• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hope Street School Birmingham

• Thread starter Elizabeth Redmond
  • Start date
hello Mandy, i recognize the two teachers, mr and i think, mrs Smith, i was there 1947 - 1953 i hope1111 this helps you. bye for now.

shardeen

Mandy, Front row 2nd from the right is my mother-in-law, Irene Inman. She was friends with Rita Eaves. The last time she saw her was in 1963 when she was giving birth to her son and Rita was in the bed next to her having a baby.

Thanks all for the info, I have left message with cousin in America and waiting for call back to confirm if she remembers names etc. Thanks.

Mandy, Front row 2nd from the right is my mother-in-law, Irene Inman. She was friends with Rita Eaves. The last time she saw her was in 1963 when she was giving birth to her son and Rita was in the bed next to her having a baby.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I have spoken to cousin Jeannette in USA and she would like to know if your mum in law remembers either Jeannette or Sybil Williams. Jeanette remembers Rita, any idea where she might be?

Thanks again

Mandy

Hello Mandy,
I posted in the other thread also......

Came across your post recently. WOW....to see a pic of my mother so young. You can only imagine the experience I had on opening it. I see it's an oldish post, I hope you get notification of it. OK...(1st pic) the little girl in centre at bottom is Anne Collins, who lived in Varna Road. And again in 2nd pic, bottom second from left. She was very good friends with a girl called Jackie Brown who lived in Hope Street but is not in the pics. I also noticed the name (Pat Vaughan) who has been talked about in family before, who I believe (may be wrong) went on holiday to Australia one time and brought back a toy Koala bear and gave to my mother. That same bear is still around and in the safe hands of my sister. Unfortunately my mother is no longer with us. But thanks so much for posting the pics and in fantastic quality as well. Best wishes Henry.

Might be a bit late but I went to Hope Street School from 1951 to 1957. My name is Fred Heath and brother Philip was there from 1953 to 1957. Does anyone remember Mr Crocker (The welsh man) who taught his class to sing all through the night in welsh. (I still remember most of it) I remember Tony & Budder? Taylor who lived in Hope Street, John Fortunato who lost his eye to a banger. Gordial Singh and his brother were the first sikh's to arrive in the school around 1954. I'm sure if someone jogs my ageing memory other names will come back. I remember going to the Daniell Memorial Hall in Hope Street for Lifeboys and Sunday School.

Hi Henry, Thanks for the reply. Who was your mum, what was her maiden name. I am speaking to Jeanette soon and would love to pass on the info you have supplied me with. regards and thanks.....Mandy

Hello Mandy, reference Jeannette and Sybil there mother Edna was a great friend of my mothers, Lily Lawler, my names Jim and i was at school with Jeannette and remember a lot of the people you have mentioned.

Hello Mandy, reference Jeannette and Sybil there mother Edna was a great friend of my mothers, Lily Lawler, my names Jim and i was at school with Jeannette and remember a lot of the people you have mentioned.
Hello mandy reading some of quotes and seeing photo i recognised hazel blackburn ,shirley pitkin,patty vaughan,and i think rita shaw lovely to see thier faces again in a quote were you in contact with henry adams of kent street

Sorry Mandy I never got notification of this post. My mother was Anne Collins (centre bottom) on the large pic. Her friend Jackie Brown who is not on pics also same age, went to that school. My mother married her brother. So of course that makes Jackie my Aunt whom I speak with from time to time. best wishes Henry

Last edited:
Hi Henry, Jeannette was good friends with Anne your Mum, and also Pat Vaughan. Jeannette is now over from America an sends her regards. She would love to hear from you if possible and talk memories of your mum. Jeannette is very sorry that your mum is no longer with you, she had the same birthday as your mum an often thought of her and all her old school friends,
Regards,
Mandy

Hi Jim, thanks for the post....Jeannette is over from america at the moment and any memories and any info regards friends at Hope Street would be appreciated. Have you any pics of yourself when you were at school as Jeannette needs all the help she can get...her memory isn't what it used to be Ha Ha Ha.. TLook forward to hearing from you,
Regards,
Mandy and Jeannette

Last edited:
Hi Jim, thanks for the post....Jeannette is over from america at the moment and any memories and any info regards friends at Hope Street would be appreciated. Have you any pics of yourself when you were at school as Jeannette needs all the help she can get...her memory isn't what it used to be Ha Ha Ha.. TLook forward to hearing from you,
Regards,
Mandy and Jeannette

Hi Mandy I am Ken Ward and whent hope st. school from 1945 to 1955. Jeannette is related to me by marriage. Jeannette's mother was my aunt's sister-in-law.
When next speaking to her give her my kind regards. Thanks.

