• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Horse Drawn Trams

Passing the Town Hall in 1909 - heading towards New Street or Colmore Row ?
image.jpeg

In 1906 travelling through Nechells.
image.jpeg

On the Stratford Road, Sparkbrook in 1912
image.jpeg

I know this has been on the forum before but can't remember the street or date. But a great unposed, busy photo. Viv.
image.jpeg

Stunning. The Stratford Road, Sparkbrook images shows my old college on the left. It was a school originally, but it became an annex for Birmingham Poly for apprentices

Viv
your last photo is Colmore row showing the Great WEstern Arcade around 1900 (as the two businesses by the entrance are Harry Beresford and Sunderland & Johnstone

Hi Viv..The Stratford Road Sparkbrook picture shows Christ Church junior school, my first school..on the left..and Main Street.in the distance..Great photo..Thank You.

This was the last day (30/9/1906) for this Nechells narrow gauge horse-drawn tram. Each time I see these 'last day' images I immediately wonder how the staff felt about it. Anxious about the new ? Sad about losing the old ? And where did all the horses go ? Into retirement ? Viv.

image.jpeg

I wonder if more people were sceptical than excited about the newfangled trams ? Were they convinced electric was safer than steam ? Viv.

image.jpeg

nice photo mike should be able to find out the name of the road or street with a look up for the adelaide arms pub

Adelaide arms was 159 Vauxhall road. Trams would have been on the Vauxhall Road, just south of the pub

map c1889 showing adelaide arms 159 Vauxhall Road.jpg

A 1898 Coroners Report for the accidental death of Samuel Parish ( a distant relative) age 70.
One afternoon on Stratford Road riding a pony and trap, the wheel got stuck in tramlines, the trap tipped over and Samuel died in hospital from the injuries. The trap seems to have been carrying an excessive load but no Health & Safety investigations in those days!

The last horse-drawn tram in Nechells 1906. Viv.

View attachment 117930
i sure would not argue with the the crew:grinning:
This was the last day (30/9/1906) for this Nechells narrow gauge horse-drawn tram. Each time I see these 'last day' images I immediately wonder how the staff felt about it. Anxious about the new ? Sad about losing the old ? And where did all the horses go ? Into retirement ? Viv.

View attachment 118022
i hope so viv

One of the horse-drawn tram companies was Allsop's Birmingham and General Omnibus Co. that opperated until it went out of business in 1899, being taken over by British Electric Traction Co.

The Company used a site in Trevor Street, Nechells.

In June 1883 they reported that the horse stock was in good and sound condition, and that during the past year only seven deaths had occurred. Three due to accidents on road, and four due to ordinary causes. The present number of horses was 291.

This is titled “Stage Coach Mishap” but it was owned by the Birmingham General Omnibus Company, and may be of interest. (Birmingham Gazette June 1905)

C92949D3-F8AF-4640-A67A-74DB3CD573C6.jpeg

Back