• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Houston Family

jjuj

master brummie
Hi, I am trying to trace the Houston Family 1901. I have the address of 72 Ellen Street.
I have birth certificate for Robert Henry Houston b Oct 1901 father Robert Arthur Houston [Bill Poster – Journeyman] mother M Houston. Other children they had were, Annie /Pat, b 1890 Harold, Ivy & Ida

I have a family in the 1891 census 2 Uxbridge Place, which could be the same, but I am unsure:

Piece: RG12/2371 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 26
Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: St Marks
Folio: 20 Page: 33 Schedule: 202
Address: 2 Uxbridge Place

I would be very grateful if anyone can help

not sure if you had the 1901 but they are at 72 ellen st. as you said

robert houston 32 ??(line through it) bill poster b. lowestoft suffolk
mary 37
harold 15 gold jeweller
patti 11
sidney 9
gertrude 8
bertie 5
ivy 2
all born bham
also living with them annie knight sister in law 35 stitcher saddlery b.bham

in 1911 they are at 84 ellen st.

robert houston 63 (this is correct age) bill poster for railway b.lowestoft
mary 44
patti 21
gertrude 17 electro plater cycles
bertram 15 rubber stamp maker
ivy 12
robert 9
ida 7 all b. bham

they had been married for 24 yrs and had 11 children but 4 had died

the 1891 is the one you found in uxbridge place, ladywood

robert a houston 43 bill poster (says b. norfolk)
mary 27
charles 12
harold 5
annie 1
sarah a knight sister in law 24 all b. bham

in 1881 he is with a previous wife in ryland rd. edgbaston bham

robert a houston 33 furniture dealer b. norfolk
susannah 34 b. lowestoft
alfred 8 b. bham
sarah 7 b.bham
charles w. 2 b.bham

Thanks Sheba. What trobled me about the 1891 census was that Robert & Mary did not marry untill 1889 and there was a son Charles age 12. And I could not find a birth for Harold Houston only for a Harold Knight!
I don't have access to the 1901 census.

Sydney age 9 is a surprise! Had not heard of him before.:rolleyes:

in 1881 he is with a previous wife in ryland rd. edgbaston bham

robert a houston 33 furniture dealer b. norfolk
susannah 34 b. lowestoft
alfred 8 b. bham
sarah 7 b.bham
charles w. 2 b.bham
I thought he must have been married previously. The plot thickens. Thank you

his second marr. was robert arthur houston to mary eliza knight 1889 jan-mar bham 6d 188

susannah augusta houston b. 1851 died 1886 in kings norton.

the marriage was susannah augusta d case to robert arthur houston

1870 jan-mar mile end old town, london. 1c 805

in 1871 they were living in hannibal rd. mile end old town

they were lodgers

robert a houston 23 professional machinist to diorama? (unemployed) b. lowestoft.

susannah a houston 23 b. lowestoft
bessie 8 mths b. stepney middx.

robert houston was still at 84 ellen st. in 1912

in 1918 bertram is on absent voters list for 84 ellen st. his reg. info is
H/50910 Pte Imp. Camel corps
also harold on absent voters list for same address. his info. 316050 Dvr. 32nd middlesex r. inf.

in 1920 mary houston and bertram houston at 84 ellen st.

various members of the family continued to live in 84 ellen st. up to at least 1950 which is the latest electoral rolls i have.

Thank you so much Shera
Gosh, so much to take in and digest. :shocked: The family were in Ellen Street as you say. Some were there until mid 60's prior to Patti's death.

The person I was most concerned about is Harold W, who does not seem to appear on birth records as a Houston. There is a birth record for a Knight being born march 1886 6d 74. who i suppose could be Mary's child before she married Robert!:) or even sister Sarah! Is there any way I can check this out without a birth certificate? I am so hoping he is a Houston :stressed:

i see your problem :rolleyes:

as susannah the first wife didnt die till apr-jun 1886 and harold warner knight was born 1886 jan-mar it may be that the second wife mary had this child from another father as she didnt marry robert until 1889. i would have thought if it was his he would have married her as soon as his first wife died.

checked on igi but nothing appears.

Back