• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital st

Colmore flats hospital st.

Hospital flats are on the corner of henrietta st and hospital st , as shown on the map. They can be seen at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=colmore+flats,&aq=&sll=52.486485,-1.899283&sspn=0.0036,0.007263&ie=UTF8&t=h&rq=1&ev=p&split=1&filter=0&radius=0.18&hq=colmore+flats,&hnear=&ll=52.488105,-1.900849&spn=0,0.007263&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.48791,-1.900822&panoid=ZFJSyW-Mt1d74CbMXGm01A&cbp=12,298.66,,0,-17.5
Mike

mapcolmoreflatshospitalst.jpg

so they are still there then....thanks for those pics dave i will take a look next time i am down that way...

lyn

Hi Lynne & Topsyturvey

I was in Hospital St yesterday and you will be pleased to know the flats are still standing, they look exactly the same as they do in the photos.

Dave

I wonder what motivated Bournville Village Trust to build these flats? (I assume there's a connection from the caption to picture in post 1). I realise the area would have been in desperate need of good, healthier housing by the 1900s but does anyone know what the connection was with Bournville? Were they built before the Cadbury factory moved out to Bournville i.e these flats were built to house workers at Cadbury's original Birmingham centre factory perhaps? Viv.

Last edited:
Viv
i don't think the BVT had any connection with this building. All their projects were to the south of the city around , if not in, bournville (I think). They have , however published several pamphlets and small books on housing iin Birmingham (When we build again (1941); Landscape & Housing development (1949); Sixty years of Planning 1940)) . I would think this picture was taken when these books were being developed, and wa spossibly included in one of them.
mike

Yes that's what I thought Mike. I lived in Bournville and was surprised to see the BVT reference on the photo of the Hospital St flats. Thanks for clearing that one up! Viv.

Back