• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hopkins family.

David Hankey

proper brummie kid
I am looking for any links with the Hopkins family who came to Birmingham around 1848/50 from Banbury, Oxfordshire.

Daniel b 1825 married Emma Mander in 1849 in Birmingham. They had 9 children all born in Birmingham.

Charles Thomas 1850, Henry 1852, Julia 1853, Joseph 1856, Emma 1858, Mary Elizabeth 1861, Bessie 1863, Ernest Dan 1865 and Alfred James 1868

There are various addresses including Grosvenor Street West, Ladywood Road and Mons Retreat, Waterworks Road.

If anyone can shed light on marriages and their descendants I would be extremely pleased to hear.

Thank you, David

hi there
just been reading your thread of request for the hopkings famiy and decentsand as they lived in grovener steet west
it just a stone throw away and living in ladywood and knowing the area very well and knowing when the houses ws bombed and some got derlict
i am pretty sure you will find them living in 1950 onwards in st marks steet ladywood and one of them was my second oldest brothers friend whom at the
age he jined the army i think it was te artillery ; but i cannot be sure of the regiment but definatley st marks street
next to the chatwins family and the ones and of wrights the bag wash cleaners and dry cleaners
so i suggest you look there in st marks street from the 1950 ;
best wishes astonian;;

My mother was a Hopkins, she was born in Penn Wolverhampton. I know they lived in Slade rd Erdington when she was very young. Grandad Hopkins (Frederick) was a Blacksmith by trade and I know he worked at Lea Hall Collery and he also had something to do with the building of Hams Hall and the ones that used to be on the Tyburn Rd, Erdington. He had a son Fred and 4 girls Maud, Barbara (my Mom), Kathleen and Lucy. I dont think they are related but I thought I'd let you know x

1871 Joseph Hopkins aged 14 is at the Church Road Asylum For Deaf & Dumb, Edgbaston, Birmingham

1901 at 119, Alston Street, Birmingham
Emma Hopkins Widow aged 78 born 1823 Banbury, Living On Own Means
Julia Hopkins Daughter Single aged 44 born 1857 Birmingham,

1911 at 1 Montpellier Terrace
Julia Hopkins Head Single aged 57 born 1854 Birmingham Dressmaker
Florence Burton, Single aged 22 born 1889 Machinist Birmingham

Thanks everyone for you contributions they have certainly filled some gaps in.

To, Jude, thanks for what you have written but like you I'm sure they are not related.

Regards to all, David

I knew a Mrs Hopkins she lived at 2/74 St Marks Street Ladywood she was a widow I lived next door to her, sorry but I didn't know her first name because as a kid we called people Mrs rather than by name

I knew a Mrs Hopkins she lived at 2/74 St Marks Street Ladywood she was a widow I lived next door to her, sorry but I didn't know her first name because as a kid we called people Mrs rather than by name
Hi, only just picked up on this message, i/we lived @ 9/74 St Marks St - 1950/60s. I have many photo's of 'our' yard. Tony P'.

I am looking for information on Charles Cleal Hopkins (1869-1942). At the time of the 1891 census he resided at Clifford Street, St Silas, Aston with an occupation of Jem [Gem] seller. Family tradition has it that he won royal commissions including setting a stone in the crown of Queen Mary. By the time of the 1901 census he was in Handsworth as a bicycle manufacturer. Then on the 1911 census, still in Handsworth, he was once again a gem setter/jeweller. I am confident of his family history but any assistance with his work as a jeweller/gem setter would be greatly appreciated.

Back