• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

Hi Mike
I was really fascinated to see other people taking an interest in some of the family past and raising some questions which the family would not have done!! And there is no need to apologise - I still do not know who Joseph Jackson actually was - but am having a go at finding out!
Flora was a very tough cookie. Her husband, William, died in prison in 1913, (awaiting sentencing for receiving and selling on stolen jewellery - now there IS a scandal - not ever discussed in the family for over 80 yrs!!). This left her with 7 children - the youngest was only 6 yrs old! I suppose they might have easily ended up in care somewhere, but they didnt due to her own resourcefulness. I remember her when I was a child in the early 1960's - she was still very much the edwardian 'lady'.
The other day an interesting certificate turned up from my cousin. It was signed by J T Middlemore MP, thanking Flora for her efforts in the 1910 election campaign for the Liberal Unionist cause in Birtmingha North. So I am now wondering if she might have been a suffragete??

I am fascinated by it all - so thank you Mike!

Dawn
QUOTE=mikejee;482319]Hi Macqueen
As the person who, I think, made the post you are referring to I must apologise to your great grandma, though, from your post you appreciate why my thoughts went that way. Thank you for clearing up the matter, and for giving us a little more information on the fate of the tearooms and the family, which might otherwise never have come to light for our forum members
Mike
[/QUOTE]

Mikejee,I Hope you read this.I have been watching Peaky Blinders series on TV with great interest,as the 1911 census has William Kimbers family living at 100 Hospital Street.
I had family living at No 53 Hospital St at this time so wondered if you would be kind enough to identify both of these address's on a map please.moss

Mikejee,I Hope you read this.I have been watching Peaky Blinders series on TV with great interest,as the 1911 census has William Kimbers family living at 100 Hospital Street.
I had family living at No 53 Hospital St at this time so wondered if you would be kind enough to identify both of these address's on a map please.moss

hi ya moss...im sure mike will help you out with a map but just to say that no 61 was the globe pub corner of hospital st and william st north where our dad was born so your rellies wont have been far from there...also had rellies at no 79

lyn

Hiya Lyn,I hope you are keeping well.On the 1911 census,the enumerator has listed No53 next door to The Globe.I knew your dad was born there but many years after no doubt.moss

Hiya Lyn,I hope you are keeping well.On the 1911 census,the enumerator has listed No53 next door to The Globe.I knew your dad was born there but many years after no doubt.moss

not keeping too bad thanks moss..hope you are well...i got no 61 as the globe from the e rolls....either way your rellie was near to it...had rellies at the globe in 1920 dad born in 29...

hospital st cafe...dated 1920

hospital_st_cafe_dated_1920_001_redo.jpg

Hi
that is my great grandma - Flora Wright! Not sure which of her five daughters is with her. Can I ask where the photo came from??? I havent seen it before. It is wonderful!!!!

oh macqueen how brillient.....sorry i just cant recall where i got that photo from but it would have been out of a book or maybe one of carl chinns mags...so pleased it has been reunited with a family member...you must be chuffed

lyn

Mossg
Below is a map showing the position of 100 and 53 hospital St. No 53 (green) is absolutely certain. there is a little doubt about no 100. I am almost certain that it is the red house, but there is a little uncertainty, and a slight chance it might be the blue house next door.

map_c_1913_showing_1002C_and_53_hospital_st.jpg

Thank you Mike,It is hard to believe there were so many pubs in what must have been about 100 yards.Moss

Hi does anyone have any photos of the globe pub hospital street? My grandfather Harvey Checkett and his brother Fred were brought up there until his mother died and his father disappeared abroad. My grandfather and his brother were then split up to either set of grand parents. I believe my grandfather was born in 1918. Any information or photos of hospital street or my relatives would be greatly received.

A Harvey checkett is listed on the electoral rolls as living at no 2 back 26 Moseley Road in 1952 and at 24 Moseley road 1955-65 (1965 is the last list available online). William Arthur Checkett is listed on the electoral rolls at the Globe (61 Hospital st) in 1922, but not 1920 or 1925, so he was not there for a great length of time

Yes that's correct, my father was born at the house on the Moseley Road. He is the eldest of 6 brothers and 1 sister who unfortunately died at a young age. Does anyone of have of the Moseley Road or the surrounding areas around that period. I too am interested in the history of the Globe pub, the connection between Billy Kimbers gang and to answer the question of why my great grandfather left my grandfather Harvey Checkett and his brother at such a young age.

