• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

How much would it cost now ?

evergreen

Cradley Heathen
Can anyone help with a query ?

I have found a receipt for a headstone in 1903 for £2. 2s plus a flat slab for 5s making a total of £2 7s

If I had to buy this now how much would it cost me at todays prices.

This has got me stumped.

Thanks

Heather

Unlikely that you will get much,if any change out of £2500!!!! if it's a granite and inscribed headstone.

Thanks Mike, my daughter is on a project to find my great grandads headstone in Rock Cemetary Notts. We do know that its somewhere in these graves. So now we have a rough idea of the size.

Heather

Use the following link to make historical comparisons of money values. £2.7. 0. was £1010 in 2008, the last year the table is available to. At this cost, it appeared much cheaper in real terms to purchase a headstone.
Good luck in your search, I am sure the cemetery staff will help you in finding the graves location.

https://www.measuringworth.com/ppoweruk/result.php?use[]=CPI&use[]=NOMINALEARN&year_early=1903&pound71=2&shilling71=7&pence71=0&amount=2.35&year_source=1903&year_result=2010

You can't really do an 'historical monetry comparison' here, as other factors are at play: almost every village, of any worthwhile size, would once have had a mason off some description; most of whom would have been able to make a head-stone. Thus, a very competitive market existed, unlike to day, where masons of any description are a very rare breed indeed.

john
True masons are rare I know, john, but i understand that most gravestones nowadays are engraved using a machine . The only time you get traditional work is usually when a name or inscription is added in the graveyard
Mike

It is important to remember that funerals and headstones were more expensive pound for pound than they are today. We think things are expensive but compared with what our forebears had to pay it is small beer. Shortie

john
True masons are rare I know, john, but i understand that most gravestones nowadays are engraved using a machine . The only time you get traditional work is usually when a name or inscription is added in the graveyard
Mike

In Walsall the dressing of memorials on site is forbidden because of H&S regulations and any loose chippings could destroy the blades on mowing machines. There is a financial consideration too as masons have to pay to remove and replace the memorial once engraved. Hand carving is still available without difficulty but at a cost of £4 a letter.

In Birmingham, it is the family who own the grave who have to pay to have the gravestone removed, at Key Hill, those who wish to have their headstones dug up also have to pay (the Council buried a lot in 1954) , yet it was the Council who buried them in the first place without asking permission. Shortie

Although my grandparents moved from Nottingham to Birmingham in 1910, the help you have all given me with this question was fantastic.

The really great news is that my Daughter and son-in-law have now found the grave in Rock cemetary, the not so good news is, they took delight in telling me there is room in it for me !!

Regards to you all

Heather

Although my grandparents moved from Nottingham to Birmingham in 1910, the help you have all given me with this question was fantastic.

The really great news is that my Daughter and son-in-law have now found the grave in Rock cemetary, the not so good news is, they took delight in telling me there is room in it for me !!

Regards to you all

Heather

Heather, On researching my family graves in key Hill I was told there is plenty of room for me if I want to go in there - however they were nice enough to say they hoped I wouldn't take up the offer for a long time!
Polly :)

I have the deeds for 3 graves each with room for one more. Not sure I will take up any of them and certainly not any time soon.

Back