• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Howard's Place, Birmingham

phillip bates

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone know where Howard or Howard's place was in Birmingham,
I found this address on a parish register entry for St Jude's church, Birmingham, 1842.
I assume it has long since gone, as i cant find it in my 1952 a-z of Birmingham.
thanks

Phill

Phil
Howard Place was used to describe a group of houses on the West side of Bristol road. It is not quite clear as to the extent of the group, and numbering and position vary slightly (in particular exactly where St Harrys Road was in relationship to it) In 1855 the street appears to have been divided up into groups of houses, and howard Place was nos 85-100 Bristol road. Between 1880 and 1883 there was a renumbering, with odd numbers one side, even the other. After renumbering, these numbers seem to correspond to nos 179 - 213 bristol Road. hope that's not too complicated. If its not clear then let me know
mike

Thanks mikejee

Great stuff.

Thanks for your quick reply, there's just one question I'd like to ask and that is, how did you find that information so quickly ?, i googled it with not much luck, maybe i didn't look hard enough but it seems this is the place to ask.
thanks again

phill

a bit of time has passed since this post but I have also found a Howard Place with the following reference; note St Judes.
I believe it may have been somewhere between Hill Street and Suffolk Street

Street Howard Place
Parish Birmingham
City or borough Birmingham
Town Birmingham
County Warwickshire
Country England
Municipal ward Market Hall
Parliamentary borough Birmingham
Ecclesiastical district St Judes
Registration district Birmingham
Enumeration district 8
Archive reference RG09
Piece number 2150
Folio 54
Page 11

a bit of time has passed since this post but I have also found a Howard Place with the following reference; note St Judes.
I believe it may have been somewhere between Hill Street and Suffolk Street

Street Howard Place
Parish Birmingham
City or borough Birmingham
Town Birmingham
County Warwickshire
Country England
Municipal ward Market Hall
Parliamentary borough Birmingham
Ecclesiastical district St Judes
Registration district Birmingham
Enumeration district 8
Archive reference RG09
Piece number 2150
Folio 54
Page 11
My 3rd great grandfather Joseph Rose and his wife Mary Haycock lived in Howard Place per 1861 census. I was up late trying to figure out what exactly Howard Place was and found this discussion - thanks for pointing me to what today would be 179-214 Bristol Rd.. His census record matches above except in Folio 53, not 54. It says "Howard Place - 34 houses" and then beside each family is groups them by "1 house", "2 house" and so on.

My 3rd great grandfather Joseph Rose and his wife Mary Haycock lived in Howard Place per 1861 census. I was up late trying to figure out what exactly Howard Place was and found this discussion - thanks for pointing me to what today would be 179-214 Bristol Rd.. His census record matches above except in Folio 53, not 54. It says "Howard Place - 34 houses" and then beside each family is groups them by "1 house", "2 house" and so on.
I know this post is very old now but my great-great-great grandfather Matthew Gilbert lived in New Inkleys in 1841 and my great-great grandfather Thomas Gilbert lived in Howard Place in 1851.
Here is a map showing the locations of.. Old Inkleys, New Inkleys, Howard Place, Greens Village...etc. The map is dated 1847 and shows the proposed site of New Street Station

Attachments

• Birmingham_Map_1847a.jpg
    Birmingham_Map_1847a.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 39
Back