• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

House Numbers in Long Acre

P

Pett

I am trying to find any information on the house numbers in Long Acre, Nechells in the early 1900's, can any one help. Also does anyone have any pictures of Long Acre?

Hi

I believe the numbers started at the top of Long Acre from Charles Arthur St. evens on the east side odds on the west side right down to Cuckoo Bridge.

I've only got this one photo, which I believe was near the top of the hill.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Long Acre Railway terrace.jpg
    Nechells Long Acre Railway terrace.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 42
My moms aunt lived in one of those houses pictured and my grand-parents lived behind.
My Great Grandmother was killed by a Pickfords lorry in that exact spot.

Yes Phil. Here it is in blue. As you said , evens on east, odds on west. The Prince of wales pub shown on the east corner of Thimble mille lane and Long acre is no 72. The chapel would, i think, be around no 130(though it itself was not numbered)

map_c_1902_methodist_chapel_long_acre.jpg

my sister lives in longacre...cracking pic phil of how is once looked..thanks for the map mike..makes it so much easier....

lyn:)

hi guys does any body remember the bellamies family from long acre in the early years
as they was old friends of mine
best wishes astonion

Hi, I’m trying to locate where my grand parents house was, then and now where it would have stood in present day. Numbers 7 and 8 back of 41 Long Acre. Can anyone help?

They were the Mills family at number 8 and the Carters at number 7. My Nan married Fred Mills and eventually moved from number 7 to 8 ha ha.

Map c1950
1630756979084.png

map c1978 - red marker is where 7 and 8 would roughly have been - that bit of Long Acre no longer exists.
1630757102552.png

That’s absolutely fantastic thank you. I’m going to take my uncle on a trip down memory lane, sad that part of long acre no longer exists. But we can kinda pin point where it would have been thanks to you!
I’m also going to see the back to back tour in Brum to see what the house might have looked like. My grandparents had 10 kids by the time they moved to a bigger house, one of them my mum. How they all fit in that tiny house I’ll never know. Thank you

Hi All, loving the maps, I'm looking for 88 Long Acre, Nechells - does any one have a map of the area or photos please?

Hi All, loving the maps, I'm looking for 88 Long Acre, Nechells - does any one have a map of the area or photos please?
if you put in long acre in the search box there should be a few old photos dotted around on the forum

HJowever by looking at directoies, anmd electoral rolls I have marked where I am certain no 88 was on a 1913 map. It is numbered and coloured in red. The other numbered buildings are accurate from the sources mentioned

top long acre 1913 partially numbered.jpg

todays st view... because the line of thimble mill lane has not changed at a guess i think no 88 would have been where wing yip is now...the name of the pub on the corner escapes me but i know there are photos of it somewhere on the forum

Last edited:
todays st view... because the line of thimble mill lane has not changed at a guess i think no 88 would have been where wing yip is now...the name of the pub on the corner escapes me but i know there are photos of it somewhere on the forum
On early maps it is the Prince of Wales

Back