Hi Checkett

These two photos show the part of Moseley Rd between Bradford St & Ravenhurst St where numbers 24 & 26 would have been on the left just past where they built Bradford St police station in the early 60's. These two photos are a little early one from 1937 and one during the war, but nothing much changed on this section of Moseley Rd other than the building of the new police station.

Attachments

• Moseley Rd c1937 Nr Bradford St.jpg
    Moseley Rd c1937 Nr Bradford St.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Moseley Rd. 16.10.40..jpg
    Moseley Rd. 16.10.40..jpg
    131 KB · Views: 44
Hi Checkett

These two photos show the part of Moseley Rd between Bradford St & Ravenhurst St where numbers 24 & 26 would have been on the left just past where they built Bradford St police station in the early 60's. These two photos are a little early one from 1937 and one during the war, but nothing much changed on this section of Moseley Rd other than the building of the new police station.

Brilliant just showed those to my dad. He was born at number 24. Brought back some memories of when he was younger, he mentioned an air raid shelter at the back of the houses and different things that went on with him and his brothers.

We also had a lot of family living on the road who he was growing up, he mentioned his aunts ivy and the brains who were related to him.

Any more ore photos of the area would be greatly recieved.

Does anyone know how these homes at 21 Court Hospital Street would have been arranged in the 1840s ? Would it have been one family per room/storey/house? Are the houses 3 storey's for a reason? Would the occupants have worked on these premises too or were they simply homes ? Viv.ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1416471872.222961.jpg

morning viv...well i would say it was one family per house but of course some took in boarders if they had the room...without looking at a map of this court i cant tell if they were back to backs or not... if they were they would have had a scullery..small living room and 2 bedrooms so there was not really enough space to run a business from inside...

lyn

Last edited:
hospital st 21 court nos 15 to 17.jpgviv i dont know if you spotted this pic posted earlier in the thread...another one of court 21 nos 15 to 17...very useful the way they painted the court numbers on walls etc as it does confirm that the location is correct on both pics...

Last edited:
Lyn
Court 21 seems a bit strange. not quite sure where it starts and ends, as You can see from the map. It is on the west of the street just below half way down, a very long court, but, as I say it is not clear where it ends . It does have court 21 written in small letters

map_c_1889_showing_court_21_hospital_st_.jpg

Thanks Lyn and Mike, very helpful. Going to go and look at the Census info again as I don't have a number for the house. Now that we have. 1- 10 and 15 - 17 I'm getting a good picture of what it looked like. Viv.

thanks for the map mike...ive noticed over the years just how the courts were different shapes and sizes...

lyn

I think this photo has been on previously, with it identified as 37-45 hospital st in 1933

Have just been trawling through the Hospital St thread and saw the Prince of Wales Y C mentioned. My friends & I joined in the early 1950s. Len Hale was the leader & Jimmy Wright & his wife were caretakers (they lived next door). We had a good table tennis team & won more than we lost in the league we played in. I must say I didn't realise it was a pub originally, you live & learn. Dave.

My 4 x Great Grandfather Joseph Augustus Dixon died at the back of 43, Hospital Street in 1856. The informant, William Tooze, son-in-law, resided at the same address.

From the attached photograph provided by 'Astoness' previously on this forum (37/45 Hospital Street c.1933), can anyone suggest the location of No.43?

Joseph is buried at Key Hill Cemetery. Although his grave memorial no longer survives, his personal journals (covering his earlier life as a haberdasher, mercer, traveller, family man and preacher) are held by Birmingham University Library.

Mark
Hello there. Just found your query on this site and although I can't help with that I wanted to tell you that I too am related to Joseph Augustus Dixon through William Tooze. Nice to know there is unknown family out there. Lynette.

Hi

I had ancestors living at 286 Hospital Street, by the name of Hudson. Also at 1 house, 16 court, Upper Hospital street.

Back