• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hot chestnut man

chucka

Black Country Mon
Does anyone remember the man who sold hot chestnuts from a cart in New Street ( i'm sure it was New St) i am going back some 50yrs, he served them in the triangle sweet bags.

Hi Chuka: Lovely grub on a cold night and very popular too. I think there have been posts about him on here in the past. I think he sold hot potatoes as well. Now I'm getting hungry.

Hi Jenny, yes your right, i remember now he did sell "Taters" usually burnt to a crisp, didn't realise there had been previous posts on the subject. Oh well.

Chucka

Yes I remember him or were there more than one? I also remember taking a bite into a bad chestnut and spitting it right out again.

Hot taters were my favorite after coming out of the Oden cinama.

Hot, crispy and loads of salt.......mmmmmmmm

I remember the tattie man at the bottom of ramp (new street and stephenson place) just around the corner from Tavern in Town and Gilded Cage

I remember him too. I was thinking about him when I read about the original King Edward's school the other day. Gosh I can smell those baked potatoes now. Didn't he stand just outside the Birmingham Mail Office on the corner of New Street and Corporation Street in the 1950s?
Janet

I remember him at the 61 bus stop in Navigation St. The smell and his shaking the drawers - cinders falling in the "horse road". His little triangular bags with salt on them. The aroma drove the others at the bus stop crazy. I want some now!!!

As i have already said on the original thread i knew the man who sold hot potatoes and chessuts in Navigation St

Mossy

was the hot chestnut man the same one who used to be over the zebra crossing oppasite snow hill station. I really used to look forward to those hot chestnuts when I came on leave from the army, and when I went to catch the bus to my nan's in handsworth from the bus stop the hockly blue bus!!

yes I remember him well down by new st station that was our treat after coming from the old fish market to buy crabs claws with our little bit of pocket money or money earned from selling broken boxes for kindle or weighing in old papers or taking rags to raggy allens ..I think that was in cattel rd anyone remember
Jean

does anyone rember the fluer de lys pie stand in hurst st mmmmm those pies were the best ever after a nite out dancing at the locarno

yes I remember him well down by new st station that was our treat after coming from the old fish market to buy crabs claws with our little bit of pocket money or money earned from selling broken boxes for kindle or weighing in old papers or taking rags to raggy allens ..I think that was in cattel rd anyone remember
Jean

Hi Jean

Raggy Allen's was in Garrison lane on the right hand side looking down from the old Atlas pub.

Kind regards Dave

thanks...I remember my mom and next door neighbour who was a bit of a kippersand lace curtain type answered an add for sorters but they didnt know it was at raggy allens still remember their faces when they came home it was hillarious.
jean

thanks...I remember my mom and next door neighbour who was a bit of a kippersand lace curtain type answered an add for sorters but they didnt know it was at raggy allens still remember their faces when they came home it was hillarious.
jean

Hi Jean,

Do you remember the old chaps with the handcarts who used to
take the rags and scrap metal to Raggy Allen's? I lived just round the corner in Tilton Road in the late 60's, and I have never forgotten one
old bloke who used to run down the road with his cart with wheels that must have been five foot across. He always seemed to be in a hurry, -
or perhaps his cart was the 'GT' version!

Kind regards Dave

oh yes and the rag & bone man.....used to get goldfish or a balloon lol do you remember the kellys used to live just round the corner from top of tilton and norman who was one armed window cleaner ?
jean

thanks postie just the thought of those pies makes me dribble haha
jean

Back