• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

How Aston Villa won, and lost the FA cup in the same year.

H

Happyguy

Wonderful to see our own Lyn (Astoness) using her history knowledge of Birmingham, to bring it to the greater masses. Well done Astoness.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh how lovely carolina....didnt the lads do well with the interview they looked so comfy in front of the camera..i on the other hand was not lol...the reporter only came here to borrow the old footie mag i had with a photo of shillcocks shop in it but talked me into saying a few words...he contacted me through the forum as he is a member...i do have a personal interest in the story of the stolen fa cup back in 1895 as our dad always maintained that his grandad who lived off newtown row had a hand in stealing it...family myth?? who knows..it is something i will never know...anyhow even though i am a baggies fan good luck to aston villa today....lets bring the cup back to brum and have something to celebrate and wouldnt it be great for villas young jack grealish if he could win the cup for villa as did his gt gt grandad back in 1905

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-v-arsenal-1905-9067929

Last edited:
Lyn......I am in contact with Jimmy Warner's great grand daughter and have been for a number of years, one of the first things she asked was about the rumour of Jimmy being involved in the theft ....At that time I said I hadn't heard that rumour and that I don't think he would have been involved, but after doing a bit of research on him, I am not to sure now, he seemed to like a gamble and I don't think he was very good at it, he followed one of his daughters to the USA leaving his wife and other children behind, he spent the rest of his life there, his great grand daughter is also an American and has always lived there, so I am wondering if the rumour came through the family ?, if so it could only come via Jimmy himself bragging to someone else, he was living in the Spring Hill area at the time the cup went missing....maybe he knew your great granddad...

Lyn......I am in contact with Jimmy Warner's great grand daughter and have been for a number of years, one of the first things she asked was about the rumour of Jimmy being involved in the theft ....At that time I said I hadn't heard that rumour and that I don't think he would have been involved, but after doing a bit of research on him, I am not to sure now, he seemed to like a gamble and I don't think he was very good at it, he followed one of his daughters to the USA leaving his wife and other children behind, he spent the rest of his life there, his great grand daughter is also an American and has always lived there, so I am wondering if the rumour came through the family ?, if so it could only come via Jimmy himself bragging to someone else, he was living in the Spring Hill area at the time the cup went missing....maybe he knew your great granddad...

hi john well unless we can link jimmy warner and henry harrington together i think this mystery will remain just that..the truth will never be known..great story though

all the best

lyn

Hi Lyn. Fascinating story about the Cup. Did the family myth ever suggest in what way Henry H was involved? He might not have been directly involved in stealing it but maybe, for example, in storing it, researching the site, supplying tools or passing on the melted down material/coins. What was his 'regular' line of work? Would this job/his skills have been useful ? Viv.

Hi Lyn, Fascinating to read the old history of Aston Villa and the FA Cup being stolen. It's such a mystery and there are so many stories about it over the years.
Today, is a special day for Aston Villa fans. I found out only yesterday that my nephew Justin has flown from Hong Kong to London to meet up with my brother at Wembley for the Final.
I happened to see a story in the Birmingham Mail this week about a father and son who are Villa fans. The son lives in China and he is flying to London to meet with his father to go to the Cup final. I sent this story to my nephew and Justin's reply was that he was flying to London and meeting his father and also some friends to go to the Final. You could have knocked me down with a feather...lol. Anyway, hope they enjoy the match whatever the outcome. My son Duncan left home early this am to meet up with the Vancouver Aston Villa fans to view the game. What a day.

Hi Lyn. Fascinating story about the Cup. Did the family myth ever suggest in what way Henry H was involved? He might not have been directly involved in stealing it but maybe, for example, in storing it, researching the site, supplying tools or passing on the melted down material/coins. What was his 'regular' line of work? Would this job/his skills have been useful ? Viv.

viv long before harry burge went to the newspapers claiming he had stolen the cup our dad was told that his grandad had a hand in it..would love to pin it on him lol but i feel sure it will remain a mystery...henry harrington was a gun engraver in 1888 when he joined the coldstream guards..no sign of him on the 1901 so maybe he was lying low ha ha but i know from baptisms of his children that he was living in frankfort st just off summer lane..

