• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hornblower & Griffin Families

lesnoffke

proper brummie kid
Has any one information on William Hornblower born 1791 at Aldridge Staffs & married Eleanor Griffin at St Philips Birmingham in 1813 They had 2 children William b.1814 & John b.1816. Eleanor died 1817. William remarried c 1820 Lucy surname unknown. Two further children, Mary & Edward. Mary died c 1838 leaving a dau. Lucy. Edward married Rebecca Slim & managed (?) Globe Tavern, Great Barr St. Deritend. Grateful for any further info.
lesN

i have a baptism on my st. martins records

on 26 jul 1816 baptism of john son of william and eleanor hornblower . abode cheapside. fathers occ. printer

thats the only record i can see for them at st. martins.

The following are from local Birmingham directories. Of course we cannot be sure they are all the same people as, or associated with, those you mention , but the name is not common. In particular t ebenjamin who is at 92 Gt barr St I think liley to be the same one as is the die sinker, and the association with no 92 , where Edward was before, and near the Globe, makes me think there is a connection
1829 Hornblower Wm. printers' roller maker,.301, Cheapside
1852. Hornblower Wm. Letter press printer, 178 Cheapside
1852 Hornblower Edwd. beer retailer & printer. 92 Great Barr st.Deritend
1855 Hornblower Edwd. beer retailer. 92 Great Barr st.Deritend *
1858-97 Hornblower Edwd., vict, Globe Tavern, 71,Great Barr st*
1841-68 Hornblower John Lewis, architect, 14 Waterloost+
1872 Hornblower & Haylock, architects &surveyor,14 Water]oo St
1882-92 Hornblower Benjamin William, die sinker, letter cutter & engraver, 7 Regent Parade
1895-1900 Hornblower Benjamin William, engraver & die sinker, 40 St Paul’s Sq.
1897 Hornblower Benjamin William beer retailer 92 Gt Barr St

1855 Hornblower .John C., deputy superintendent, Gt Western Railway station, Snowhill

There is also a Joseph C, Hornblower, and a Frederick,with different addresses, who become associated with Hornblower & Haylock in 1873, possibly sons.

Other Hornblowers are mentioned (another William, and some butchers, but I see no obvious connection , and hve not included them
  • These are different addresses, not a renumbering
+ For at least part of the time .: Residence 7 George St

Mike

Thank you very much Shera. John Hornblower was my ggguncle & came to Australia in 1851. If he is on your tree I have quite a bit about him. He was a very interesting person.
Regards lesN

Mike - thank you very much for that wealth of information. Most are in my tree. Yes there are several families there & the main bunch (my tree) are connected with William & the butchers who are descendents. Could I ask one further favour if this is possible. The 1901 Census shows Albert J Hornblower residing in the civil parish of Allesley, Warwickshire. Is it possible to get an exact address & other persons, if any in the household. This looks like the celebrated farm of our family's mythology Regards & thank you again. LesN

hello les, i am not related to your family, just helping out!

the 1901 census address is corley moor, allesley. there are quite a few families with this address, there doesnt seem to be any numbers

edward hornblower head 22 butcher . employer b.bham
albert j hornblower. brother 20 butcher . worker b.bham

Hi Shera - I can only say thank you for your help. Both yours & Mikes assistance has put me miles ahead of what I knew 3 days ago.
Thank you again & best wishes -LesN

william's sons william and john both emigrated to Australia. John Griffin hornblower to Melbourne and William to Sydney. William married Ann Hill whose father, Richhard Edwards Hill, was a maltster in Birmingham. William and Ann had 5 children only two alive when they left for Australia arriving in 1854, Helen Mary Anne and William. William had a successful printing business in Sydney.

Hullo Randwick = Yes this is the right William. He was my gg grandfather. Atre4 you related to him. Would be interested to correspond further. Les

Hullo Randwick Yes this is the right William. He was my gggrandfather. Interested to correspond further. Les

Les,
Looking at the surname I think you are descended from Elsie May "Dolly" Walsh. Her father William H Walsh was the brother of my husband's grandfather Richard G Walsh.

Hi Randwick - Yes you are right! I am Leslie William Noffke, eldest son of "Dolly" & Bill Noffke, originally of Earlwood & later of Canberrs. I had a brother, Peter (deceased) & a sister, Nancy, still living. Your email is a blessing in disguise as I have been trying to track down a descendant of Dick Walsh for years. I have quite a bit about the Hornblowers & Walshs & if you are interested I am quite happy to pass it on. On the Hornblower side I have traced back & confirmed the family to about 1758 in Aldridge Staffs. Also a pretty comprehensive bit about the Penderell saga!! On the Walsh side it starts in Kilkenney Ireland up to the present. It is the result of about 20 years work (I am 84 & used it as a post retirement interest) Also I am hoping you may be able to solve many of my black holes as I believe Dick took a great interest in the family. Actually when I was a youngster I knew Dick very well. He frequently visited my grandfather Bill Walsh sometimes with Bob his brother. Both very stern looking men, at least to a 10 byear old. I am very happy to hear from you. Maybe we can fill in the blank spots. Regards Les