Might be a bit late but I went to Hope Street School from 1951 to 1957. My name is Fred Heath and brother Philip was there from 1953 to 1957. Does anyone remember Mr Crocker (The welsh man) who taught his class to sing all through the night in welsh. (I still remember most of it) I remember Tony & Budder? Taylor who lived in Hope Street, John Fortunato who lost his eye to a banger. Gordial Singh and his brother were the first sikh's to arrive in the school around 1954. I'm sure if someone jogs my ageing memory other names will come back. I remember going to the Daniell Memorial Hall in Hope Street for Lifeboys and Sunday School.
Hi FRH My name is John Fortunato, I just noticed your post, I was at Hope Street 1950-1956, and I did indeed lost my left eye on bonfire night, I also remember singing all through the night in Welsh ,Tony Taylor and the Inmans, and many more who have been previously mentioned in these posts.
My sisters Janice and June Susan also attended the school, when Mr Clements was headmaster

Hi FRH My name is John Fortunato, I just noticed your post, I was at Hope Street 1950-1956, and I did indeed lost my left eye on bonfire night, I also remember singing all through the night in Welsh ,Tony Taylor and the Inmans, and many more who have been previously mentioned in these posts.
My sisters Janice and June Susan also attended the school, when Mr Clements was headmaster
Hello John. It's so good to hear from you after 50 years. I remember Mr Clements well. We had to go to his room every week for spelling and reading tests. I live in Lichfield now. We moved out of Gooch Street in 1957 and moved to Bartley Green. We moved to a brand new maisonette with all mod con's. Quite a difference to our old back to back. Hope you are well. Fred Heath

Hi Mandy did you receive my father's email John cross for Sybil Williams I am not sure how this forum works ,it would be so lovely too catch up of our lives over the last 50 years we dated for 2,years in the early 60s I live in Worcester Worcestershire now my telephone number is 01905936654 if you could pass it on too Sybil thank you so much Mandy

Hi, I have just read your message, really great to hear from you. I will pass on the message to sybil very soon. You must have a lot to talk about!! We visited sybil this year and she showed us photos of her and quite possibly you John, her boyfriend. She was and still is a stunner. I will pass on your message and hopefully she will be in touch. Best wishes, happy xmas. Mandy

Oh Thank you Mandy, that is fabulous news !!We will have so much too talk about, Absolutely correct Sybil yes an absolute stunner As I said I can not thank you enough for passing on my details ,it's such an Amazing thing that you have created on here ,wishing yourself & family a wonderful Christmas & aHappy new year Best wishes John

Hi Mandy,
I have joined this forum just to pass on some exciting news! My neighbour, Basil Bridge, received a letter this week from Jeanette (his once sweetheart) all the way from Ohio! Together we investigated further and searched the internet to confirm it was her and in the process found this forum. My google skills came into their own and we found Jeanettes number and Basil phoned her this evening. An hour of reminiscing followed. How wonderful to reunite people after all these years!
Here is a photo (1951 or 2) Basil has given me permission to share of his cricketing years at Hope Street.
Back row - Mr Barlow, A B Smith, ? , ? Masters, ? Beddow, Alan 'Wobble' Jones, Mr Green
Front row - Barry Stone, Harrison, Ron Collins, Basil Bridge, Collin Blower, Turner, Bernard Shaw
maybe the followers on here could fill in the missing blanks.
Kind wishes
Wendy Bas Cricket.jpg

Hi Mandy,
I have joined this forum just to pass on some exciting news! My neighbour, Basil Bridge, received a letter this week from Jeanette (his once sweetheart) all the way from Ohio! Together we investigated further and searched the internet to confirm it was her and in the process found this forum. My google skills came into their own and we found Jeanettes number and Basil phoned her this evening. An hour of reminiscing followed. How wonderful to reunite people after all these years!
Here is a photo (1951 or 2) Basil has given me permission to share of his cricketing years at Hope Street.
Back row - Mr Barlow, A B Smith, ? , ? Masters, ? Beddow, Alan 'Wobble' Jones, Mr Green
Front row - Barry Stone, Harrison, Ron Collins, Basil Bridge, Collin Blower, Turner, Bernard Shaw
maybe the followers on here could fill in the missing blanks.
Kind wishes
Wendy View attachment 115663
Hi Wendy I am Jeanette's cousin Mandy, I have been trying to track down Basil Bridge for a while now and I came across the cricket club and thought maybe there was a connection. I'm so happy that the detective work paid off.... you are right, it's wonderful to connect long lost friends.... Jeanette has set me another task now and that's to find Muriel Harris, from Varna Road, hope it won't take as long as it took to find Basil
Thanks for your help in reuniting them, Jeanette is over the moon...
Regards
Mandy Brown

