• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

Hi Elaine. The photos that are missing would have been lost when this site was hacked a few years ago. Over time many have been replaced but it’s an enormous ongoing job to replace them. Here’s a link to some images of Hospital Street and its Courts. http://damsdeepzoom.shoothill.com/
Just type in ‘hospital’ in the search box. Viv.

Hi Elaine.
Yes I lived in Hospital street until houses were demolished in the early 1960s.
I was born in 1945 but my late brother Billy Grigg was born the same year as Tony”Mo” and was a pal of his. I once saw a couple of photos of your dad at a darts presentation that took place at The Red House. I remember where his family lived and the shop you mention was not a corner shop but at the end of the entry where your dad lived “Mrs Bloxams” I think.
Best wishes moss

Hi Elaine.
Yes I lived in Hospital street until houses were demolished in the early 1960s.
I was born in 1945 but my late brother Billy Grigg was born the same year as Tony”Mo” and was a pal of his. I once saw a couple of photos of your dad at a darts presentation that took place at The Red House. I remember where his family lived and the shop you mention was not a corner shop but at the end of the entry where your dad lived “Mrs Bloxams” I think.
Best wishes moss
Wow this is more than I ever thought I would have found out, I will ask him as I'm sure this will jog his memory. He did say that there was a shop at the end of the entry where he lived. I don't suppose you remember which house he lived at. Thanks so much for this info. I just spoke to my dad and yes his memory was jogged about Billy and Bloxams. He did not remember Billy having a younger brother "you" but said he had a younger sister "Diane " who married a guy who was also a pal of his again couldn't remember his name. He said either your brother or sisters husband was a good footballer? He said he doesn't remember "The Red House" but if show him a pic he may! He said he played darts in all the pubs around hospital street. You don't happen to know how I can get a pic of the presentation you refer to?

Last edited:
elaine does your dad remember what number hospital st he lived at?? if not then i am sure some kind member who has access to the electoral rolls would look up his name for you and one of our map experts could then post you a map showing exactly where his house was
lyn

elaine does your dad remember what number hospital st he lived at?? if not then i am sure some kind member who has access to the electoral rolls would look up his name for you and one of our map experts could then post you a map showing exactly where his house was
lyn
Hi lyn
He doesn't remember the number. It said if he went up the entry from Bloxams he was the second door on the left, the first door being the back door to the front house (confusing!!)

yes confusing elaine as many of the old houses were ..leave it with us as i think an electoral roll look is needed for bloxams shop and your dad tony hadley or was it anthony hadley?once we have that info a map will follow...i think mikejee who does a lot of our maps is viewing this thread so fingers crossed

lyn

Lyn]
Have already looked on electoral roll and no Tony Hadleys come up and only anthony is an anthony A at 572 Bordesley Green in 1955-65, and an anthony J at 12b The Riddings in 1962 and 65. Could he have been under 21 when at Hospital St?

Lyn]
Have already looked on electoral roll and no Tony Hadleys come up and only anthony is an anthony A at 572 Bordesley Green in 1955-65, and an anthony J at 12b The Riddings in 1962 and 65. Could he have been under 21 when at Hospital St?
He was definitely under 21 when he lived there but I do think he lived there until he got married at 24. The others who lived there wer Mary(may) Hadley, Yvonne Hadley and maybe William Appleby. His name was Tony not Anthony

ok elaine maybe mike can check up the other names you have given but they would have to be over 21 years of age to be on the electoral rolls

ok elaine maybe mike can check up the other names you have given but they would have to be over 21 years of age to be on the electoral rolls
Could possibly be only May over 21 then. Not sure when John Hadley his father lived there I think he died in 1945

In 1945 & 1947 there was John Hadley at 1 back 260 hospital St
In 1950 there was John Hadley & May L.Hadley at 1 back 260 hospital St
In 1952 ,1955, 1957, 1969 & 1965 there was May L.Hadley, at 1 back 260 hospital St

Yvonne Hadley only comes up in 1965 at 33 horseshoes lane, where lionel G & Lily Hadley had lived since 1952
William Appleby was at 95 Hospital St from 1920-1939

In 1952 ,1955, 1957, 1969 & 1965 there was May L.Hadley, at 1 back 260 hospital St

Yvonne Hadley only comes up in 1965 at 33 horseshoes lane, where lionel G & Lily Hadley had lived since 1952
Mike thanks for this. John Hadley and May Hadley were my dads Steparents (long story and sad). So I think this is the address 1 back 260 hospital street. Would this be as described near Bloxams?

The 1950 Kellys describes William Bloxham, shopkeeper as 260 Hospital St, so I don't think it could be much closer

Mike do you see a Gladys Ada Hadley in hospital st at all although she died in 1941. I think that John and Gladys (she was his first wife )live in 13 corville rd quinton, how John ended up in hospital st I don't know. But he married may in 1950 then died in 1951

Back