• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Housing : Birmingham Council Municipal Housing

I can remember it being used in "bandage form to insulate scientific apparatus in the 1960s, and if you were a fan of American cigarettes in the 50s t
it could have been in your cigarette filter!
Mike, that "bandage form" was unfortunately used in SO many applications from large boats to insulate pipes against heat loss to multifamily dwellings in the heating system. It had global use and was easy to fabricate and install (at human cost). As mort said in an earlier post it had so many uses in business/industry, it was easy to do and costs were minimal. The downside to all of this is that what we thought was saved is now being paid in very expensive remediation costs and death!
Very bad stuff!

thanks.
i have a friend living a few houses down from that one. :grinning:
Awwwww. My mom used to live in Billingsley Road. She moved down to Bournemouth in 2011, so that my sister could care for her full time. She died in 2014. My moms name was Mrs Shaw.

And the house I was born in, the one with the black framed door. Dad's nice :(garden turned into a car park.

Attachments

• Ashampoo_Snap_02 May 2021_12h34m44s_001_ (2).jpg
    Ashampoo_Snap_02 May 2021_12h34m44s_001_ (2).jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
That's they way they always were, the lower end where I lived had the paving close to the fence and the lawn area to the roadside, further up the road they reversed it putting the lawn area close to the fence and the paving at the roadside,
The trees have grown to full maturity and some have been removed as dangerous, some replaced with new saplings.

Thank you for a very concise reply, I was involved in building 61 to 66 and at that time many naughty things were done with concrete including in a temperature -5deg C one winter putting anti-freeze in the mortar mix, until stopped by the Clerk of the Works. The strange thing is that a council house on a council estate was just that and never given another thought about the genesis of it, but it would appear that there is a whole history to be explored, but one thing that stands out is that they have lasted well and while 60s built blocks of flats are demolished the council house or ex council house goes on.
Mikejee
My knowledge of the DLO system is limited, but I always understood that it was a scheme to cut the costs by trimming the surplus workforce (I could enlarge on this but it relates to Devon not Birmingham and it might upset any mods because I went off theme) and attempting to cut the construction costs. But an interesting thought were any forum members involved in this side of the councils operations?
Again BHF members have answered a question, thank you all for your input.

Bob
Hi, late to this thread I know.
I served my time as a apprentice carpenter with the council in the 80s.
I can remember it bieng called a DLO about that time.
About 88 I worked in a few sites owned by the council constructing new houses and been used as a way to give apprentices experience of construction rather than maintenance as required by the training scheme.

Back