• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Horse Fair

just google horse fair birmingham. there is even a picture there. it was indeed in the city centre of bham

Horsefair is shown in red on this 1862 map
Mike

horsefair_c_1860.JPG

negritaspider, the original Horse Fair was an event and was held in the Bull Ring. In 1812, because of overcrowding it was moved to what was at that time called Brik Kiln Lane. The road name was then changed to The Horse Fair and the horse trading fair carried on for a few more years. The Bristol Rd tram service was opened in 1890 with self contained accumulator cars which were electrified and extended to Selly Oak in 1901.

A photo of the Horse Fair itself, it doesn't much look like the Horse Fair I remember that was part of Bristol St (no high pavement). There again they stopped having the Horse Fair before I was born.

Phil

Attachments

• Horsefair Bristol Street .jpg
    Horsefair Bristol Street .jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 123
negritaspider, not with any certainty, I would assume it was when it started to host the horse trading event in 1812.

Hi all
I left Brum some time ago and as I am now getting on a bit, the old grey matter is sharply in decline. I was speaking to my sister some time ago, about a few places I thought I remembered she thought I might be dreaming. Could not remember the name of was the drill hall off the Horse Fair where I would go with the army cadets, it was towards the Bristol Road end of the Horse Fair in a little side St. Next about 1962/3 I used to go to a coffee bar called "The Sombrero" I think towards Holloway Circus. Any one remember ?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi paul
i certainly remember it the both the sombero and the dril hal you had togo up a couple of steps at the drill hall and there was an old paper shop next door
you arenow going back abit in time ---tempus musus---
best wishes astonian ;;

img165.jpg
This is The Horse Fair in Bristol Street in 1901.
I know I have a picture with some writing about the Horsefair but I can't put my hand it at the moment. I will find it and re-post it on post 4 of this thread.

Between Bristol Street and Holloway Circus, it's still called Hose Fair

There's this plaque about Horse Fair, next to the mural

Fascinating thread this, when a boy I passed regularly down the "Horse Fair", and wondered often where the weird name came from!!
I wonder when it stopped? when there was't the need for horse drawn transport I suppose!!.
paul

According to the plaque 1911. Charter was granted by Henry III in 1215 (technically Henry III's reign started in 1216 when he was a child!).

The buildings here are on "Horse Fair" (end of Bristol Street)

I do like this photo of the Horsefair as it once was. Photo by Percy J Deakin. Bears a lot of similarity to Ell's mural photo in post #12. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363355287.539489.jpg

Do you know, as a lad I always wondered why the "Horse fair ", being a street was so named,and no one could tell me, now I know, was it held where "Bristol Street Motors" is/was??
paul

Paul

It was The Horse Fair from Smallbrook St to Essex St I believe.

Attachments

• Horse Fair.jpg
    Horse Fair.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 35
Back