• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Howell

wow, i wonder why the war graves commission say that albert is g and t son. i do know george dad called henry but according to my grandad henrys wife was called selina, mystery gets worse.
do you think the best way forward is to get g and t marriage cert?

where did you get your info from was it ancestry

Sorry Donna I have commited the genealogical sin of not thoroughly checking.
Disregard the Howell family I gave to you.

1901 census
5 court 21 house Catherine street,Aston Manor
Henry howell age 47 Brass polisher
Selina age 46
Florence 16
Lily 15
George 9 all born birmingham

Problem of Albert could be solved if the marriage certificate to Kate could be found.

Howell explorations

Hi & thanks to Alberta, Donna, Bren, Darz the Oz but Ok ;) & Cov Kid etc
Good to see the "Howell",s being well researched, info flying about,
Nice work everyone, keep digging, some "links" sure to crop up,
Alberta, good to see your "1901" posting, helps to certify the searches,
So here is mine (my Wife Marilyn Howell line)
1901 RG13/2837 Folio 76 page 19 @ 26 River Street, Digbeth, B,ham
Head; Mary (Sankey) Howell, Green Grocer age 45
(Hubby John Howell not on census, Out at Pub or Dead :Aah: )
Children, John Howell age 17 Brass Polisher,
Lily 15, Claude 12, Leonard 10, Horace 5, Samuel age 1.

Previous censii, Show two(2) older sons, George Howell b 1875c &
a James Howell born 1877
Offspring of all the above known to be in Canada & Australia

Suggest all "Howell" researchers/ postees on this section dig out &
cross reference with 1901,s as a Base, mabe starter for 10.
Ok & cheers John Y, CDM (Cadbury dairy Milk) reading gasmeters

John,just a thought albeit a sad one.

Mary staus is married on 1901 and I searched for a John around his age and found one in the All Saints asylum and his birthplace is unknown but status married.

I have found out the Joseph Edward Henry Howell - his parents are Henry William Howell and Ann Jones. Not sure if this helps anyone...
Hi,

Im not sure if there is a connection, as I have only just started researching the Howell side in my family tree.

I have the following information:

Joseph Edward Henry Howell
DOB: 07 Mar 1903
Place of birth: Birmingham

I am not sure of his parents name, but I do know that he had sibling - Frederick Leslie Howell.

Joseph migrated to Australia in 1922 at the age of 19 and Frederick migrated in the 1940's with his wife and children.

If anyone has any info that may relate I would really appreciate it.

Daria :)

I Have An Anne Howell Born 1827 Worcester Married To Joseph Steele ?

Howell, Worcestershire

Hi Colbytaz :)

Your Anne Howell b 1627c married Joseph Steel
Jan/Feb/March Quarter 1846 , Register, Pershore Worcs
Volume 18 page 465 ,, You could order Marriage cert from info, Ok

I have a John Howell born about 1856, Worcester/shire
He is later censii in B,ham but was wondering if your Anne Howell
& my John origin same "family", possible Anne has a brother?
Do you have more info on Anne b1827c siblings etc & census.
Best regards John Y

:confused: Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with a search.

I have searched the 1901 census and found Eliza ann howell (nee jones) married to a geo? howell with 2 children R Howell and William? Howell.

It is really hard to understand the writing and was hoping someone might be able to help out.

I am guessing Eliza Ann married George? Howell but I cant seem to find any marriage records.

From 1901 Census
Geo Howell - age 26
Eliza Ann - age 27
R Howell - age 4
William Howell - Age 2

I am pretty sure I have the right family group because at the time of the census they are living with another couple Hannah Maria Tetley and William Tetley. Hannah and Eliza were sisters (Nee Jones). Although on the census they have transcribed the surname as Selley instead of Tetley.

I would really appreciate any input you can provide.

