• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

howard st newtown

takes me back a bit john. had great fun playing on the old bomb pecks. wales.

john talking bomb pecks has just bought something to mind. after the houses were pulled down me and me bro used to go and collect the copper wiring and take it home. dad would burn off the outer plastic in the back garden and take it to the scrap man who weighed it up and gave dad cash. of course we always got out cut out of it. happy happy days. wales.

john talking bomb pecks has just bought something to mind. after the houses were pulled down me and me bro used to go and collect the copper wiring and take it home. dad would burn off the outer plastic in the back garden and take it to the scrap man who weighed it up and gave dad cash. of course we always got out cut out of it. happy happy days. wales.

Wales - remember the cast iron window bombs? In those days the kids had to be opportunists in making money when ever possible. We were known as 'tatters'..... remember.

keith

JY M8 Morning were we really that little and young. Our bomb peck was next to the Aston Hippodrome for a few weeks when we came out of the Globe after the Saturday crush.

Great photo's Wales

Last edited:
keith. cast iron window bombs i cant recall??? i will ask my brother. he was a good tatter. alf glad you like them. wales.

Nice theme,,Wales,,

Window "bombs" were the cast iron weights hanging as counter-balances in the side frames of the old Windows,
As soon as our "friends & neighbours" had gone, left house(slum clearance days) then WE wuz in,, lol
Window weights (bombs) 1st Tat,, then 2nd the Lead pipe under the sink,,
Chopped at floor level & bent over with a brick, (Quieter than a hammer ) Left no leaks so no complaints etc,,
Then the wiring stripped out of every place (After Elecs isolated,, i did that age 8 lol )Dad a Sparkie,,
Burnt the wire on the Bomb peck,, then run all of our Glory hoard to Kirby,s yard,, Good price & clip round the ear..
Best "tatters" gang of kids on Summer Lane,,, Yo JohnY

Last edited:
Back