• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Dudley Road

nuance

I have two cousins, whose birth certificates state that they were born in 1935 and 1937 at 77 Dudley Road. Can anyone confirm whether or not this address would have been the City Hospital?

jonnybrowne

knowlegable brummie
Yes, it was 77 Dudley Road. My grandfather died there, and my younger sister was born there in 1963.

Williamstreeter

master brummie
My Mother worked there in the early 1950's non-medic I hasten to add . In a cleaning capacity I think, when I did get a bit older my Mother told tales of leeches as small as anything being taken down to the theatre ocassionally ,then being returned to the lab huge gorged on the poison they had sucked from some infected wound or somesuch . As a kid in the 50's I used to conjure up mental pictures of what these leeches would look like after theirb trip to theatre .

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
The change may have come about in March 1994, when 20 new health trust boards were set up in West Midlands.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
being of the old school i still call it dudley road hospital which will be demolished in the near future i believe...my 4 children were all born there

lyn

Last edited:

Beryl Hayes

Brummie from down under
I live in Australia and had a doctor in my local hospital tell me he used to work in Dudley Road Hospital. My brother was born there in 1956. I was born at home in Alum Rock.

Diane1947

knowlegable brummie
Hi Pam started my SEN training 1967 DRH. It was a new course ran by the Nursing School I was in set 3. Many years later did a conversion course for my RGN at Wolverhampton University , but nothing really measures up to the DRH nursing school way back then.