• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Howell

Donna

master brummie
Does anyone know anything about a George Arthur Howell b1890 ish (my gt grandfather)?
Thanks
Surname interests: Joyner, Spears, Stokes

Hi Donna i used to know someone called Pat Howell, a lovely woman & i worked with her for a few years. She lived in the Great Barr area. Any relation ?:)

I haven't got much info about Howell side of my tree except for the ten or so kids of George Arthur Howell (my gt grandad) and I haven't found many people with just Howell and not Howells (if you know what i mean). Do you remember what age Pat Howell was, it would be useful to keep as info for research
Thanks
Donna

Donna, Pat will be around 60 now all i know is that she is married to Ray & what made me reply to your post was the fact that im pretty sure she has a daughter called Donna ! Its probably just a coincidence eh. Im quite sure that they grew up in the Aston/Newtown area.Hope this helps.
Laraine.:)

Howell,s Aston/Small Heath 1850,s-2000

Hi Donna & Laraine :) :)

Have extensive Howell family re Areas & Era depicted above,
will cross reference with your information to check a hopefull "click",

Please supply a 1901 (or earlier) census if possible,
If 1920,s-60,s then E-mail direct if you prefer.
Thanks & best regards John Y 8)

John, my gt granny was Eliza Howell b 1858 B'ham she married my gt granddad Arthur Yates. Are we connected:)

Howell cross-refs

Hi Momma :)
Do you have Eliz(beth) Howell b 1858 birth cert &/or
her Fathers name?, its possible my line through (her) brother.
If you have her on 1871 (age13 ) &/or 1881 (age 23) before/after
presume marriage circa 1881 +-2 to your Arthur Yates

Will cross-check awaiting your Rsvp, Cheers JohnY boyo 8)

Last edited:
John in 1871 I have Eliza Howell aged 21 with parents William and Clarissa Howell nee Whitehead. They were in Graham Street.

Howell researching

Hi Moma P ,

Your Eliza Howell b 1858, must be 13 in 1871, can,t be 21 ? (b 1850)
Please re-check & supply Census refs if possible,
Also more info on William/Clarissa - parents if possible,
Thanks John Y :)

Hi John, I have now got the right information I have not done a lot on this side of my family. I found a birth record for Eliza Howell Dec 1849 for which I will now send for a certificate.

1851 HO 179 piece 2056 folio 235 page 23
1861 RG 10 piece 2152 folio 37 page 15
1871 RG10 piece 3128 folio 104 page 33.

I have no information on William and Clarissa sorry.

Thanks for your patience Wendy.

I haven't got much info about Howell side of my tree except for the ten or so kids of George Arthur Howell (my gt grandad) and I haven't found many people with just Howell and not Howells (if you know what i mean). Do you remember what age Pat Howell was, it would be useful to keep as info for research
Thanks
Donna

Hi Donna,
just joined this forum and getting used to it. My name is Steve Howell and I had a sister called Patricia Howell. I was born in Pugh Road Aston in 1956 and lived there until around 1966..........can I help further?Regards Steve.

Howell family

Hi Steve

Funny enough but many years ago when i went to central library i was looking up the voting registers and i looked at pugh road and found your howell family but i never did see if there was any connection. some of my nans brothers were cyril, leslie, albert, arthur, fred, and the sisters were may and olive. are any of these yours? my grandad was george arthur howell
Thanks
Donna

Hi Donna,
thank you so much for coming back to me.The names you mentioned here are very familiar to me as Arthur was my dad and the others are my uncles and aunts.
What a small world.
I do not know the name my grandad on my dads side but wouldn't it be great if we wre related.........speak soon Steve.

Emily Howell

Donna

My Howell is Emily Howell, my great Grandmother. She was born in 1864 in Aston and died in Coventry in 1953. I have some lovely photos of her.

Her parents were Joseph Howell (b. 1845) and Ann Crowley (b. 1846).

Is she related to your Howells?

Michael

Hi there, I don't yet have an Emily Howell in my tree but as there are Bham connections, it could be possible. Please stay contactable, thanks.
Donna

Hi Donna

Could this be the birth --

George Arthur Howell 2nd qtr 1891 Aston 6d 446

If you know his parents names post them and i will look on the 1901 census for him with his family or maybe you know any brothers or sisters names. If you send for the cert it will give his parents names, mothers maiden name, address and fathers occupation. I did have a quick look on the census and found this one but needs confirming with the information i have just outlined --

Name:George Howell
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1891
Relation:Son
Father's Name:Henry
Mother's Name:Emily
Where born:Bham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Basil
County/Island:Warwickshire
Street address: Looks like - 1 Gibb Terrace (Gibb Street)

Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district:Deritend
ED, institution, or vessel:9
Household schedule number:192
Household Members:NameAge
Emily Howell
Florence Howell
George Howell
Harry Howell
Henry Howell

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2855; Folio: 20; Page: 31.

bren

Hi,

Im not sure if there is a connection, as I have only just started researching the Howell side in my family tree.

