• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital Street

The numbering in hos[potal St changed in the 1880s from consecutive to odd nos one side, even nos the other. As far as I can ascertain no 40 pre 1880 would later be no 89, two doors away from the Queen Adelaide pub. What I believe was the position of no 40, in the time with which you are concerned is in red on the c1889 map below, though it cannot be certain that the building on the map was the same as your ancestors

map c1889 showing probable position of no 40 in 1870.jpg

My Nan was born in 1904 at Court 9, 5 House Hospital Street is it possible for someone to indicate this to me on mikes map please. Her name was Edith Hodgkins, daughter of John and Catherine Hodgkins my great grandparents. John worked as an Art metal worker not certain where though. I know they moved to 24 William Street by the 1911 census. Loving this site and this thread. A big thank you to some very knowledgeable folk who run the site and help with us newbies.

You can see court 9 clearly enough. Unfortunately it was cleared before the c1950 maps, which showed numbering in the courts, were surveyed, so it is not possible to say which one was no 5, though at a very dubious guess I would say it is likely to be one of the four at the rear of the yard

on the picture of Hospital Street(the one with the shop one the edge). the house on the far right of the row of the four houses, is where i was born. It was number 182.
It made my day seeing the picture as I was seven years old when we left there.
Thank you for posting the picture on because now I have been able to how my children and grandchildren where I was born.

lynne
if it is ok with you all i would like to dedicate this thread to lynne webb who passed away this morning.. many of you knew her personally from the forum meet ups.. as you can see by her avatar picture it was of the house where she was born and was over the moon to find a photograph of it..lynne was so proud of her roots

to add any condolences please use the thread below...thank you

Last edited:
Can anyone throw any light on Wellington place, hospital street please. My gt grandfather lived there with his first wife Ellen Elizabeth Goddard as this address is shown on her death cert in 1912. I cannot find them in 1911. Any ideas please. Kind Regards
Dean

Back