• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hospital/Maternity Home at 284 Chester Road

AdrianCork

proper brummie kid
Good Morning,

I've started researching my family's history in Birmingham and intend visiting next month for some primary research. Looking forward to that.

I have a birth certificate for an uncle who was born at 284 Chester Road, Birmingham in 1945. Can anyone tell me what the building was?

Unfortunately he died of measles in the family home at Plaistow Avenue before he was three months old.

Where would he most likely have been buried, if indeed he was.

Grateful for any assistance anyone can give.

Thanks

Adrian

Hi Adrian, welcome to the forum, the attached map shows No. 284 in 1950, it was a reasonable size and as stated above was Castle Bromwich Nursing Home. No. 284 (along with a few other properties was demolished and the site now occupied by retirement apartments.

Attachments

• 284-chester-rd.jpg
    284-chester-rd.jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 10
Witton Cemetery is less than 6 miles away from No. 284 and probably the most likely burial place, we have more knowledgeable members than me who should be able to help you on that one.

Hi,

Thank you for this, it's a great resource and has certainly helped. Whilst there was no record for 3 month old Malcolm Cork, I've found my Great Grandfather's record; Leonard Cork. I ordered that as a digital download and it appears to say the grave was re-opened. So I think it's a family plot and he was laid to rest with my Great, Great Grandparents, William Howard Cork and Lizzie Cork.

I think £10 is a bit steep for a digital download though. If you take the National Archive as a benchmark, they charge £3.50 per download and indeed made them free of charge during Lockdown 1.

Thank you though. I've made some progress today.

Stay safe.

Adrian

Good Morning,

I've started researching my family's history in Birmingham and intend visiting next month for some primary research. Looking forward to that.

I have a birth certificate for an uncle who was born at 284 Chester Road, Birmingham in 1945. Can anyone tell me what the building was?

Unfortunately he died of measles in the family home at Plaistow Avenue before he was three months old.

Where would he most likely have been buried, if indeed he was.

Grateful for any assistance anyone can give.

Thanks

Adrian
Hello Adrian, I was born and raised in Pype Hayes which down the road from the Nursing home and There are a Couple of Cemeteries in the area including Witton Cemetery which has already been stated and Erdington Cemetery at St Barnabas Church in Erdington High Street some of the Graves were moved many years ago to the side of the Cemetery and there is also Boldmere Cemetery on the Boldmere Road which is the the Chester a few miles away and if you do go to Witton Cemetery go with an open mind as some of it is not very well looked after as the authorities there don`t seem to care for the maintenance of the graves.....I hope you find all that you are looking for,

Last edited:
I just wanted to drop a note of thanks to everyone here as I had an extremely successful trip to Birmingham, tracing my dad's life from his birth in 1940 at Loveday Street to his final home in Streetly before he moved to Merseyside.

The best part of the day was finding the family grave in Witton Cemetery. Needs a bit of a renovation but the cemetery authorities are yet to reply to me around that.

Thanks again for the information that helped me find this.

Adrian

Cork Family Grave.jpeg

Back