I have the following information:

Joseph Edward Henry Howell
DOB: 07 Mar 1903
Place of birth: Birmingham

I am not sure of his parents name, but I do know that he had sibling - Frederick Leslie Howell.

Joseph migrated to Australia in 1922 at the age of 19 and Frederick migrated in the 1940's with his wife and children.

If anyone has any info that may relate I would really appreciate it.

Daria :)

One of our near neighbours and a workmate of my dad through the 30s to late 50s was Len Howell, he and his wife lived in Leyton Grove Kingstanding, they had no children, he was a small man around 5'2", she was a big woman, in every way, obese they'd call it now. E.

Hi Daria

I looked for your Joseph's birth and found this -

Joseph Henry E Howell 2nd qtr 1903 King's N 6c 482a

Remember, this is when the birth was registered, he was born late in the first qtr but they didn't register it until the second qtr. If you sent for this it would have the birth date, address , parents names and mothers maiden name. I looked for his brother, there are plenty of Frederick's but not with that middle name.
If you do get the cert for Joseph and the birth date matches the one you gave you could then give us his parents names and we could look for the marriage and possibly find them on the 1901 Census.

bren

Wow, theres a few Howells out there, thanks everyone for giving me more leads. i know there is a frederick howell in my tree for sure but i dont know if he emigrated. he married a lady called gladys.

Bren - this is good info, i have George Arthur born April 1889, 1890 or 1891. and he married a thereasa, theresa, tereasa, teresa westwood. Im not registered with a website to get certificates - is ancestry the best one do you think?

Certificates

I myself always get my cert's from the GRO and i do it online, if the price has not gone up recently they are £7 only unless you request additional cross checking, i don't bother. Here is the link --

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/register.asp

The first time you do it you have to register and are given a password, the next time you use it just enter your password and your details come up.
If you are ordering cert's concerned with BMD in Brum you can get them from the Register Office in town by making a visit, by post or online and once again the cost online is £7, here's the link --

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/Gener...2&CONTENT_ITEM_TYPE=0&MENU_ID=793&EXPAND=5025

bren

Thanks for your help. I will apply for the certificate next week and go from there.

For Donna -- Marriage

Hi Donna

Looks like he married young --

George Arthur Howell/Theresa Westwood 1st qtr 1908 Aston 6d 441

bren

Wow, theres a few Howells out there, thanks everyone for giving me more leads. i know there is a frederick howell in my tree for sure but i dont know if he emigrated. he married a lady called gladys.

Hi Donna,

The Frederick in my tree married a Mildred Alice ? (Not sure of her maiden name). They had 4 children and 2 of them were killed in the ww2 german air raides in birmingham. Millie and Les migrated to Aus in 1947.

Thank you all for your help. i have found an address where george arthur howell used to live it was 119 upper thomas street, i have dates of 1932, 1946 and 1952 so i have a bit more research to do. im not sure if upper thomas street still exists anymore.

this site is so amazing, all the memories, all the helpful people, brilliant

george arthur howell

Would anybody be able to help please? I thought George ARthur Howell was born c1890 but i have found a son Albert born c1900. i know george's wife teresa/theresa/tereasa/thereasa westwood was born c1890 for sure but was it possible to have children when they were so young? im getting a bit mixed up!!!
Thanks
Donna

I am presuming that you know that Albert is their son because you have the birth certificate ,what is the address on it and what is Georges occupation.

Hi Alberta
I know about Albert as he was my nans brother and i looked on the war graves commission for albert howell and it states george and theresa are his parents but my dad tell me that one of nans brothers lied about his age to get in the army, apparently all the lads did that so they didnt have to go to work?!?!?!?
G & T had another son leslie b1908 and cyril b1921 and i know albert married a kate and they lived at 4 b/o 123 upper thomas st
George was a brass worker in 1932 and a brass filer in 1946
i have a marriage cert 1932 of leslie with an address of 10 sutton terrace lichfield rd

The Albert Howell that was born in 1900 is the son of Charles Howell and Louisa.

George Arthur Howell was born 1891 Birmingham so there is no possiblity of him having a son in 1900.

1901 census Gibb street,Deritend
Henry Howell age 42 Chair back machinist
Emily age 38
George age 10
Hary age 7
Florence age 2 all born birmingham

Theresa Westwood born 1890 Ogley Hay nr Brownhills Staffs.

1901 census Lichfield

Thomas Westwood age 42 Bricklayer b. Worcester
Elizabeth age 42 b. Quarry Bank
Harry 13 son
Theresa 11 daughter
Philomen 8 son
Lucy 6 daughter
Russell 4 son
Cyril 9 months son

Back