• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Horticulture & Agriculture in Birmingham

M

malvern

I am currently researching the history of horticulture and agriculture in Birmingham.

On the face of it you may think that Birmingham wasn't connected with either industry but as ever Birmingham is full of surprises!

Nuffield Tractors
Clifford Cultivators (bought by Howard 1956)
Atco Mowers
Webb Mowers
The Merry Tiller (Wolseley)
Bristol Street Motors (had an agency for Fordson tractors)
Argyle and Co (Made garden tools)

If anyone had any connection with the above companies I would be interested to hear from them.

I am also trying to find more information about the change from the growing of field plants to growing in containers. Does anyone remember a Birmingham nursery where the nurseryman would dig up the plant or shrub and sell it there and then? Any information on any Birmingham nursery would be useful. I am also trying to find the oldest surviving garden centre/ nursery which at the moment I think could be Halls or Wyevale at Bournville.

I am also keen to hear from anyone employed in the agricultural/horticultural trade within Birmingham, for instance the Aston Villa groundsman Bert Bond who was very well known in the industry and had his own nursery. Park employees, especialy anyone conected with the Tulip Festival at Cannon Hill Park.

Hi Malvern, I used to work for Wolseley Engineering in Electric Avenue in the 1960s. Webb Mowers was also part of the same site. I was secretary to the Sales Director and remember the Merry Tiller cultivator was a big seller at the time, we also made the "Jungle Buster" a large machine for clearing undergrowth. During my time I went to many argricultural shows including The Royal Show at Stoneleigh, Chelsea Flower Show - my favourite absolutely wonderful, saw the Royal Family visit every year, also the cast of The Archers, Godfrey Baseley who was a writer or the creator of the Archers used to visit the works quite often. I also went to the Game Fair at various stately homes, in 1966 we were at Chatsworth House, and on the Saturday was the final of the Football World Cup, everything came to a stop with people crowding around the few radios to listen. No portable TV's then.

Thanks Sylvia

My father was Merry Tillers first main agent in Birmingham.

Were you at Norton day in 1998 at Bracebridge Street?

Malvern, what was the name of your father's business? it might just ring a bell.

I wasn't at Norton Motors open day in 1998 although I did work there for 3 years 1954-1957. If they have another one I will try to be there.

Erdington Garden Machine Company
Slade Road
Erdington

Closed around 1961, not sure who the agency went to possible Mc Cormacks in Acocks Green or Parker and Ballinger in Sutton Coldfield

A,F,Parkes & Co of Dartmouth Street Garden Tools, there were a lot of Edge Tool Makers years ago all part of Birmingham Trades.

My brother Bill has our old Webb Lawn mower bought by my Father in the early l930's. It has a small roller on it. The mower hadn't been used much for years and Bill dug it out of the coal house, sharpened the blades and gave it some oil where it needed it. It does an excellent lawn cutting job and he loves it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget 'Wolseley Sheep Shearing' while you are at it. My late father in law was offered a job if Oz by them but turned it down.

Thanks

The Wolseley Sheep Shearing Company was Merry Tiller (UK), the name was later changed to Wolseley Engineering. The company still exists today but is known more widely as THE PLUMB CENTRE. It just goes to show if you can diversify and change with the times you can survive!

My Nan and Grandad moved to Stirchley form Weeford Nr Litchfield where they had a smallholding, my grandad had degrees in Agricultural subjects and animal care,The afmily moved to Birmingham with Grandad's work he was responsible for all the animals kept at the old Bingley Hall, wished I knew abit more about him, he was born in Newcastle.

I wished I knew more about my moms family, Grandad passed over on moms 17th Birthday, mom was the youngest of five children and knew little about the early days, my other aunts and uncles have passed over now so there is not much chance of me finding a lot out I know his name was Roland Thomas Bolton.

My hubby and I found that most informative and thank you Mabel.

As you know Jean, I left Birmingham 6 years ago to live in a lovely little Staffordshire village. Most of my neighbours have lived there all their life and it takes time to be accepted. In order to be part of the community I have had to adopt a rural way of life and join in with voluntary chores - we recently had a Barn Dance at one of the farms in the village and I (with the help of other strong men) had to move all the farming machinery outside in order to make room to 'square dance'. With the weather being the way that it was, we had to cover the machinery We moved lots of strange looking pieces of machinery - some large, some small but all of them in perfect working order. Unfortunately, I haven't yet lived in the village long enough to know what the machinery is called or what it does, but I think that I have found something that I really enjoy. :)

img222.jpg
Not quite in Birmingham but close enough I hope. It is a shot of The Agriculture Show at Four Oaks close to the railway stn. It was 1898.

An Atco petrol-engine cylinder lawnmower, made in approximately 1935, seen at the Irish Museum of Agricultural at Johnstown, County Wexford. It was made by the company Charles H. Pugh of Birmingham.

Attachments

• IMG_20190904_131012811 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190904_131012811 (2).jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190904_131051507 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190904_131051507 (2).jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20190904_131122293 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190904_131122293 (2).jpg
    834 KB · Views: 5
Hi , my first ever job was at Wolseley Webb in 1972-1974. The company was made up of Wolseley Engineering, Webb Lawnmowers and Witton Electronics. I started as office junior and part of my job entailed going around all 3 factories delivering and collecting post and collecting audio tapes for the typing pool. Mrs Henderson was head of the typing pool and also secretary to Richard Ireland who was one of the directors. I learnt how to use a Telex machine there and regularly relieved the main telephone receptionist, Beryl, on the 10 x 50 switchboard. When I think of some of the things I used to wear to work (I was only 16/17 !!) I rather suspect that the shopfloor workers used to look forward with glee to me traipsing through the factories. How embarrassing!!

The numbering was changed in the late 1870s and Feltosn became no 46 Harborne Road,. theya re listed there in the 1880 directory, but by the 1882 edition they have gone and no 46 is a private residence. The site is now as shown below:

Hi , my first ever job was at Wolseley Webb in 1972-1974. The company was made up of Wolseley Engineering, Webb Lawnmowers and Witton Electronics. I started as office junior and part of my job entailed going around all 3 factories delivering and collecting post and collecting audio tapes for the typing pool. Mrs Henderson was head of the typing pool and also secretary to Richard Ireland who was one of the directors. I learnt how to use a Telex machine there and regularly relieved the main telephone receptionist, Beryl, on the 10 x 50 switchboard. When I think of some of the things I used to wear to work (I was only 16/17 !!) I rather suspect that the shopfloor workers used to look forward with glee to me traipsing through the factories. How embarrassing!!
hi pottsy,,i remember you,i worked in the sheep searing dept making the comb,s and clippers. Do you remember vicky evan,s think she married simon,,

Back