• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

House history

I have a gt grandad that was born back of 61 Witton St, would that be where Park Villas are now ?

Witton Road & Witton Lane are near Villa Park, Witton Street is in Bordesley/Small Heath just several hundred yards from St Andrews (Bham City).

It’s Witton St in Small Heath that I mean, it runs off garrison lane, when I look on google earth the numbers of the houses go up to 59 Witton St, then there are Park Villas

Looking at older maps there have been some changes so depending when it was it's possible the numbering has changed.

Thanks. The reason I asked is that from old maps it looks as if the street changed around WW1. I will have a look and see if I can work out if or how the numbering changed..

On the 1881 census the numbering goes from 61 to houses in court 8 and then goes to 62. I can't read the surname at 1 ct 8 - this is it
1620296044881.png
If this is the right place then it is where Park Villas are now. See red marker on both maps.
1620296170132.png1620296099058.png

Familysearch list it as Miller but looking at the birth of the grandchildren Eliza Jones & William J Crump, I think it should be Village.

Thank you both for pointing this out, why for the life of me I never looked at the 1881 census too I don’t know ! William J Crump is my gt grandfather & yes the name is Village, such a shame the house isn’t there now.
Thanks for your help

Glad to help. This is why it is always worth asking someone else - a pair of fresh eyes or a new approach. Thought he might have been the person you referred to.

Back