• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Horse and Jockey - Bordesley Park Road

• Thread starter Neville Philpott
  • Start date
It looks like quite a big building for a corner public house.

How many upstairs rooms would it have had.

I have relatives living there in the 1881 census...

You're probably correct mikejee, it doesn't fit in with those shown in #47 does it.

They lived at No55, which i had assumed became part of the premises of the Horse and Jockey PH.

Would No55 have been on that corner with Miles Street?

That picture of Bordesley park rd brings back a few memoriesI lived their in the 1950s our entry was facing the shop next to the Retreat owned by Mr Pretty at the time and the shop below was Mrs Bignells newsagent the pub on the right at the top was the Prince Arthur

I know this is an old thread... But I played music with 'banjo bill' Dick Greer and Kevin Walsh. As part of the resident band in the Horse and Jockey during the early 80's. It was during the time when Noel/Mary McGuire had the tenancy. I used the 'stage name' Tony West and was the whipper-snapper of the bunch.

I mentioned earlier that I thought the Horse and Jockey was a Davenports' House. I've looked in National Archives for the brewery, found it listed, but can't see the Horse and Jockey among their premises, so perhaps I was wrong - either that, or the beer was stronger than I thought!

was davenports we drank there in 1950s

My wifes Grandfather used to play a clarinet and banjo in this pub apparently, his name was William Patrick Wilson, guess he was known as banjo bill! Would be great if anyone has an memories of this chap, he might well of played in other local pubs.
When Noel and Mary McGuire ran this pub in the 70's. I joined the 'inhouse' band fronted by Kevin Walsh (saxaphone/lead guitar/vocals) Myself Tony West (rhythm guitar/vocals) Pat Greer (drums) and your wife's grandfather W.P.Wilson whom I knew just as Paddy Wilson. Though I do recall him being called 'Tug' from time to time... Paddy did indeed play Clarinet and the banjo, but he regarded himself as a guest (informal) member of the band. I have no idea why since in truth, he was a better musician than I would ever even turn out to be. All things considered.

Hi Rob. I can categorically confirm that The Horse & Jockey Miles Street. Was indeed, a Davenports house. I wouldn't drink 'Bitter' in any other!

Back