Les.
Very interesting. My husband's grandfather RGW had one son Fred who was my father in law. My husband never met his grandfather as he abandon his family when Fred was 19. RGW had 4 daughters as well, Joyce. Marge,Nance and Diana.All my husband's cousin were at our house last weekend funnily enough one even brought along the annuity cheque for us to see!! We have a lot of information as well. It would be nice to compare. We live on the North shore where are you? Susan

Hullo there - Thanks for your email. I knew about Marjorie & Joyce but was not aware of your whole family. I have no real knowledge of the domestic rift beyond that it caused much bitterness. Dick seems to have gone off with another lady then left her & 'boarded" with another in Penhurst. Just before he died he went back to his 2nd wife, He sang in the choir at Hurstville church & was a Counciller on the Hurstville Council. He was looked upon with a great deal of suspicion by my immediate family though. Apart from gossip I don't think they knew much about him. As a child I was expected to bow low in his presence -I don't quite know why! I live at Dapto a suburb of Wollongong. Yes I would very much like to swap info. with you. I will try to work out how to go off the forum to exchange information. I'll get back shortly. les

Hello, I have not been on this site for a while but I am researching a relative of mine, Henry Parkes who emigrated to Australia in the late 1830s and was friends with John Hornblower, printer who also emigrated to Australia shortly before Parkes. I am assuming that this is the John Hornblower being researched in this post. I would be very grateful for any information on him including his looks etc as I am planning a book on my ancestor. It seems that John Hornblower assisted my ancestor greatly when he first arrived in Sydney and could not find lodgings.

Henry Parkes and John and William Hornblower were childhood friends. John G Hornblower emigrated and end up in Melbourne where he ran a successful printing business. Parkes went to Sydney and at that time Melbourne was the seat of power. He eventually was very succesful as I am sure you know.There is a town and many other Streets etc. named after him Not long after his arrival William Hornblower who was also a compositor and engraver came to Sydney and actually Parkes helped him greatly. Parkes had a newspaper called the Empire and in the mid 19th century his workers went on strike and he tried to bring in Indian labour, which was about the time that William and his family came out to Australia. William worked for the Empire for some time. JG Hornblower was a man about town in in Melbourne. I have never seen a portrait of him. There was a painting which his nephew Richard Walsh inherited, but he Richard went bankrupt several times and so it probably was sold to pay his debts/ Sorry cant be more helpful

Thankyou for your reply. I hadn't realised they were childhood friends. I assume that was from when Henry moved to Birmingham when he was quite young. It is all very fascinating.

Hello, I have not been on this site for a while but I am researching a relative of mine, Henry Parkes who emigrated to Australia in the late 1830s and was friends with John Hornblower, printer who also emigrated to Australia shortly before Parkes. I am assuming that this is the John Hornblower being researched in this post. I would be very grateful for any information on him including his looks etc as I am planning a book on my ancestor. It seems that John Hornblower assisted my ancestor greatly when he first arrived in Sydney and could not find lodgings.

Hello cathjpb - First allow me to thank you for responding to my query. Yes bothof ourJohn Hornblowers are identical. John Hornblower born at Cheapside, Deritend, Birmingham in 1816 was the 2nd son of William & Eleanor (nee Griffin) Hornblower. He was my great great uncle - his elder brother also William, was my great great grandfather. All 3 were printers, there was a further stepbrother, Edward, also a printer but later turned Tavern keeper. I regret to say your facts about Hornblower assisting Henry Parkes in Sydney are astray. Parkes left Birmingham in 1838 intending to settle in London. He could not find work there & determined to emmigrate to one of the colonies, settling finally for Australia. He left London for Australia on 26 March 1839 on the "Strathfieldsaye". He arrived in Sydney penniless could not find work & finished up taking a rural job near Bathurst NSW. John Hornblower did not arrive in Australia until 1851 when he settled in Melbourne. Hornblower therefore could not have assisted Parkes to find lodgings in Sydney. The real story is when Parkes arrived inLondon in 1838 he was penniless & a complete stranger to the City. It was here that Hornblower helped him to find a place to live. I have a lot on John Hornblower, his family & their relationship with Henry Parkes which I am happy to share with you. Finally for my own record would you mind giving me some detail of your Parkes connection. I am very interested in your request also for info on his "looks etc) as one branch of the Hornblower family has a heridity problem affecting their appearance. As our further communications will be on familymatters could I suggest we go off the forum. My email address is - [email protected] Regards Les Noffke

Thankyou for your reply. I hadn't realised they were childhood friends. I assume that was from when Henry moved to Birmingham when he was quite young. It is all very fascinating.

I can't really answer your query but I think it was earlier than that. The Hornblower's seem to have had some earlier contact with Henry's mothers family. She was a Martha Faulkconbridge & there is at least one F. family in the Hornblower lot. Also Hornblower relatives were settled in the area between Birmingham & Coventry. Both families were I think very close. My grandfather knew Henry very well as a boy, in fact I was told Henry got him his job at the NSW government printing office in Sydney. William, John H's elder brother worked for Henry at his newspaper, "The Empire' as a compositor & later was his newspaperbusiness agent around Lithgow -Bathurst Areas. Let me know what info you want on John H & I will dig it out.
Les

Back