• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hoskison and/or Beebee

Laura-Jen

master brummie
Two unusual names i know, but if your doing some research on either let me know as i have some things that may be of interest.
I found some letters and postcards in my attic when i moved to my house built circa 1910 so did a bit of digging on the 1911 census and these are the first families to live in my home, they appear to have moved to work up at the "Austin" as its just 2 miles away and the census states that they were panel beaters who had recently moved to the area from Staffordshire.

Let me know

Hello

my maternal grandmothers name was Ellen Beebe I would love to have more info

regards Anne

Hi ya, if your interested the tree is on Ancestry its a public tree called "1911 Census Tree" as thats where it all started

A family called Beebee kept a little general store in Bevngton Road, next door to my grandparents' house.

Big Gee

It's in Aston near to Aston Hall my grandparents lived there.

Wendy & Tiggy,

Beebee's shop was at No 24, very close to the Witton Road end of Bevington Road. I think your grandparents lived nearer to the Victoria Road end, Wendy?

Big Gee

thats interesting, I'll just go over to facebook & talk to my Moms cousin, they used to visit my gggrandma in Witton

As I said in my post, it was a small general grocery store, a converted terrace house. As for names, I'm now going back to the 1950's, and I believe that the two sons who lived there were called Carl and Earl, but can't be 100% certain. I never knew the first names of Mr and Mrs Beebee, the proprietors. They had the shop probably until the late 1960's.

I hope this helps.

Big Gee

my Moms cousin just got back to me, my gg grandad was John Beebee and lived in Bevington Road so maybe its his shop, this is sooo cool

Old post but…the shop was owned by my grandparents. Sons names were indeed Carl (my dad), Earl and oldest George (deceased).
Grandads name was George but can’t remember my nans name…might have been May.

George, earl and carl mothers name Oxford
George Bee married Edna may Oxford in 1930
1935 they lived at 131 Perry Common Road.
In 1939 at 178 Hollydale road, Erdington.
George H Beebee born 5th October 1906, Rubber case maker for tyres
Edna May born 2nd april 1908
one entry blacked out probably George jnr.

1911 Proffitt street Walsall

George Beebee 25
Mary 26
Elizabeth 7
George 5
William 1 all born Walsall

1911 72 Sidbury , worcester

Thomas Oxford, 43 , Butcher
Elizabeth 40
Thomas 11, Hilda 9, Albert 8
Rhoda 4,Edna 3, Horace 2
all born Worcester.