• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

horse drawn engine

hi shirl..there was no location with this pic...the caption read that this would have been the type of engine used when a big fire broke out in little hill street in the middle 1800s....i can only assume that little hill st must have been close to hill st....

lyn:)

Lyn
It looks from the 1839 map that little hill st was under the bristol st end of Irving St
Mike

1839_little_hill_st_.jpg

thanks mike..nice to know the location...the story behind the little hill st fire of 1863 is so sad...its written by a descendent of the folk who perished in it...will scan the story and hope its readable....

lyn

morning alf...thank you for that...ive just posted the story about the fire...under the heading little hill st fire 1863....

lyn:)

Lyn. The engine pictured is a "Merryweather County Council" pattern that came into service in Brum somewhere between 1874 & 1878 and remained in service untill 1902 so sadly this engine couldn't have been at the fire you mentioned. It would have been its predecessor the "Shand Mason" that was used in 1863

hi all
With a name like "Alexandra" on the fire appliance I would think it would be after 1900 when Edward the VII came to the throne. What a fantastic picture and are't the horses fantastic and what great uniforms.
regards
paul

Lyn,

Is there any chance you could repost the original photo of the steam fire engine?

Many thanks

David

Hi Astoness. Love all the photos that you share. Any chance you can repost any that you have of the old fire brigade, I can`t seem to open them. Maybe it`s just me or ??? Thanks

crimble, some time ago all our pics were 'hacked' and members are still in the process of replacing them, so those not yet replaced will not be accessable. Eric

Lyn,

Is there any chance you could repost the original photo of the steam fire engine?

Many thanks

David

hi david...as already said when the forum was hacked in 2011 we lost around 66000 photos...i myself must have posted around 4000 but i can see in my minds eye the one of the steam engine that you want re posting....trouble is i may well have deleted it from my pc...i will happily have a look tomorrow for you and post if i still have it..

cheers

lyn

The original post calls it a horse drawn engine. I have a picture I have saved with the same title, so this may be the original picture

Horse_Drawn_engine~0.jpg

This is the original picture from post #18 (but without the people behind the Steamer and Horses being "photo-shopped" out).
It is from a picture postcard.
The picture was taken outside the Fire Station in Upper Priory.

bfb 6.JPG

No idea I;m afraid. It is from another post I posted on the Birmingham university thread which concerned the person who designed and looked after their grounds, and the foreground person is him. No explanation of why he was there or when.

"Horse Tender" from post #22.
The picture was originally published as a Postcard.
Birmingham Fire Brigade Series - Photo by Austin of Birmingham.
Notes with the Photo say the Driver is Andy Whitehouse and suggests that the Fireman on the left is W.H. Napier.
The date of the photo/original Postcard is likely to be c1905-1910.

BFB - 112a - UP.JPG

Those images of Fire appliances are of interest to me because one of 'mine' was a volunteer Fireman at Aston.

In 1879, after attending a fire in Lichfield Road, he was aboard the appliance, returning to the Station, when he fell from the vehicle fracturing his skull and died leaving a Widow and 5 children. This was in the days when Birmingham and Aston were separate authorities.

I can't now remember whether it was because he was a Volunteer, or because they were 'returning from the fire' (probably the latter) but his widow was not entitled to any 'benefits' [from his Death] that would normally be provided.

Civic dignataries appealed for donations for the benefit of the family and the Birmingham Daily Post acted as a conduit for the monies raised.

On Monday 22 Dec, at Aston Lower Grounds, a fundraising event was held where "Costume Skating, Pedestal Skating by Professor Dixon and great novelties in the art of Rink Skating [were] Introduced." Admission was 6d. With the monies raised his Widow opened a Provisions shop at 206 Wheeler Street.

I believe the Masonic Order may have also had some involvement with the family following the accident as one of his sons turns up in Newfoundland where he established the St. John's Ambulance in........St. John's, and is reported as assisting with the treatment of the survivors from the Grand Banks Disaster.

He is buried in the Masonic Section, Forest Road Anglican Cemetary, St. John's.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Two
Brilliant photo. Any idea of year please?
My 2 x Gt granddad was a turncock fire brigade. Address Little Cannon Street, Fire Station Yard. This was 1871, but he was also a turncock in 1861.
Thanks
Hi crimble, what was your 2 x Gt granddads name , i have a list of the men who served as Turncocks for the Birmingham Fire Brigade and the name of one who was with Aston Fire Brigade until 1911 when he came into the Birmingham Brigade.

Nozzle24

Back