• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

hello to all, does anybody know where the picture with the shop at ront was is it a cafe . my nan lived at 5/162 hospital st and it was up a kind of opening like that one. My dad got married from that address but was born at 41 court 5house brearley st. my grt grandmother lived at 60 hospital st in 1881 jane beardsmore before she married my grt grandad in 1884. My grt grandad henry was a widow living at 27court 1 house Hospital street in 1881 , 1891, then in 1901 he lived at 15court 8house with jane and 5 children so i have lot of family coming from this street. My mom also got married from 7/288 brearley street in 1941 so these two roads are very close to my heart it was good to see pictures are there anymore. Thankyou to all who put them on this site .

Hi to all , does anybody remember the Pub called the Lights i think my nan lived just passed it on hospital street this pub was on the corner not far from tower st park which was across the road on other side to pub . In the 1960s there was the caretakers house for st georges school on one side the park on the other and then when you crossed over tower street there was this pub dont know if it changed names over the years i think there was a factory facing pub on the opposite side dont know what that was called but when i first started summerlane school i used to pass where my nan had lived.

hello darthdc, my mom new the murrays did they go for drink on the lane. My moms family were in new summer street in the 1940s also lived on cecil street. There was a family with the name cook and hodgin living in Hanley street in 1960 i think they were wallie and lily i think she was cook and he was hodgin or the other way. I also had ancestor name annie cook but i dont know anything about her think she was my grandads sister she married a george robert cook abt 1904 long before the 1930s but annie cook was still here in 1940 has far has i know probably of know use to you but just thought id mention george and annie incase.

Hi Lynn, you never lived far from my nans by the look of picture did you live there in the 1950s. my nan was a tiny lady and she had lived in hospital strreet for some years her husband died there in 1941 at 5/162 hospital street he was 50yrs old i know this is probably before your time but the surname was perry i supose anyone that new them would be gone now my dads brother lived there with them named albert perry. Rosie

Thanks mossg thats the one , memories hey its good picture my nan lived few doors down from there god i was only a child but i remember it well now looking at it.

Hi moss , just noticed date it was took on 13th october 1960 more or less 49yrs ago i think my nan still lived there then she moved to little king st or was it grt king st my memory is bit hopeless lately. I was only nine at the time so i will excuse myself ha ha . Moss are you from hospital st.

hello darthdc, my mom new the murrays did they go for drink on the lane. My moms family were in new summer street in the 1940s also lived on cecil street. There was a family with the name cook and hodgin living in Hanley street in 1960 i think they were wallie and lily i think she was cook and he was hodgin or the other way. I also had ancestor name annie cook but i dont know anything about her think she was my grandads sister she married a george robert cook abt 1904 long before the 1930s but annie cook was still here in 1940 has far has i know probably of know use to you but just thought id mention george and annie incase.

The only ones I know of were my grandparents Thomas & Ellen Cook who eventually lived at 116 New Summer St (having lived apparently at 9ct 9 and 43 Hospital St and 46 Cecil St), my gt grandparents at 46 Cecil St (Thomas and Esther) and the Murrays, Leah and Edwin at 43 Hospital St. The latter lost a daughter in the July 42 bombings. There were other Cooks having looked at voting lists for that area but I'm not sure if any were relations as the name is so common.
The Murrays moved to 217 Brearley St during the war (west side that no longer exits)

Hi darth small world might grandparents lived in new summer st havent got number mom and dad were connected to brearley st and has a child till november 1965 we lived at 54 cecil street 2 doors away from turner brothers. My nan maggie macnamara was run over on summerlane in 1946 so i never met her she was 61 yrs old then my mom was 26 came from a family of 8 children i donot suppose there is anybody out there that remembers this family. My moms brother Danny mac..... lived in new summer st till about 1960 with his wife floss and they had 8 children too so there was a lot of macnamaras. The Murrays and the Kirbys are two names i heard has a child . I didnt know there were so many cooks like my perrys so many i thought they were all my ancestors when i first started looking on the census you do find they are connected in some way distant rellies i bet a lot of those cooks are yours if you keep searching. rose

Hi moss, we lived down other end in cecil street but has the school was by john st west remember it well. Its the name of the pubs i remember one on every corner then some people wander wehy they were drinkers in that area. There was the salutation. woolpack, The george, The Bull, The Barrel, The Stag, and thats has far has i can go my dad was in them all.

Would have helped if my granddad had a birth certificate. All I have is a baptism record showing that he was christened at St James the Less in Ashted. Cannot find a record for his sister Leah who I believe was around 12 months younger. They don't appear on the 1901 census either. Several Thomas Cooks in the Aston/Duddeston area but none are mine. I just hope I haven't gotta wait till the 1921 census to find him.

hi rosie sorry none of your names ring any bells but i was only seven when we left in 1952 my gran lived just round the corner at 2 bk 26 tower st that is so close i feel sure they would have known each other my gran didnt leave until early sixties after living there from 1915 i wish they could come back for a couple of days they could answer all our questions lynne

I wonder how many pubs my granddad went to - when he moved to Tyseley, just before WW2 started, he often frequented the Britannia on the Warwick Rd. He did like his drink. I have got a map of the area dating from 1917 and there does appear to be a pub on almost every corner.

Hi Lynne , thanks for reply i think your right everybody new each other round there my nans family came from Tower street but thats going back a bit before any of us were about they were named warner. we should have all asked questions when we were young the only thing i new about my dads father was his name my nan had always been on her own has grandad died 10yrs before i was born but id always known they had lived in hospital street.

Replacing picture of St Georges Tavern,better known as THE LIGHTS that has gone missing from an earlier post.
Moss.

just been told that the lady on the step of pic 1 is a mrs adams..thanks for the info lynne as you said its nice to put a name to her....

lyn

My Great Gran was Mary Jane Moran...a tartar by all accounts married to Michael Crowe, all round that area.
hi

Quite remarkable my mothers Family were Moran's.
I tracked the first of many Grand Fathers to an 1891
Census to Hospital Street. Patrick and his Wife Mary
Fallen were married in St Chads in 1853. Part of the
huge Irish population that had emigrated to Birmingham.
I have copied the census for info.
Thanks alot for the Photo's.

Mike Jenks

Just joined this forum so hopefully I'm using this properly! Was amazed to see your pics of Hospital St. I'm researching my family and found they lived at 21 Court Hospital Street in 1843 (William Adey - was a polisher and silversmith). By 1851 they'd moved to Cutlery Buildings in New John Street. If anyone can tell me if 21 Court, Hospital Street is on any of the great pics posted here, I'd really appreciate it. Also wondered if there's any pics around of Cutlery Buildings (what a great name! nice bit of history) . Great forum. Viv.

Back