• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hovis=Premier Foods, Garretts Green to close

Yes, they are closing the site to preserve the Hovis brand, by closing Garretts Green and concentrating on their other bakeries, it will stay viable - well thatws the spiel they are putting out anyway.
As JennyAnn says, a sad time for Brum, but especially for the workers so close to Christmas again, they have no compassion!!!
Sue

I heard that one reason quoted is the loss of the contract to supply bread to Co-Op.

This is such sad and devastating news for the area. I feel so sorry for the families involved just before Christmas. I remember when this happened to us, it is so devastating..words can't describe how these families must feel.

Hi Wendy,
I know the feeling all too well, I was made redundant seven times in the
last 20 years of my working life. At least I was able to find another job
on each occasion with hardly a break, but it gets harder as the years go by.
My heartfelt sympathy to those affected.
The one bright spark for employment in the local area today was the announcement
by Monarch Airlines that they will be opening a large aircraft servicing facility
at Birmingham Airport, and creating many jobs.

Kind regards

Dave

I hope they manage to find employment. As an aside I do wonder how Monarch survive the planes are real cattle class. I have flown twice with them the worst experience of my life. I would never fly with them again. Hopefully they will build planes with fewer seats or just bigger planes. I wish Hovis employees all the best and hope they find work soon.

Hi all, i was telling my friend out in spain the very sad news that the bakery was to close and how meny years ago i would pass to my first job at garrets green bakery with lovely smell of breads baking at the very young age of just 15 . this is a little of whot he emailed Yes, I saw the news about the bakery in Garrets Green, this used to belong to RHM Bakeries years ago. I worked there as Bread and Confectionary Technologist in the early 70’s, I was seconded from the Regional Office of RHM in Golden Hillock Road, Smallheath for 2 years before being transferred to Enterprise Bakeries in Coventry as General Manager. The bakery used to be called Harding’s Bakeries. Just around the corner from my first bakery in Smallheath, The Uppercrust, was Wimbush Bakery which was also RHM, they used to produce the Mr. Kipling range of products, I also worked there for a time in the 70’s.my old friend later had a bakery at the fox and goose. like the lovly wendy i feel very sad for the 900 that will be out of work at a time when you most need funds .

Hi all, i was telling my friend out in spain the very sad news that the bakery was to close and how meny years ago i would pass to my first job at garrets green bakery with lovely smell of breads baking at the very young age of just 15 . this is a little of whot he emailed Yes, I saw the news about the bakery in Garrets Green, this used to belong to RHM Bakeries years ago. I worked there as Bread and Confectionary Technologist in the early 70’s, I was seconded from the Regional Office of RHM in Golden Hillock Road, Smallheath for 2 years before being transferred to Enterprise Bakeries in Coventry as General Manager. The bakery used to be called Harding’s Bakeries. Just around the corner from my first bakery in Smallheath, The Uppercrust, was Wimbush Bakery which was also RHM, they used to produce the Mr. Kipling range of products, I also worked there for a time in the 70’s.my old friend later had a bakery at the fox and goose. like the lovly wendy i feel very sad for the 900 that will be out of work at a time when you most need funds .
Fantastic you were ahead of myself I was a Production Manager at Garretts Green bakery RHM from 1995 to 2009 do you remember Doug Fry and Christine Wightman

I believe there was a Winbush bakery very close to the Small Heath library now a Mosque.
The cream bus were to "die for". I am dreaming

Ernie

Back