• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Howard Eaton From Icknield Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...i have a smashing pic here of howard eaton who lived in icknield st...it shows him playing the harmonica in the vine inn villa st on the day it closed its doors date 1978..if any of howards family are looking in i will glady post the pic on here...

lyn

hi lynn
if my memory serves me correctly this gentlman lived up the terrace facing the mint and i used to see him quite often around the area
and as you said he played in most of the pubs up and around the spring hill and brookfields and he used to play the mini harminaca
he would have it stuck in is mouth and he also played the regular peice
its possible that mossy and brookie girl maggie may also recall him
the terrace was afew yards pasing the second hand shops and a little out door that was there i think it was the same entrance as micky over croft and the luckmans family way back ; best wishes astonian;;

thanks for the info alan...be good to hear from any of howards rellies...

lyn

Blimey alan. That secondhand shop belonged to Mrs Bateman who was my aunts mother-in-law. That terrace you mentioned is where my aunt and her husband lived.

A funny story about Mrs Bateman. We were sat in the room behind the shop eating our dinner, when she came bustling in and told us to stand up, she then proceeded to carry the chairs into the shop and sold them to a couple who were setting up house. We had to finish our meal standing up!

thought i may as well post the pic of howard playing his harmonica in the vine inn villa st dated 1978 for anyone who may know him...pretty sure this was taken in the lounge..

lyn

thevineinnhowardeatonicknieldst1978.jpg

Last edited:
hi barrie
I most certainly remember mr and mrs bateman and the old lady whom you are talking about very well indeed
the old lady i thought was the grand mother whom was in the last shop ajoing the other two shops they had three shops in a line and she was in the third one and yes she was an old hard lady to bargain with and her prices was exstortionate she always sat in view of the shop in the back room
in an arm chair whatching for kids to come in ; i am trying to think of there sons name he was a friend ofmy brothers and myself we all went to ickneild street
and in the same class for years even thou we was good friends the old lady still charged me twenty five bob ; for a bike i bought off her ;
mind you his dad was the same but there again they had to make a living didn,t they ; i don,nt ever record them painting any of there shops in them daysfor donkeys years the out side paint was blissered and peeling in dirty paint ;
still they was great years of living down there in that area ; holme,s was the other shop of second hand furtiture next to the gate just up from there
mind you they was good clean moderen furtiture my other mate georgie betts lived up behind them up the terrace ;god kid and great fun to be
hanging arpound with a happy go lucky lad ;do you recall the airy mary chippie and her big bag of chips her daughter was an actress and photo graphs all around her shop on the wall ; lynn i wonder wheather that was the grotto pub ; that picture was taken in at that time just around the corner in camden street
i am trying to recall which pub had that bow seating in at around that time and area i can only think of the grotto; the turf at spring hill never had a bow seat
nor the the warstone ; nor the red lion ; nor any other pub up the green o dudley rd unless it was up your neck of the woods ;
are well ; lets hope one of the family of eatons step forwrd and i think oneof the eatons kids went to ickneild street as well along with he foster brothers twins
i think they had a house fire if i recall them from years ago up around the back street of camden in the big end of camden street years before they demolitioned those houses

that stood there before old bulpitts bought the land for there extention facicing there orional sight
i will say one thing this morning barrie ; and lynn; you have certainly sparked my memory bank going well this morning on the old area of lady woodand of hockley most certainly ; but i have to go ; but i will be back ; best wishes astonian;; alan ;;

Hi Alan. Mrs Batemans son was named Eric, he was my uncle, his wifes name was Eunice, don't know if Eric was the bloke you were thinking of. Cheers mate.

Barrie.

Back