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. Was Henry in the Boer War? If so he would quite possibly have been serving in Africa at the time of the 1901 Census. The Coldstream Guards definitely served out there. War ended May 1902. Viv.

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. Was Henry in the Boer War? If so he would quite possibly have been serving in Africa at the time of the 1901 Census. The Coldstream Guards definitely served out there. War ended 1902

viv henry applied for africa but was deemed unfit to go...

OK Lyn. Going to be controversial now. Was this an inside job? Was Shillcocks in on the disappearance of the Cup? Just a thought. Viv.

OK Lyn. Going to be controversial now. Was this an inside job? Was Shillcocks in on the disappearance of the Cup? Just a thought. Viv.

somehow i cant see that viv but who knows..no one around now to know for certain...

Hi viv
On the story of the villa cup being stolen from the silversmiths whenit was sent for commission to be engraved upon for they name to be engraved upon
After they won the cup ( villa ) it was indeed stolen by a person whom broke into the premises and taken it
The owners was not involved in any way it was thought it was some/one from summer lane in that era
I was told this story way back in the late fifty,s by a guy whom was a rascal his name was a jimmy Wilson
About the FA Cup was stolen from the shop in that period and never found and they had to make another cup
And I think any one whom have access to these files such as the local paper in that area for the 1800 which was probably the Birmingham post
Or what ever it was in those giant sheet paper for news will probably whom was caught but I do believe some/one was caught for it
But I just cannot recall the name was mentioniond but it is a true story but there was a certain gentleman living in farm street at that time period was a police officer
Whilst his family tree was as crooked as they come and they questioniond him but this senior person whom was a police officer emigrated to Australia,
Not saying it was him thou but people had food for thought in those days
I wish I could meet up with this guy called jimmy from old heath street way back in time he told us this story
But there is a record some where on it in the archives may be the Birmingham post of the 1800 period when it happened as it most certainly did
Alan,,Astonian,,,,,

from the birmingham post september 1895..ive put it in 3 parts so that it is readable...

FA CUP STOLEN 001.JPGFA CUP STOLEN 002.JPGFA CUP STOLEN 003.JPG

Last edited:
photo of shillocks shop that i found in an old footie mag dated 1954 belonging to my brother..the street to the left is manchester st and also one of the shop all boarded up..

Attachments

• SHILLOCKS NEWTOWN ROW 003.jpg
    SHILLOCKS NEWTOWN ROW 003.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 21
  • shillcocks-1.jpg
    shillcocks-1.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Interesting newspaper report Lyn. So did your gt grandad wear India rubber soled boots? !! I doubt many people ever wore them. Think most were usually all leather (hobnailed) boots at that time. So the the India rubber soled boots were especially bought for the job of climbing onto the roof. But who would have supplied him with the boots? Maybe he bought the boots from Shillcocks. Did Shillcocks sell them in his shop? Viv.

Last edited:
Hi viv
On the story of the villa cup being stolen from the silversmiths whenit was sent for commission to be engraved upon for they name to be engraved upon
After they won the cup ( villa ) it was indeed stolen by a person whom broke into the premises and taken it
The owners was not involved in any way it was thought it was some/one from summer lane in that era
I was told this story way back in the late fifty,s by a guy whom was a rascal his name was a jimmy Wilson
About the FA Cup was stolen from the shop in that period and never found and they had to make another cup
And I think any one whom have access to these files such as the local paper in that area for the 1800 which was probably the Birmingham post
Or what ever it was in those giant sheet paper for news will probably whom was caught but I do believe some/one was caught for it
But I just cannot recall the name was mentioniond but it is a true story but there was a certain gentleman living in farm street at that time period was a police officer
Whilst his family tree was as crooked as they come and they questioniond him but this senior person whom was a police officer emigrated to Australia,
Not saying it was him thou but people had food for thought in those days
I wish I could meet up with this guy called jimmy from old heath street way back in time he told us this story
But there is a record some where on it in the archives may be the Birmingham post of the 1800 period when it happened as it most certainly did
Alan,,Astonian,,,,,

