• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

how do I find a cemetery

Ron Rogers

master brummie
I am trying to locate the cemetery where my Great aunt may have been buried.
Ada Rogers died on the 26th of December 1936 at The Infirmary Western Road House Birmingham
Her last known address was 99 Stanhope Street Highgate Birmingham

Thanks
Ron

hi ron i was hoping she was at either warstone lane or key hill as that is the closest to where ada died but i cant find her there...there is however a john rogers buried at warstone lane in 1936 but of course may not be one of your rellies..here is the link to search burials for both cemeteries so you may want to double check..my next best bets would be witton or yardley...other members maybe able to help with those if not it would mean you would have to contact them

lyn

hi again ron...looks like ada is at yardley...if as you say she died on 26th of dec it must have been a very quickly arranged funeral as the one i have found say burial/cremation dec 1936 but it does seem likely it is her...click on below link

lyn

Hi Lyn
Thanks for the info I will try o get a copy of the record from link

regards
Ron

ron if you want a copy of the death cert you will need to get one from either birmingham register office or the GRO for which you can order one online link below for that

There seem to be death registrations for two Ada Rogers in Birmingham. One born abt 1867 and death registered last quarter of 1936 and another born abt 1872 registered in first quarter 1937.
WIth a death on 26th December I would think the second is more likely in which case Yardley may not be the right person.
Did you have a date of birth for your Great aunt?
Also most online records are Church of England or relate to council cemeteries/crematoria - if she was of a different religion it might be more difficult.

well spotted jan..i am not on ancestry at the min but yes you could well be correct..if ron can supply a year of birth that should help us know if the yardley one is correct

lyn

Could it be a RC burial? - records at St Chad's and not online also I am not sure if they are digitised). Or a church burial?
If you post a name and approx date perhaps we can help.

William Horatio Mortimer Jackson died Q4 1963, lived in Great Barr.
Lawrence Jackson, died Q4 1958, lived in Highter's Heath, Selly Oak.
Dorothy Beatrice Pagett, 25 Jul 1963, Alcester, Warwickshire.
Mabel Mildred Semark, 30 Sep 1972, Selly Oak.
Cyril Leslie Jackson, 11 Dec 1899, Handsworth.
None thought to be RC Burials.
Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
William Horatio Mortimer Jackson died Q4 1963, lived in Great Barr.
Lawrence Jackson, died Q4 1958, lived in Highter's Heath, Selly Oak.
Dorothy Beatrice Pagett, 25 Jul 1963, Alcester, Warwickshire.
Mabel Mildred Semark, 30 Sep 1972, Selly Oak.
Cyril Leslie Jackson, 11 Dec 1889, Handsworth.
None thought to be RC Burials.
Any help much appreciated.
are you certain these are all burials as opposed to cremations ? all but one of the dates you have given are fairly recent

lyn

The Alcester death is likely to come under Warwickshire unless they were buried in a family grave in Birmingham.
Also, apart from one, the dates are too recenent to be on parish registers online.
Will look later to see if I can spot anything.

Just had a thought. Perry Barr crematorium is privately run and cremations therefore do not appear on the Birmingham site. It might be worth contacting them.
As I said before the alternative is a church burial where they still occur but that is harder unless you know of a family plot.

Dorothy Beatrice Pagett d. 25 July 1963 was buried at St Lawrence Church, Bidford on Avon.
She lived at 7 High Street, Broom, Warwickshire and was survived by her husband William Ernest Pagett, a retired metal designer.
A copy of her memorial inscription can be downloaded for £3 via this link

Back