• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

hi mike just looking through some photos i was given and have found one of the glasscutters arms pub..cant be certain but i dont think i have seen one of this pub on the forum...could i have a map please showing its position thanks mike..think it must have gone quite some time ago again cant be certain of its history

lyn

Here you are Lyn
The pub was originally called the Pelican, but by the time of the 1881 census had changed to the Glasscutters Arms. It was then at 7 upper Hospital St, but after absorption of this into Hospital st became no 155 Hospital St. the pub disappeared in the 1920s. It was between Tower St & Brearley St and is marked in red on map
map c 1889 showing prob  position of Pelican or glasscutters Arms.jpg

thanks mike...i wonder why it changed from the pelican to the glasscutters yet another mystery...here is a photo of the pub...not very good i am afraid but better than nothing..

img345.jpg

Hi Lyn, a great picture, l haven’t seen it before. My great uncle lived at 10 Upper Hospital street in 1881, I think it was a few doors away looking at Mikes map. Moss

Hi Lyn, a great picture, l haven’t seen it before. My great uncle lived at 10 Upper Hospital street in 1881, I think it was a few doors away looking at Mikes map. Moss

hi mosss hope you are keeping well...yes i am so lucky that folk seem to want to give me old photos:) as i always say they are out there somewhere

lyn

will do moss and yes thanks all good here..weather not so good this weekend but it is the middle of october:rolleyes:

lyn

Just realised it was my great grandfather who lived at 10 Upper Hospital street in 1881 and his profession was a glass cutter.

A view of the General Hospital produced sometime in the 1900s but depicting the Hospital in the 1700s.The view shows the Hospital before the ‘wings’ were added. The later extended hospital can be seen in post #340. Viv.

4AE80027-054B-42FE-BB66-89A34525FD2C.jpeg

A nice picture, though the "author" needs reminding that the 1uth century started in 1600

I'm looking for the name of a small shop,that used to be on a corner in hospital street, I don't have much more info than that. Hope someone can help

Hi Elaine, the only corner shops I remember in Hospital street were on the corner of Henrietta street, New John Street West and Frankfort Street.this was between 1945 and their demolition.moss

Hi Elaine, the only corner shops I remember in Hospital street were on the corner of Henrietta street, New John Street West and Frankfort Street.this was between 1945 and their demolition.moss
Thanks for this, this sounds right and I am thinking it was either the Henrietta or Frankfort st. Do you know what year they they were demolished. I am thinking my dad would be there from about 1945 to maybe 1960

hi all. so glad you like the pics. even better when you get a pic of actually where you or ancestors lived. icarus i am sure i may have a pic of howard st. if so would you like me to post it for you.

wales.
Hi Astoness where can I view these pics of hospital street please

Hi Lyn,When i were a lad living in Hospital St from 1945 till 1963 The Prince of Wales was used as a youth club a couple of nights a week.I have no doubt it was still a Sunday school and used for other activities by the locals up until it's demolition in the early 1960s.
Great article and pictures Lyn.It appears the building was used in a similar way to The Peoples Hall in Lower Loveday st a few years earlier.Moss
Moss you must have lived on Hospital street the same time my dad did, his name was Tony Hadley, any memory of him. He was born in 1936 he must have live there until around 1960 when he got married and eventually left Birmingham in 1964.

Hi Elaine. The photos that are missing would have been lost when this site was hacked a few years ago. Over time many have been replaced but it’s an enormous ongoing job to replace them. Here’s a link to some images of Hospital Street and its Courts. http://damsdeepzoom.shoothill.com/
Just type in ‘hospital’ in the search box. Viv.

Hi Elaine.
Yes I lived in Hospital street until houses were demolished in the early 1960s.
I was born in 1945 but my late brother Billy Grigg was born the same year as Tony”Mo” and was a pal of his. I once saw a couple of photos of your dad at a darts presentation that took place at The Red House. I remember where his family lived and the shop you mention was not a corner shop but at the end of the entry where your dad lived “Mrs Bloxams” I think.
Best wishes moss

Hi Elaine.
Yes I lived in Hospital street until houses were demolished in the early 1960s.
I was born in 1945 but my late brother Billy Grigg was born the same year as Tony”Mo” and was a pal of his. I once saw a couple of photos of your dad at a darts presentation that took place at The Red House. I remember where his family lived and the shop you mention was not a corner shop but at the end of the entry where your dad lived “Mrs Bloxams” I think.
Best wishes moss
Wow this is more than I ever thought I would have found out, I will ask him as I'm sure this will jog his memory. He did say that there was a shop at the end of the entry where he lived. I don't suppose you remember which house he lived at. Thanks so much for this info. I just spoke to my dad and yes his memory was jogged about Billy and Bloxams. He did not remember Billy having a younger brother "you" but said he had a younger sister "Diane " who married a guy who was also a pal of his again couldn't remember his name. He said either your brother or sisters husband was a good footballer? He said he doesn't remember "The Red House" but if show him a pic he may! He said he played darts in all the pubs around hospital street. You don't happen to know how I can get a pic of the presentation you refer to?

Last edited:
elaine does your dad remember what number hospital st he lived at?? if not then i am sure some kind member who has access to the electoral rolls would look up his name for you and one of our map experts could then post you a map showing exactly where his house was
lyn

elaine does your dad remember what number hospital st he lived at?? if not then i am sure some kind member who has access to the electoral rolls would look up his name for you and one of our map experts could then post you a map showing exactly where his house was
lyn
Hi lyn
He doesn't remember the number. It said if he went up the entry from Bloxams he was the second door on the left, the first door being the back door to the front house (confusing!!)

yes confusing elaine as many of the old houses were ..leave it with us as i think an electoral roll look is needed for bloxams shop and your dad tony hadley or was it anthony hadley?once we have that info a map will follow...i think mikejee who does a lot of our maps is viewing this thread so fingers crossed

lyn

Back