• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all. thought i would post a couple of pics of hospital st for you. may be of interest to those who had ancestors living there..... i only found out a few weeks ago that i myself did. not sure if ive put the 1st 2 on before maybe under another thread. ive looked but cant find them.

wales.

Wales, They are some nice Photos of Hospital Street.
When doing some Family History research I came across Hospital Street but I am not sure if I had the right people as I could not connect any further.
Thank you for the post Lyn.

hi ernie. well i think its ernie lol. yes i know what you mean. i have harringtons living in blews st. good chance they were ancestors but need to confirm it. hope to do that soon. glad you like the pics.

lyn

hi

Quite remarkable my mothers Family were Moran's.
I tracked the first of many Grand Fathers to an 1891
Census to Hospital Street. Patrick and his Wife Mary
Fallen were married in St Chads in 1853. Part of the
huge Irish population that had emigrated to Birmingham.
I have copied the census for info.
Thanks alot for the Photo's.

Mike Jenks

Great pics, Wales, especially the one of court 17. My mother was born in that court in 1899 and would still be living there when that pic was taken in 1906. The family moved into a 'proper' house in Howard Street in 1911 and that's where I was born - quite a few years later I hasten to add! :)

hi all. so glad you like the pics. even better when you get a pic of actually where you or ancestors lived. icarus i am sure i may have a pic of howard st. if so would you like me to post it for you.

wales.

That would be great, Wales. Even better if it's taken near the Constitution Hill end. :)

Question: Why, when I post a message, do I sometimes get a selection of smilies to use and other times not? I never use 'quick reply' so that can't be the reason.

hi icaris. dont know the answer to that. it happens to me too. ive 2 pictures of howard st but no idea what end of the street they are or even if the year is any good to you. anyway here they are.

wales

Hospital street was right at the centre of family life for us, our great grandparents lived there and my father and grandfather both worked at Newman and Sons, later Newman Tonks, for most of their lives. Indeed my grandfather Albert died on the premises while at work.
Newman's was one of those old fashioned companies who, while not exactly paying very high wages, had something of a paternalistic approach to their workers. The sports teams, outings, Christmas parties and visits for us kids to the pantomime at the Aston Hippodrome were all things that they gave to the community; along with the promise of a job to anyone who wished to take it up again after serving in the forces during WWII.
No-one should think that this made them the perfect employers but compared to some modern companies it makes you think.

hi peter. thanks for you memories. yes i over the years have worked at some lovely companies that treated you like a proper person and not just a number. not many of those places left now i feel. thought you may like to see this one new john st west bout 1900.

wales.

Thanks very much Wales a fascinating picture.
I was born in New John St West and lived there for the first ten years of my life in a back yard court at the rear of number 23. It was about halfway down the Street between Summer Lane and Newtown Row; many happy memories of playing there especially on the bomb peck which was a couple of yards away. It was well fenced in since the powers that be thought it was far too dangerous but to us it was an oasis and the perfect playground.

ha peter them were the days all right. glad the pic was ok. i had ancestors in 1903 back of 46 new john st west.

wales.

Nice pics, Wales. In the first one, our house was to the left past Buckingham St and near the corner of Mott St.

hi all. just to let you all know i have just been given a courtyard photo of numbers 37/45 hospital street taken in 1933. there are plenty of children and adults in it and when i have time later on i will scan it and post for you.

wales.

Back