• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

How does it Know?

kdm

Brummie babby
Hi.

I'm new around here. This is my second post.

See my avatar? I didn't set that up. It is the avatar I would have chosen: I use it on many forums. It's an etch-a-sketch of actual me.

My question is: how did birminghamhistory.co.uk find / obtain / install it for me?

Thanks!

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome, It’s because you have used it on other sites and have uploaded it to Gravatar (dot com)

• Appreciate
Reactions: kdm

kdm

Brummie babby
I'd forgotten I even HAD a Gravatar account! How can Gravatar "know" my birminghamhistory username? It must be linked to email address? Thanks.

suemalings

master brummie
I think that once open an account with anything on a computer, your details are out there and almost anyone can access them and "they" know exactly who you are and what your are. So it's a good idea to give as little info as possible, even with social media sites. Have you ever noticed how ads pop up and they are always ads for products you have looked at? This is because computers remember what you are interested in and sort out ads just for you. Can't hide much from anyone these days.

A Sparks

master brummie
Yes, it's quite scary!
I use FB mainly to see what a few friends are doing and info on exhibitions, galleries and a few things like local history I'm interested it but I get 'friend' suggestions from it for other people I know - it can obviously access the phone numbers on my smartphone.

kdm

Brummie babby
Oh, I hear you. I was amazed how many stunning Russian babes were busting to meet stocky, balding 50 y/o British men off Redditch direction. :-|

By the by, it' still reasonably scary when a service you signed up for (Gravatar) out-of-the-blue suddenly does what it's supposed to do! Hence the question.