Daria

Hi Daria

Marriage --

George Howell/Elizabeth Ann Jones 4th qtr 1895 Birmingham 6d 129

bren

Hi Daria

Have looked at that 1901 Census, first, it is Tetley but can see why they say Selley. Elizabeth was born Barrow, Lancashire.
Hanna and William are down as sis/bro-in-law, their relationship to head of house George.
George is a fruit merchant and born in Birmingham
The address on Census looks like 31 Exeter Road

bren

only just seen this thread...
I have a Ronald Howell, born c1920 who was married to my aunt Catherine Laura Lorton and who lived near the Brum City football ground.
Both of their children now live in Bristol.
I haven't researched this side of the family, so don't know if he fits in with your family somewhere, Sorry!

Hi negritaspider

There was this birth --

Ronald D Howell mmn Stevens 1st qtr 1918 Aston 6d 293

bren

Thanks Bren,
I no longer have contact with this side of my family - although i tried...
so will not research it further.
I posted in case it was of interest to the original poster - thanks anyway! :biggrin:

my gggrandfather was a howell.his name was charles ,his father was john howell unfortunately we dont know his mothers name but they were from the birmingham area.john married emily jane chinn in 1867 and they had a daughter selina.walshy

shera we are a little confused on charles marriage certificate his occupation is down as steel toy grinder and his fathers is as a confectioner the address is down as darwin street could this be the same charles howell as yours?walshy

sorry to keep you waiting walshy but i couldnt for the life of me remember what i found last time :rolleyes:

anyway i think now i have found the same one and it fits ok.ish

1861 in new summer st. written as howle

john howle 60 jeweller
ann 57
henry 29 coach harness filer
CHARLES 18 gun furniture polisher (which is exactly same as 1871 with wife emily)
francis 15 gun implement maker

all born bham

hi shera was wondering where you found out your info only we have come up with another howell family that could fit the info we already have walshy:)

hello walshy it was just on the ancestry 1861 census as i printed out, i know it doesnt all match but the thing that made me look at it twice was the occ. being exactly the same as charles with his wife emily in the 1871 census. its quite an unusual description (gun furniture polisher) so just thought id point it out to you. let me know what youve found just out of interest.

hi shera my brother in law found another howell family but the father was older the mother had a different name and there were more siblings but he has now found the ones you did and he thinks these are our howells the problem we have now is we have found charles in 1881 as a patient in the general hospital aged 36 but cannot find anything else about him although we do know he did leave the hospital we think that his wife emily possibly remarried and became russell but we cant find anything out about charles or the new marriage of emilys walshy

hi walshy, im more confused than ever now :notlooking: but to add to the problem ive found a family in 1891 which may be nothing to do with you but have a look

living in manchester

thomas howell 48 confectioner b. walsall
emily 46 confectioner b. bham
thomas 24 confectioner b. bham
william donell father in law widower 78 b. shoreditch london

could it be an off shoot of your family?

Hi,

Hi Darz

I am John Howell and in my family tree I have a William Howell married a Jane Pursehouse in Sedgley Staffordshire in 1856 may be some help

Im not sure if there is a connection, as I have only just started researching the Howell side in my family tree.

I have the following information:

Joseph Edward Henry Howell
DOB: 07 Mar 1903
Place of birth: Birmingham

I am not sure of his parents name, but I do know that he had sibling - Frederick Leslie Howell.

Joseph migrated to Australia in 1922 at the age of 19 and Frederick migrated in the 1940's with his wife and children.

If anyone has any info that may relate I would really appreciate it.

Daria :)

Hi Donna,
just joined this forum and getting used to it. My name is Steve Howell and I had a sister called Patricia Howell. I was born in Pugh Road Aston in 1956 and lived there until around 1966..........can I help further?Regards Steve.
Hi Aslan i had a good mate at Upper Thomas St Aston John Howell he lived in Aston he would be the same age as me 68 years old and i think he might live in Sutton Coldfield now and i live in Walmley Raz x

Hi Donna,
just joined this forum and getting used to it. My name is Steve Howell and I had a sister called Patricia Howell. I was born in Pugh Road Aston in 1956 and lived there until around 1966..........can I help further?Regards Steve.
Hi Donna,
it's been while since I dropped you a line. My name is Steve Howell and we wrote to another some years back. I've done some more research in that time, sorry it's bee so long, How are you?

Steve, Donna hasn't posted since 2022, if you go to post 36 and click into her user name you will see Start conversation, and if you access this you can send her a private message.

Back