• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages

watton

master brummie
Pop bottles?

Hi padget. I don't have any information for your enquiry, but I do have an old brown 'pot' flagon (?) from Crompton Road, Nechells. 'Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages. 1941 - Please replace stopper. This jar is only lent and must be returned. It is illegal to use same for other purposes'!!!!!
Wonder if I would get any cash back on my late 'returns'?
Has anyone got any info. on this?

Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages.. Albert Edward Allcock 1935- 29[SUP]th[/SUP] July 1942
My Grandad Albert Edward Allcock ran this Botanical Brewery business "Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages" in Crompton Rd, Nechells, Birmingham with his business partner Joe Hayes, the business was already long established and they kept the name when they took over in 1935, they developed the business and increased the number of rounds ( it was delivered by horse drawn lorry much like milk). Unfortunately it was bombed on 29th July 1942, there are photos of Compton Rd/Long acre bomb damage on the National Archives site. They were probably trying to bomb the nearby Hercules factory at the time my grandad said.
Unfortunately their horses for the rounds who were stabled at the back overnight were in a terrible state after the bombing....and all had to be put down the next day. Joe and Grandad took in turns to sleep at the place incase of fire when they felt there was risk of bombing. Joe was on duty that night(and took refuge in the shelter),but horses had to stay put. My grandad loved the horses and had he been watching the factory that night would have stayed with them talking to them through the bombing rather than go to the shelter.My grandma thought had it been his turn to watch over the factory that night he would have been killed.
He had already survived WW1,wounded, and eventually lived into his 90's.
Once bombed my Grandad applied to rebuild, but resources were in short supply and it was considered unessential buildind work. He was told if he found other work then definitely no chance of a rebuild. So he lived off his savings for 6 months, after this decided as there was still no sight of the war ending he should give up the business.
My Mum and cousin remember long after the business closed in the 1950's my Grandma used the stone bottles/jars/flagons filled with hot water to warm the beds in the winter. The jars were everywhere then, but we have none now.Would be interested to get one for the family if anyone has one now!
So would probably get cash back on one or two returns!
My Grandad had previously set up the first milk rounds for Midland Counties in Birmingham from nothing in about 1913 or maybe just before. He always claimed to have sold the first bottle of milk for Midland Counties.
He went door to door, developing new milk rounds each day and would then employ a roundsman to immediately cover that area. He was very likeable trustworthy personality and grew the number of rounds very quickly,and was in charge of all the roundsmen, horses and lorries, Joe Hayes was taken on to help. By 1935 Midland Counties decided that they wanted somebody educated to degree level to be in charge of all this-it was getting big. As a thankyou they bought and gave them the Howarth Brothers Herbal Brewery business as a golden handshake and to develop for themselves in a similar way.Which they did. it was getting so successful just before the bombing that they were planning to buy my Mum her own horse , and keep it on some land owned in Marsh Lane by the Swinnertons who ran a grocers in Stockland Green, but all that had to come to nothing. Grandpa by this time was in his late 50's and got himself a job as a stores keeper at a factory opposite ICI in Witton, where he was very happy working until he retired aged 67!

Thank you for posting this interesting family history, sunshine!
It would be wonderful if you did find one of those jars.
rosie.

360_8de122811877a4cbbdc0d25cb8a490c9.jpg Yes! Thanks Rosie ! Just found one on auction site from 1941 when my Grandad was running it. Too late! Sold 3rd April 2012! If anyone out there bought it let me know !

Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages.. Albert Edward Allcock 1935- 29[SUP]th[/SUP] July 1942
My Grandad Albert Edward Allcock ran this Botanical Brewery business "Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages" in Crompton Rd, Nechells, Birmingham with his business partner Joe Hayes, the business was already long established and they kept the name when they took over in 1935, they developed the business and increased the number of rounds ( it was delivered by horse drawn lorry much like milk). Unfortunately it was bombed on 29th July 1942, there are photos of Compton Rd/Long acre bomb damage on the National Archives site. They were probably trying to bomb the nearby Hercules factory at the time my grandad said.
Unfortunately their horses for the rounds who were stabled at the back overnight were in a terrible state after the bombing....and all had to be put down the next day. Joe and Grandad took in turns to sleep at the place incase of fire when they felt there was risk of bombing. Joe was on duty that night(and took refuge in the shelter),but horses had to stay put. My grandad loved the horses and had he been watching the factory that night would have stayed with them talking to them through the bombing rather than go to the shelter.My grandma thought had it been his turn to watch over the factory that night he would have been killed.
He had already survived WW1,wounded, and eventually lived into his 90's.
Once bombed my Grandad applied to rebuild, but resources were in short supply and it was considered unessential buildind work. He was told if he found other work then definitely no chance of a rebuild. So he lived off his savings for 6 months, after this decided as there was still no sight of the war ending he should give up the business.
My Mum and cousin remember long after the business closed in the 1950's my Grandma used the stone bottles/jars/flagons filled with hot water to warm the beds in the winter. The jars were everywhere then, but we have none now.Would be interested to get one for the family if anyone has one now!
So would probably get cash back on one or two returns!
My Grandad had previously set up the first milk rounds for Midland Counties in Birmingham from nothing in about 1913 or maybe just before. He always claimed to have sold the first bottle of milk for Midland Counties.
He went door to door, developing new milk rounds each day and would then employ a roundsman to immediately cover that area. He was very likeable trustworthy personality and grew the number of rounds very quickly,and was in charge of all the roundsmen, horses and lorries, Joe Hayes was taken on to help. By 1935 Midland Counties decided that they wanted somebody educated to degree level to be in charge of all this-it was getting big. As a thankyou they bought and gave them the Howarth Brothers Herbal Brewery business as a golden handshake and to develop for themselves in a similar way.Which they did. it was getting so successful just before the bombing that they were planning to buy my Mum her own horse , and keep it on some land owned in Marsh Lane by the Swinnertons who ran a grocers in Stockland Green, but all that had to come to nothing. Grandpa by this time was in his late 50's and got himself a job as a stores keeper at a factory opposite ICI in Witton, where he was very happy working until he retired aged 67!

Hi,

My Grandfathers Brother in law, Oliver Osborne, ran a botanical brewery, in Brass Street, I believe it was near to My Great Grandfathers Furniture shop (Alfred Wilson) which was on the corner of Newtown Row and New John Street.
I came accross the attached Jar on eBay, but would love to find out more about his Brewery.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
They are not listed in Kellys in 1973. Probably the number is the number of the container.

Some years ago, in the 1970's/80's (maybe still is) a trend to make many jugs, pitchers, pots and bottles of all shapes and sizes by stoneware manufacturers of old or designs of companies that have ceased trading. Sometimes thee were used as intended or purely decorative. Maybe this was one of them.

Back