• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Horsefair Mosaic

ragga

master brummie
Horsefair.jpg

Not been down those subways for around 40 odd years now , is the mosaic still there if not what happened to it .

ragga :fat:

Ragga I,d forgotten about this one not sure if it,s still there, but the whole subway was altered must be 10 years ago now Wing Yip a large Chinese wholesale merchant in the Nechells area donate a large amount of money to give this island a Chinese Feel there is now a large Pargodda in the middle with a number of lions or dragons placed around the perimeter.Dek

It's still there, but a few bits have fallen out and it could do with a makeover. The area around it is generally a bit whiffy due to the pond life that hangs around there!

Thanks Stephen & Dek Carr , I must pay it a visit the next time im in Brum and see whats changed ......... ragga :pride:

Looking at the photo again something is telling me it must have been taken around 1967 .......... ragga :pride:

Sorry ..... looking at the photo again it must be World Cup year 1966 The flags are the Countries competing at Villa Park .......... ragga:pride:

Yes it is still there - the only one left (JFK is being restored and will be installed in Digbeth).

Holloway Circus - Horsefair Mural by ell brown, on Flickr

2009 close ups:

Holloway Circus - Mural depicting events in Horse Fair by ell brown, on Flickr

Also made a video clip at the same time (but is a bit fast) Holloway Circus - Mural depicting events in Horse Fair

Thank you El Brown for taking the time out to take the photos , the mosaic dont look so bad after all .
ragga
:pride:

I remember that subway I used to work on smallbrook Queensway and if ever I had to get to Bath Row used to look both ways then literally leg it through the subway, which always stank of wee. Thank god most of them are gone now in the city centre

What a disgrace that it has been allowed to get into that state. The council should hang their heads in shame, rather than commission an "independent" report to tell them that it has gone "beyond reasonable repair", which I would guess is exactly what they had wanted to hear.

Back