• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Housing for ex-servicemen

M

mike-g

A cutting I found in my fathers diary for 1951. I dont know what " soldier " said in his letter to prompt my father to write this reply.

Public Opinion
He wants a home
to defend!
ALLOW me to congratulate
Soldier and say how
much I enjoyed the spirit behind his article on defence in Public Opinion last Thursday. My conscience was .....ed, because I am one of many hundreds of ex-Service men in Birmingham who are

young, healthy and ex‑
perienced in the art of war

(and leadership). I would like to tell "Soldier" why I am not still in uniform.
I volunteered for service twice prior to 1939 and again in the black period of 1939. I was called up on 1 September, 1939
My wife and I had been married two years and had a neat, small house, all our own. During the bombing my wife went to live with mother. It is quite a long, involved story —but we lost our little house. (Houses were plentiful in those days, there was a war on, wha t did we care?)
We registered with the Estates Department in 1944, and now, after 6.5 years, we are still waiting for a house.
On my demobilisation in December, 1945, I hung around for a while, and then rejoined a local Territorial A.A unit.
I finished my service this year to become a fully-fledged house-hunter.

My wife and I and our two children are not Welsh, Irish, or Scots; we are just
" Brummies," so what chance have we with our City Fathers where houses are concerned?

I am' " Soldier," as you may have guessed, a little bitter. If the worst came I suppose I should have another go., because I am one of thousands of others I love this blessed England, but having four times volunteered and lost my house as a result of it, I for one am going cautiously. I do not expect reward or even preferential treatment for my services, but I did expect a fair
deal. .
For my part I say: Let the men who have homes to fight for do the fighting. Me, I'll grab a house.
" DISILLUSIONED." Birmingham, 6.

Unfortunately Mike-g it's still going on today, here and in America, just seen something on the news to do with an American that served in the Iraq war, and he is getting the same treatment.....perhaps the country or the goverment should realise that the men in the forces really do need help and recognition when they either come back from war or come out he forces....we haven't learnt anything in over 50 years :)

Back