Hi Alan. Thanks for that. Lyn (Astoness) has now posted a newspaper cutting. An intriguing event. Thinking about it I expect there were probably a lot of people who'd want to get their hands on the Cup. Not necessarily for the silver content but for what it represents. Being able to bring the Cup 'north' and keeping it away from the London clubs would have been a big thing. There have now been 4 FA Cups made in all. Viv.

Interesting newspaper report Lyn. So did your gt grandad wear India rubber soled boots? !! I doubt many people ever wore them. Think most were usually all leather (hobnailed) boots at that time. So the the India rubber soled boots were especially bought for the job of climbing onto the roof. But who would have supplied him with the boots? Maybe he bought the boots from Shillcocks. Did Shillcocks sell them in his shop? Viv.

viv i have to say i dont know to all of those questions lol...i have always thought though wouldnt it be great if the cup was dug up in an old back garden..what a story that would make..stranger things have happened..just look at the staffordshire hoard..

lyn

Hi Lynn
Just a brief wording
But to say a big thank you for putting the cutting up on the forum I was really surprised how quickly some/one could get the access to the story line
Which matches up to part of the story lines I was told by this guy jimmy from heath street Winston green was telling us
I think it was great that you got the story lines or cutting for us I can imagine how you feel when its a family story with written paper work to go with your history
Like myself I have written evedince about the story of William yarnold being hung in worcestershire gaol 1925 for the murder of his wife
I have the book of crimes with it in and I have original photograph taken by the press news paper cutting with him in the dock and the condemned cell
Where he was hung and some one sent me the death certificates stating death by hanging word gaol and signed and dated but also
His wife death. Death certified, death by murder by the name of husband William yarn old
So I can see you are happy by having what you have got it makes it special does it to have a connection which was history in the land
Lynn keep up the good hard work you are doing for us I am truly amazed by what and the volume you are turning out
Have a good day , best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,'

I forgot to say in my posting that Jimmy Warner was the Aston Villa goalkeeper in that Villa victory .....

Funny how all us family historians get excited about the possibility of having a villain in the family!! Would have been frowned upon years ago and covered up, but now we like to uncover the 'characters' and the colourful lives they might have led.

This certainly would make a good subject for a drama, especially as there's so much speculation about who might have been involved. Viv.

thanks viv quite a twist...as you know even my gt grandad got dragged into this who dun it but there has been so much gossip and speculation over the years i am quite sure we will never get to bottom of this mystery...mind you i will say this...why did our dad keep an old newspaper article about the stolen cup if he didnt think his grandad had a hand in it lol....the plot thickens...:D:D

lyn

Hi to you all,

Regards the cup............... sorting through my beloved late husbands things I have come across loads of Aston Villa memorabilia such as programmes dating from the 1950's autograph newspaper cutting, little badges with pictures on, enamel badges, a signed away shirt from the 1980's, ties, oh its endless!! One thing amongst all this is a pewter tankard engraved with all the FA cup winners from 1871-2 to1972-3 mentioning Aston Villa 7 times. It's a bit battered with a few dinks but if I remember correctly he picked it up at a boot sale as it is. My darling was Aston Villa from birth to his death.

Attachments

• 20180429_1.JPG
    20180429_1.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20180429_2.JPG
    20180429_2.JPG
    442.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180429_4.JPG
    20180429_4.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20180429_5.JPG
    20180429_5.JPG
    947.2 KB · Views: 15
thats a smashing pewter mug rowan i can easily see how your husband would have cherished it as no doubt you will too...please accept my sincere condolences on your recent loss....keep your chin up

lyn xx

Back