• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hopkins Lilly

B

badger

I have a census entry (1881) for lilly hopkins age 10, grand daughter of william (a) (b 1819). She was born in Manchester in 1871, according to the records, but the only person present that day that could have been her father was another william (b).born 1854, son of william (a)

I cannot find a birth record for lillie or lilly or lillian......can anyone help???
(Pretty Please)

Re: Lilly Hopkins

i have found the williams you mentioned in 1871 living in derbyshire.

then i had a look at your 1881 census for lillian and although the transcript reads granddaughter on the original it looks like f daughter ie foster daughter maybe?? so i wonder whether hopkins would have been her true surname.

chris

Is this the family you are researching?

William HOPKINS Head M Male 62 Tipton, Stafford, England Manager (Iron Works)
Elizabeth HOPKINS Wife M Female 64 Tipton, Stafford, England
William HOPKINS Son U Male 27 Tipton, Stafford, England
Lillie HOPKINS Gr Daur Female 10 Manchester Scholar
Annie MASON Serv U Female 20 Darlaston Servant Domestic.

In 1871 the family are living at

Name WILLIAM HOPKINS Age 17 Estimated Year of Birth 1854 Relationship to Head of Household SON Occupation SCHOLAR Address School House District Shardlow, Stapleford Parish
Administrative County Derbyshire Birth Place Tipton Birth County STAFFORDSHIRE

Yes it is dib,

William & Elizabeth are my GG Grandparents, the other william is the son, apart from the servant Annie Mason, william is the only candidate for parent, (unless he gave the servant on......a child!!:010:)

2 things puzzle me

One, on the 1871 census......William aged 17 is down as a servant (wonder if that was his punishment (as lillie was born that year)

And the other is that lillie dosn't appear anywhere before or after???

no its another mis transcription. william is down as son and a "scholar" not servant. lily wouldnt appear before then as she was only born 1871 and after the 1881 census she may have married. as i said previously though maybe her real surname was not hopkins as she was a foster daughter.

chris

William aged 17 is down as his son ! ! !
as is Alfred aged 16, both Scholars.

If it is anyones daughter it may well be their daughter Annie aged 29

(All on 71 census)

All born in Tipton, Staffs.

I see now the mistake on the transcription from son to servant and the f daughter to G daughter............just can't get the staff!!

Than now makes sense. thanks for the 1861 dib there is my name sake on there exactly 100 years earlier, didn't know about him.

Thanks everyone..........more questions to follow I'm sure!!:rolleyes:

i have found the williams you mentioned in 1871 living in derbyshire.

then i had a look at your 1881 census for lillian and although the transcript reads granddaughter on the original it looks like f daughter ie foster daughter maybe?? so i wonder whether hopkins would have been her true surname.

chris

Chris, if you turn over the page on the 1881 census, scroll down to Pollie Cook, you will see that Pollie is down as a Gr Daughter to the family, check out the enumerators writing then go back to Lillie and you will see how identical they are, I am sure Lillie is the grand daughter and my money is on Annie being the mother

Dibs

see what you mean dibs!! yes it probably is grand daughter. :D

we all need to be handwriting experts at this game. i wonder why we cant find her birth.

chris

Hmmmnnnn....It's another day now, and I'm back at work and didn't bring all the relevant papers with me.......but...If my memory serves me correct, is not annie 20....and lilly aged 10??

Annie was 19 in 1861.

There is another son on the 61 census John aged 15.

Have you tracked him forwards to see if he married and had children ?

Possibility that she may well be his child, only a possibility mind you.

yes I picked John up last night but have not tracked forwards yet...........so many avenues to explore!!:D

A possibility for you, Dudley Port is next to Tipton,

1871 Census record for John Hopkins «Back to results

Name JOHN HOPKINS Age 25 Estimated Year of Birth 1846 Relationship to Head of Household HEAD Occupation MINING SURGENEER Address 3 Lostock Terrace District Macclesfield, Prestbury Parish
Administrative County Cheshire Birth Place Dudly Port Birth County STAFFORDSHIRE

He is with a Mary A.

