• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

House history

Maria Magenta

master brummie
I would like to find out something about the house where I used to live. Can any one advise me on how to start?

My parents moved into the house some time before 1954, not long before that, I think, and my mother's half- brother was born in the house next door in 1913. I'd like to find out when the houses were built, and who the landlord was.

Thanks for any tips,

maria

There are rates records on ancestry, they list the owner. I don't know how complete they are but I've found records as early as 1901.

Old maps should give a general idea of when it was built and if there are any shops in the vicinity a trade listing could help.

And of course the forum members are a mine of information if you want to give them the address.

There are rates records on ancestry, they list the owner. I don't know how complete they are but I've found records as early as 1901.

Old maps should give a general idea of when it was built and if there are any shops in the vicinity a trade listing could help.

And of course the forum members are a mine of information if you want to give them the address.

Thanks, MWS. I've got a book on researching the history of your house, but it deals with rather more upmarket and older buildings! I have got a map, so I'll start there.

The address is 3 Park Villas, Witton Street. The houses are still there. I think they were probably built in the early 1900s.

maria

I have found Witton Street in the 1911 rate books but I can't seem to see Park Villas at the moment. Do you have their surname?

Janice

Janice, I don't have a surname for that long ago. In 1913 at 4 Park Villas the name would have been Dent.

I always assumed that the landlord was the factory Newton Shakespeare, but thinking of it, that can't be right.

maria

Looking at google maps/street view there are 2 rows of houses perpendicular to the road are those Park Villas? You can make out shields on the walls, I wonder if they have building date on them.

Looking at google maps/street view there are 2 rows of houses perpendicular to the road are those Park Villas? You can make out shields on the walls, I wonder if they have building date on them.

Yes, they would be. I can't recall shields, but they might well have dates. Something to follow up! Perhaps on Streeview I might be able to see.

Many thanks to both of you.

maria

This is off the Zoopla website. Click to enlarge.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 22
Maria its Witton not Wilton. You can get electoral rolls on Ancestry who could tell you who lived there previously which may give you some idea as to when they were first built.

The villas are shown on the map c 1915-27 in red (with no 3 in the darker red), but not on the map c 1905. These dates are publication dates and actual date is probably 3 years before (not that the dates on the later one are very informative). However they are shown on the 1918 supplementary electoral roll, so date from about 1902-1917

map_c_1915-27_showing_park_villas_witton_st.jpg

map_c_1905_showing_park_villas_witton_st_would_be.jpg

Last edited:
Have you looked at the deeds of the house? I have a house in Erdington that was original built for a private landlord that gives quite a lot of detail.

Here are Park Villas off Google Earth

Attachments

• park villa.jpg
    park villa.jpg
    753.7 KB · Views: 15
  • park villa2.jpg
    park villa2.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 13
Thank you all very much for the suggestions. That's all very helpful.

I was interested to see that the park I remember used to have a bowling green and a bandstand.

maria

I have had another look at the rate books. It seems, from Google, that the house next door is 59 Witton Street the rate books jump from 59 to 74. The they go up in order to 82 and are followed by Maud Terrace - could this be relevant? I still can't find an entry for Park Villas. Maud Terrace is listed as "Perry and Deakin agents for Robberds".

Janice

Thank you for looking again, Janice, and Mike for the explanation. It's all especially helpful as I don't live in Birmingham.

Re Maud Terrace: we have a few names like that round here, a woman's name followed by Terrace, often applied to two semi-detached houses. Would it be the name of the builder's wife, or is that too fanciful?

maria

Maria
I have heard that explanation before stated as definitely true for such names, so it is certainly not fanciful

Back