• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hopwood Raf Station

c.kember

knowlegable brummie
Hi there,

I believe my grandfather used to work at a RAF base in Hopwood (either Lea End Lane or Cuntury Lane) during the early 1930's.

Sadly I can find no trace or mention of this RAF station and was wondering if anyone might remmebr it or know of it?

Kind regards

Chris

HI Chris,
This is only a guess but could it have been RAF Wythall which is now the the site of the Birmingham and Midland Transport Museum which according to a map of the area is only a short distance from the end of Lea End Lane. I don't know the area personally perhaps someone from the museum could help.
Regards Reg

I used to have a friend (now deceased) who was stationed at RAF Wythall, cant be sure of the years though. After it was closed it was used by BMC ( British Motor Corporation) as a storage for new cars awaiting delivery to dealers, there would be all makes stored there, Austin,Morris,Riley,Wolesley,Triumph etc.It was then built on by Britannic Assurance, and those are the buildings that you see today although no longer Britannic.

There was a RAF station in Hollywood Farm. It was a hush-hush radio listening post. It had to close about 1962 when flats were built nearby.

my Grandfather was a corporal based at RAF Wythall, although he never spoke about anything he did i only found out from my mother keeping his driving licences with his address on them

Back