• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

How old was you????

dennis

master brummie
Being in the shopping area this morning,
and seeing the kids with the mobile phones,
M P 3, s, and all the latest gizmo's, set me thinking
How old was  I before I even had a watch?
I can only remember having one when I bought one
while serving over seas at the ripe old age of 18
now kids as old as four seem to have them!!!!! ???

Dennis, I was 10 years old when I had my first watch, we were on holiday in the Isle of Man and my parents bought it for me, it was chrome with an octagonal face, and chrome bracelet. My how proud I was, we were staying at a small hotel on the front and when I walked in the dining room quite a few guests asked me the time, I raised my wrist with a great flourish and told them. I suppose mom or dad had tipped them off. I have had a number of different watches since then including a gold one, but none of them gave me as much pleasure.

I was 15 when I had my first watch. It was a Timex and I bought it myself out of my overtime!!!

My children had one as soon as they could tell the time, at about 3/4 years old.

:angel: I was 11 when my Dear Darling Godmother gave me a TIMEX for my birthday. Like Sylvia I too:
"... have had a number of different watches since then including a gold one, but none of them gave me as much pleasure..." apart from another TIMEX which my lovely Uncle Reg gave me for Christmas 1966.

Chris :angel:

Sorry Folks I had my first watch at 8 I was in charge of the school bell at Cowper Street Aston :)

It was a Newmark or something like I found it before Christmas :'(

I received my first watch for my 8th birday - remember it now it had a brown leather strap - played hooky sometimes - dad came looking for me - caught me looking in a car window to see what time it was - it wasn't a reward he knew I could tell the time long before and had promised me a watch before I got caught - so kept his promise

I had my first watch as a Christmas present from my mom whe I was 14. It was chrome and I loved it. I took it to the repairers when it neeeded a service a couple of years later, and I couldn't afford to get it out again. :'(

I never again had one I liked anywhere near as much as that one, including one gold one, until a couple of years ago I found an old gold watch which was made in 1940 in Birmingham. It is I have to say a little beauty. :)

I must have been 12 or 13 when I had my first wrist watch. Now I'm in my second childhood I don't bother with watches, so I don't have to wind them up or get them mended. Very handy if you travel to foreign parts, not having to juggle with the hours.
Seeing Alf's earlier mention of Newmark Watches, I have lived ten minutes walk away from their old factory in Croydon for nearly 40 years. It was one of the town's many good factories, but they gave up of course, and now it's a self-storage place.
Peter

Peter thamks to you I did get the make right after all these years O0

Back