• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hostaria Wine Bar

N

New Romantic Gal

Anyone remember this chic 1980's wine bar at the bottom end of Hurst Street...it had a sort of Courtyard and was very 80's New Romantic era...I only visited a couple of times and yet never met anyone who remembers it or visited it.......:)

Yes I remember it. Only went once, but what a great night. Vague memories of dancing across Hurst Street.

Ann

The Hostaria Wine Bar was about 4 or 5 doors up from the Autralian Barr.

there were a couple of wine bars I remember Hortes and Maxwell Plums, there was a villia player yes Andy Grey used to go in there, I used to think he was soo ugly.

He still is Patty:D

He was on Question Of Sport Friday and still didn't know much.

talking about andy gray do you remember the nightclub he owned called the holy city zoo :)

I think it was The Holy City Zoo that was located under a bridge near to the bottom of old Snow Hill.

We used to go to the Hosteria in about 1979,there was a load of us just left school so we were 17 & 18 yr olds,drinking cheap german white wines,happy days! (or daze!)

Hi Patty; You might think hes ugly BUT he's a great bloke to work for and I've met
some of his ladies and all I can say I wish I was ugly.

ALF he's employed by SKY SPORTS for the amazing knowledge of football he has
plus you don't have to be good looking to have a brain. Sounds like MEOW.
IF YOU TALK TO ANYBODY ABOUT HIM THEY ALL SAY HOW AMAZING HE IS AT HIS
GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy is a lovely guy. When Flint's wine bar opened in Mere Green we all got an invite from Andy. I worked at the hairdressers around the corner, what a brilliant night. My husband has chauffeured Andy and his beautiful wife (my hubbies words) he said they are a lovely couple.:)

I remember Hosteria's wine bar very well - every time I went, I would sneak a glass out in my handbag - the name was printed on them and I thought they looked dead posh! If I remember correctly, it was a really long bar - you seemed to walk miles! My mother thought this wine stuff was just a fad.....

Went there once in '81,was a very trendy new romantic haunt.
If I remember they only served wine,not beer.

Anyone remember this chic 1980's wine bar at the bottom end of Hurst Street...it had a sort of Courtyard and was very 80's New Romantic era...I only visited a couple of times and yet never met anyone who remembers it or visited it.......:)
Yes, I do! many fantastic nights spent there, dressed obviously to fit in (although I do remember Hurst Street having the hippy shop Tea and Symphony) Hostaria was very then, Bowie et al, future husband came along too...Lovely nights!

Remembering wine bars - some good and others not so good - what was the name of the large one at the end of Corporation St (by the Law Courts) around 1980/81? any thoughts appreciated... this is annoying me!

Remembering wine bars - some good and others not so good - what was the name of the large one at the end of Corporation St (by the Law Courts) around 1980/81? any thoughts appreciated... this is annoying me!

Was that "Yates"I think they had a bar in that area but it may have been earlier.Dek

hi dek;
no it was not a yates wine bar they was in the same place as they have been for donkeys years
at this precise time i cannot recall the name but i know it was not yates and it was a very posh place in the early years i think personaly it went down in the later years you are speaking about ; still i will try and remember it unless some one comes up with som think before i kick my brain into gear
i can vizulize it now on the corner it was not a bad looking place and it was busy day and night they had a resturant up stairs as well;
best wishes astonian

Was it Hawkins? Had a massive dark oak bar. A trendy place in the 80s took up the whole corner at the end of Corporation St and was on the other side of Corpn St to the Scout/Girl Guides shop. Viv.

This must be how Hawkins (the bar) got its name. This is 1953, King Edward Building, Corporation Street. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337375650.585296.jpg

Thanks for that photo Viv. I used to drink in Hawkins for quite a few years in the 90's when I had an office on St Philips Place. I never knew how they got the name.

David when I was little I remember my mom had what they called a diddlem for £1 a week, there were about 12 or 15 neighbours and they all put £1 a week in a tin, then they all picked a number (1 to 15) that was put in a hat and the one that had number 1 got the £15 to spend at Hawkins, then no2 the next week and so on and so on,you would carry on paying your £1 every week till no 15 then start all over again. She got our sheets etc from it.
I used to go to Hawkins a lot when it first opened I think they had a lot of the furnishing from an old church if I remember right it was a very trendy place to go.

Yes Patty it had an enormous bar in dark oak which covered the back wall. The floor had white marble tiles. The look was very trendy at the time. That's an interesting way of paying for household linen too Patty. I always confused the name of Hawkins with Lathams. Originally the same sort of shop. Viv.

this thread brings back memories, I used to work at the Grand Hotel then and Hawkins/Horts/Hosteria/Maxwells/Hawkins (lot of H's!) plus some others (including one by College of food that I have forgotten name of) and the Italian place in Library square owned by the Manca's were regular haunts. Sunday night at Hawkins was def the best. I worked at Elbow Room and Liberty's too, and saw a lot of AG and other club owners/footballers, so different and approachable, not like so many of the multi millionaires we have now. Sad that AG lost his job over a stupid comment, we miss him on the footie channels over here.

I remember one occasion in Hawkins when Roy Wood (Wizzard etc) walked in with his trademark hair and beard wearing T Bar strappy shoes like those little girls used to wear. He came across a nice approachable bloke but I kept looking at those shoes!

Remember Hostaria’s (edited) Wine Bar (near the Alex). Used to go in there every Friday night. Inside it was quite dark, tables with candles in a bottle with lots of wax dripping down the sides, music was often Al Green and they'd serve up a tasty quiche and salad. (How sophisticated is that?! Just being able to pronounce 'quiche' meant you were up there with the trendy folk). I'm talking 1980ish here. The bar/food bar was on the left as you went in. Not a very big place, but cosy and quite romantic. You don't come across wine bars like that these days...... Viv.

Last edited:
Oh that quiche was something else wasnt it. Now does anyone remember The Great American Disaster? In Cannon St late 70s Ithink

I used to go to The Great American Disaster a lot, I remember going in to town one night for a meal there only to find a "Closed Down" sign on the door.

Back