• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Houldcroft

fream

Brummie babby
Does anyone remember the dance hall over the top of the co op near shard end in 1975. As my nan had a 70th birthday party there and was photographed by a local newspaper. Newspaper unknown we was 1 of the largest familys in brum.

hope someone can help fream..you could always try the birmingham library for newspapers reports...you have the date of your nans party so thats makes the search easier

lyn

hope someone can help fream..you could always try the birmingham library for newspapers reports...you have the date of your nans party so thats makes the search easier

lyn
I tried brum library a few years back but no joy. It may of been a Solihull paper (guessing)

Fream , it might be a help to contact the Solihull news or Observer.
I take it from records that your Nan had 17 children, what an amazing family

Quite tricky to be sure because it appears not all the children were registered and your great grandmother's maiden name was Smith but I think I got to 17 - 14 that appear on the censuses (though 2 might be the same person with different names listed) and 3 possible others who were born and died in the 1910s.

Also 1939 register has your nan's dob as 1904 and she appears to have been baptised in 1904 also.

Last edited:
The family John and Hannah Robbins are on the 1911 census and state they had been married 32 years, had 17 children, 11 living, 6 deceased.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I'm a bit wary of the number of children born and died on the 1911 census. I'm not sure if everyone completely understood what was being asked.

My grandfather listed 9 (4 living and 5 dead) but I've only found 6. And a 3 x great aunt listed 18 (10/8) and I haven't found anything like that. So I wonder if some list number of pregnancies.

However for the family above it seems likely.

Back