• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

The 1939 register wasn't a census as such, there are far less details on it.

You can access it through Ancestry or findmypast.

Not sure, there's a Charles listed (b1883 married) which could be a mistake. I can only see the transcript not the actual record.

Alice & William Francis Griffiths are listed as atb199 hospital Street in the 1922 electoral rolls, but not in the 1920 or 1925 ones

Having seen the 1939 register result I rechecked electoral roll for no 97 , and From 1922-1939 George Griffiths was at no 97 Hospital St. Alice May Griffiths was also there from 1927-1939

hi tracy ...in 1939 my gt nan lived at no 79 so a very good chance that she knew your grandparents

lyn

hi tracy ...in 1939 my gt nan lived at no 79 so a very good chance that she knew your grandparents

lyn
Wow, who were your grand parents Lyn? I’m sure they would have known each other as the community was a close one from what my mum told us.

Having seen the 1939 register result I rechecked electoral roll for no 97 , and From 1922-1939 George Griffiths was at no 97 Hospital St. Alice May Griffiths was also there from 1927-1939
Thanks Mike, that sounds interesting.

The 1939 register wasn't a census as such, there are far less details on it.

You can access it through Ancestry or findmypast.

Not sure, there's a Charles listed (b1883 married) which could be a mistake. I can only see the transcript not the actual record.
Thank you, I will look at those sites.

Wow, who were your grand parents Lyn? I’m sure they would have known each other as the community was a close one from what my mum told us.

yes tracy good community spirit back in the day...my gt grandmother was alice harrington...have just been on ancestry to look at the 39 register to look at the written record which lists where everyone was living on the eve of the second world war and reads as follows

97 hospital st

charles griffiths born 1883 married general dealer
alice griffiths born 1892 married..unpaid domestic duties
horace griffiths born 1924 engineering toolmaker
gwendoline griffiths born 1925 screw assembler
eva griffiths born 1931

there are also 3 other people at the address but the records are closed so we cant see who they were...as i understand it if the person has died the closed records should be opened but unfortunately the updating of the 39 register is very very slow..i have an uncle who died aged 6 in 1941 but his name is still blanked out on the register:(..i also understand that if you provide proof of death the closed records will be opened up for you to see..if you are thinking of joining ancestry you can join for just a month at a time if you wish...its £13.99 a month i think and well worth it if you are going to research your family history..hope this is of help

lyn

Last edited:
Anomaly with Charles and George is because I think he was Charles George Griffiths b1883 Aston, died 1941 Bham.

An anomaly with some of the children though, some are listed with mmn Ellery and others with Green and they overlap. Horace (1924) and Eva (1932) both Ellery and Iveline (1919), Gwendoline (1925), Kenneth(1927), Ronald (1929)and Priscilla (1934) all Green.

At first I thought it was because Charles married twice but not sure now. Can't see a marriage for him and Alice at all.

Last edited:
Think I've solved the Ellery/Green problem.

Alice May Green married Ernest George Ellery in Dorset 1913. Ernest died in 1916 WWI. And it would appear that then Alice 'married' Charles and there were a couple of errors when registering births.

And as Syd was an Ellery you probably know all this already.

Think I've solved the Ellery/Green problem.

Alice May Green married Ernest George Ellery in Dorset 1913. Ernest died in 1916 WWI. And it would appear that then Alice 'married' Charles and there were a couple of errors when registering births.

And as Syd was an Ellery you probably know all this already.
Thank you, we thought nan had married twice but not for def. My mum also seemed to think that Alice and Charles never actually did marry. Many thanks.

Anomaly with Charles and George is because I think he was Charles George Griffiths b1883 Aston, died 1941 Bham.

An anomaly with some of the children though, some are listed with mmn Ellery and others with Green and they overlap. Horace (1924) and Eva (1932) both Ellery and Iveline (1919), Gwendoline (1925), Kenneth(1927), Ronald (1929)and Priscilla (1934) all Green.

At first I thought it was because Charles married twice but not sure now. Can't see a marriage for him and Alice at all.
Have a feeling Alice and Charles did not actually marry. My father (Horace) was a Griffiths but have never seen his birth certificate so may have been registered Green (Alice’s maiden name) going to ask my sisters if they know anything else. Many thanks.

We were never sure if Alice and Charles married. As far as we know all the children took on Charles name, Griffiths but we havent seen their birth certificates so could be registered Green. Thank you for spending time on this- v useful..

Sorry a little confusion. They were all registered Griffiths, it's the mother's maiden name that changes.

You also mention Syd, who was an Ellery, but it appears that Alice and Ernest also had another son also called Ernest.

yes tracy good community spirit back in the day...my gt grandmother was alice harrington...have just been on ancestry to look at the 39 register to look at the written record which lists where everyone was living on the eve of the second world war and reads as follows

97 hospital st

charles griffiths born 1883 married general dealer
alice griffiths born 1892 married..unpaid domestic duties
horace griffiths born 1924 engineering toolmaker
gwendoline griffiths born 1925 screw assembler
eva griffiths born 1931

there are also 3 other people at the address but the records are closed so we cant see who they were...as i understand it if the person has died the closed records should be opened but unfortunately the updating of the 39 register is very very slow..i have an uncle who died aged 6 in 1941 but his name is still blanked out on the register:(..i also understand that if you provide proof of death the closed records will be opened up for you to see..if you are thinking of joining ancestry you can join for just a month at a time if you wish...its £13.99 a month i think and well worth it if you are going to research your family history..hope this is of help

lyn

Hi Astoness - I see that you have previously posted pics of Hospital St on the forum. Unfortunately they are not there now. I believe that my GGGG Uncle Joseph Midlam Sims is registered as working at No. 73 as a Hat maker. It would be great if you could re-post the pics.

My great grandmother Leah Hudson was born on this day in Hospital Street, either no 286 or 2/86 Im not sure of the actual house number.

As many of the images are no longer available on this thread, here are two. The first is Court #17. Presumably the second image is of a court (?) or an alleyway leading off Hospital Street but unfortunately I have no further details.

(Edit New info has identified the 2nd image below). Viv.

D6A94E43-B583-41F4-BE8B-0F2F8F4DDDD4.jpeg

Please note. The image below was incorrectly labelled on another site and is in fact REGENTS ROW. (Not Hospital Street).
4D88686E-7F74-44BD-A0DF-F35782B77497.jpeg

Last edited:
viv i have seen the first one before but not the second ..looks to me as though is it an allyway sandwiched between factories and some of the men are wearing work aprons...love to know its location though and for all i know one of my ancestors could be in the photo :rolleyes:

lyn

Back