Another possibility as a marriage.

[SIZE=+1]Marriages Sep 1869

[/SIZE]BINKS Daniel Manchester 8d345

Hayes Mary Hannah Manchester 8d345

HOPKINS John Manchester 8d345

PRATT Hannah Manchester 8d345

Wow thanks for that............I looked at the original entry and I think it reads Mining Engineer...........it seems the whole family were involved with mining in some way................lets go to 1881...can't wait for the next episode.

what a let down, no matches for john in 1881.........looked at freebmd for deaths and there are a few for John Hopkins between 1871....1881.....but how do You choose?

Looking for other members of the family it seems that this is William.

Living with his widowed mother? cannot make it out.

1891 Census record for William Hopkins «Back to results

Name WILLIAM HOPKINS Age 34 Estimated Year of Birth 1857 Relationship to Head of Household HEAD Occupation COAL MERCHANT Address Sandiacre District Stapleford, Shardlow
Administrative County Derbyshire Birth Place Dudley Post
Birth County STAFFORDSHIRE

This is ALFRED on the 91 census with his wife Sarah Son Frederick and Daughters Mabel & Alice
Looks like the Hopkins children place of birth was DUDLEY PORT, might help you in your future research.

1891 Census record for Alfred Hopkins «Back to results

Name ALFRED HOPKINS Age 36 Estimated Year of Birth 1855 Relationship to Head of Household HEAD Occupation BREWER AGENT Address Sponey Field House District Stapleford, Shardlow Parish
Administrative County Derbyshire Birth Place Dudley Port Birth County STAFFORDSHIRE

1881 census.

[SIZE=+1]Household:[/SIZE]
Alfred HOPKINS Head M Male 26 Dudley Port, Stafford, England Merchant
Sarah E. HOPKINS Wife M Female 23 Thrumpston, Nottingham, England
Frederic W. HOPKINS Son Male 7 m Sandiacre, Derby, England
Sarah HARRIES Servant U Female 20 Sutton Bonington, Nottingham, England General Servant

Dwelling March Lane
Census Place
Stapleford, Nottingham, England
Family History Library Film 1341810 Public Records Office Reference RG11 Piece / Folio 3391 / 71 Page Number 50

Is this their son JOHN on the 81 census, occupation wise it could be a possibility?

John HOPKINS Head M Male 33 Horseley Heath Tipton, Stafford, England Mining Engineer And Surveyor
Rosane E. HOPKINS Wife M Female 20 Gresford, Wales
Florence HOPKINS Daur Female 1 Liverpool

Dwelling
18 Priory St
Census Place Birkenhead, Cheshire, England
Family History Library Film 1341855
Public Records Office Reference
RG11 Piece / Folio 3574 / 46 Page Number 27

Should be enough info there to keep you going for weeks ;-)

Dib you're a star......don't like to see me idle do you!!

Oh, and as Elizabeth looks to be widowed in 1891 here is a possible death for
William snr

Deaths Sep 1889

[FONT=&quot]Hopkins[/FONT][FONT=&quot] William 71 Shardlow 7b262[/FONT]

I am still thinking about Lilly,Lily, Lillian, Lilian, I do not know if any other posters have any other ideas?

Dibs

Dib......

As far as the Hopkins name goes, there are quite a lot from the black country..I havn't yet established weather they are all related. There are mine owners as well as coal carters and labourers. I am sure about William and Elizabeth and the fact that they migrated to Derbyshire.

The death of William that you mention, looks OK and I will send for that certificate. I wonder if he made a will ? and where would I find it?

As far as Lilly is concerened I will keep my eye on any new family branches for the connection.

I still only do this family history thing as a hobby so don't devote enough time to it really.

I have a census entry (1881) for lilly hopkins age 10, grand daughter of william (a) (b 1819). She was born in Manchester in 1871, according to the records, but the only person present that day that could have been her father was another william (b).born 1854, son of william (a)

I cannot find a birth record for lillie or lilly or lillian......can anyone help???
(Pretty Please)
Hi does Lance corporal Edward william Bailey mean anything ?

Back