• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital or Old Folks home ?

Sid Walker

knowlegable brummie
Could some kind person answer a couple of questions for me?

My grandfather died "Western Rd" was this Dudley Rd Hospital?

I remember as a nipper an old lady vistor who was deaf and dumb who came from "Dudley Rd".

Was there a Old Folks home there?

Any information most welcome. Sid. 13.02.07.

Hi Sid, yes Western Rd was part of the Dudley Rd hosp complex. "Western rd" as it was known, was the geriatric hospital in Dudley Rd Hospital grounds and the entrance to it was in Western Rd. It wasn't a nursing home as such but unfortunately not many old folks came home from there. I guess it was likened to the modern day Hospices.

Western Road.

:D I worked in the admiun block directly in front of those buildings in 1966 when I was pregnant with my twins. There wasn't a day went by without them wheeling a covered trolly to the main block. It was only a few years later that Peters mom died in there. It was called Somerfield. Bye for now. Jean. :D

My Gran died there in August 1961, fell out of bed recorded as Accidental Death:(

My maternal Gran died there in September 1956. She had had what is now called Alzheimer's for a year or two, and I don't how much she was aware of what was going on. I do remember that my parents had no trouble over arranging everything. I was away on holiday on the Isle of Man for a week, not only had she died, but she had been buried in that short time. It was quite a surprise when I got back, but a bit of a relief in a way.
Peter

I can remember the place with a chill. I went to school in Edgbaston and we had to do Aid Work. Once a week some of us went to Summerfield
Hospital to help without any prior knowledge of what we were heading
for. There were some lovely ladies who had huge families and very few
visitors. Apparently it was originally a workhouse converted. In the
middle of the yard was a 'Pub' which was sponsored - but only served
soft drinks.

Back