• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Horace Strawbridge Memorial Details Wanted.

Kat7272

master brummie
Hi

Horace Strawbridge died in 1917 in France and is buried in Cabaret Rouge British cemetery.

Where could I look to see if there is a memorial for him? He lived in Winson Green Road.

Would it be in a church nearby Winson Green?

Any help on how to find out would be appreciated.

Kat

Thanks Maurice and Janice.

Good info. I couldn't help but wonder if there was a local church nearby to where Horace lived that may have had his name on a plaque?

hi kat its quite possible horace had his name on a memorial plaque at a nearby church in fact there was one actually on winson green road click on link below...but as you can see its no longer there...many churches were bombed during ww2 many just sadly demolished over time taking with them any memorials within the churches....just as an aside my gt gt grandparents were living in the next street which was heath st from 1862 ps you may find a notice of his death in the newspapers as most ww1 deaths were announced giving information of their next of kin and where they lived...you will have to search the british newspaper archives..i found my rellies death there..he had only been married for 6 months

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4894&lon=-1.9405&layers=6&b=1

Last edited:
The church was St. Cuthbert's. My Nan & Grandad were married there, Mom was baptised there and my husband too! I don't know if they had a War Memorial though.
rosie.

I had a quick scan of the British Library Newspaper Archives, but there were no Horace Strawbridge entries in the West Midlands at all within a few years of his death date. It seems he may have been one of many who met their deaths in WW1 without any details of the circumstances having survived. Without those details, it is not really possible to erect a meaningful memorial.

Maurice

yes its a shame when that happens maurice...i was lucky that my grandads ww1 service records survived and also another rellies medal card (but no service record) ..his name on the memorial in france and also on the memorial in winchester cathederal..not everyone is so lucky

lyn

hi maurice just been talking to mike and he has found the newspaper article announcing the death of horace it also gives the address of where he had business premises...mikes just doing a bit more digging and he will post the info on this thread for kat asap..think mike said there was a miss spelling in the last name thats why the seach engine was not picking him up

lyn

Have found the report of Horace's death. Due to poor printing the newspaper site read it as "Strewbridge", It is from the 21st April 1917 issue of the Birmingham Post.
In 1913 Kellys (referring to 1912) no 139 was Sarah Randle , dressmaker, but in 1915 (referring to 1914) it is listed as Horace Strawbridge, general dealer.

No 139 is shown in red on c 1950 map below

Birm post.21.5.1917.jpg map c 1950 showing 139 dudley road.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike & Lyn,

It didn't pick it up because I searched on Horace Strawbridge and they didn't include his forename plus, as Mike said, optical character recognition misinterpreted the a as an e. Interesting about the business, but what is sadly missing is details of how he met his death.

Maurice

hi maurice thats the trouble when names are misinterpreted i couldnt find it at first ...i think mike put in horaces address which shows on the link you gave on post 2 and up came the newspaper snippet..i didnt think of doing that:rolleyes: so i shall remember that for future ref

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

True, it's a bit of a hit and miss game. I tried just Strawbridge & up came over 9000 entreis and not one in the West Midlamds. Adding Horace was an attempt to narrow it down & it still failed because they only reported his rank. Ah well!

Maurice :)

Back