general hospital aged 36 but cannot find anything else about him although we do know he did leave the hospital we think that his wife emily possibly remarried and became russell but we cant find anything out about charles or the new marriage of emilys walshy

hi walshy, im more confused than ever now :notlooking: but to add to the problem ive found a family in 1891 which may be nothing to do with you but have a look

living in manchester

thomas howell 48 confectioner b. walsall
emily 46 confectioner b. bham
thomas 24 confectioner b. bham
william donell father in law widower 78 b. shoreditch london

could it be an off shoot of your family?

Hi,

Hi Darz

I am John Howell and in my family tree I have a William Howell married a Jane Pursehouse in Sedgley Staffordshire in 1856 may be some help

Im not sure if there is a connection, as I have only just started researching the Howell side in my family tree.

I have the following information:

Joseph Edward Henry Howell
DOB: 07 Mar 1903
Place of birth: Birmingham

I am not sure of his parents name, but I do know that he had sibling - Frederick Leslie Howell.

Joseph migrated to Australia in 1922 at the age of 19 and Frederick migrated in the 1940's with his wife and children.

If anyone has any info that may relate I would really appreciate it.

Daria :)

Hi Donna,
just joined this forum and getting used to it. My name is Steve Howell and I had a sister called Patricia Howell. I was born in Pugh Road Aston in 1956 and lived there until around 1966..........can I help further?Regards Steve.
Hi Aslan i had a good mate at Upper Thomas St Aston John Howell he lived in Aston he would be the same age as me 68 years old and i think he might live in Sutton Coldfield now and i live in Walmley Raz x

Hi Donna,
just joined this forum and getting used to it. My name is Steve Howell and I had a sister called Patricia Howell. I was born in Pugh Road Aston in 1956 and lived there until around 1966..........can I help further?Regards Steve.
Hi Donna,
it's been while since I dropped you a line. My name is Steve Howell and we wrote to another some years back. I've done some more research in that time, sorry it's bee so long, How are you?

Steve, Donna hasn't posted since 2022, if you go to post 36 and click into her user name you will see Start conversation, and if you access this you can send her a private message.

Back