Hi Wendy I am Jeanette's cousin Mandy, I have been trying to track down Basil Bridge for a while now and I came across the cricket club and thought maybe there was a connection. I'm so happy that the detective work paid off.... you are right, it's wonderful to connect long lost friends.... Jeanette has set me another task now and that's to find Muriel Harris, from Varna Road, hope it won't take as long as it took to find Basil
Thanks for your help in reuniting them, Jeanette is over the moon...
Regards
Mandy Brown
So pleased to be able to help Mandy - Basil was thrilled too.
Wendy

hi wendy how wonderful that this forum has in some way helped to re unite basil and his once time sweetheart jeanette...very happy for them...good luck in finding muriel harris

lyn

Hi Robert,

Have you seen the photo I have posted? There is a Valerie in the line up, same Valerie you were talking of?

Mandy
Hi All, I went to Hope Street School from 1954 to 1966. Mr. Clements was the Headteacher in the Infant & Junior Part of the School. Mr. Drayton was head of Senior School, we called him 'Hitler' because of his Hitler style mustache. Mr. Benson took over from him because of illness, Mr. Green became temporary Head in 1964. Mr. Green moved to a brand new school in King Norton, Primrose Hill School. He retired from primrose about 15 years ago.
There was a Jean Shakespeare, Jean Williams, Robert Bashford, in my class, 2.1 (number of class) when Mr. Wilson was the teacher. I remember Miss Houghton, she came to see me when I was in West Heath Hospital. There was a Tony Deeming in class also. I was caned by Mr. Wilson many times. Mrs. Chancellor was the History and Geography teacher when I was in class 3.1. Mr. Burgess was the Art teacher as was Mr. Evans, a big huge Welshman. Mr. Dave Crocket was my teacher in class 1.1 My. dad had a shop at 247, Gooch Street which backed on the The Hebrew School in St. Lukes Road, I lived at 281 Sherlock Street from 1954 to 1959. One of the girls I had a crush on, Christine Addis lived virtually next door to the school in St. Luke Road. Her best friend was Beryl Stanford, her dad had a scrap metal yard in Sherlock Street. Also in my class were Mahmood Shemson who was a mixed race Arab. I remember Brian Davis and his sister who lived on corner of Belgrave Road and Varna Road. I met up with his ister a few years ago. Brian is now a millionaire with a successful engineering business. I also remember Jobe's newsagents shop on Sherlock street. Class 2.1 'borrowed' a cop a copy of a book banned by Parliament called 'Fanny Hill', because we were too young to buy it. (We did put it back after most of the class had read it).
I have a 8 mm film of the class of 3.1 1963 playing a cricket match against the school staff at pebble mill playing fields if anyone is interested. It was taken by Mrs. Chancellor. She gave it to me before she left and took up a headteachers post in Coventry in 1964/5.
I remember, vividly the Triangle Cinema next to Woolworths on Gooch Street. Mr. Freeman had the clothes shop on the bend near Belgrave Road lights. He sold teddy boys metal ties which had string on a metal skull & cross bones. Mr. Freeman is still alive because I met him a couple of years back. (I am 67 years old now). Anyone wants to have anatter call me on 0121 475 7874 office hours. regards to all, Ali

Hi Fred
I started Hope Street in 1954. Names Ali. The two Sikh brothers were Gurdial Singh, his younger brother was Pyara Singh. They live on corner of Alexander Rd. and Belgrave Road. I was with them, (Pyara and I were very good friends) until we left school in 1965/6.
I moved from Balsall Heath around 1975. I saw most of the area change like when they built the masonettes on Belgrave Rd.
I have seen the building of Birmingham Central Mosque, Percy Shermer School, and the rebuilding of the entire area from Wholesale Fruit Markets to Edward Rd. I have seen the demolishing of Gooch Street and Longmore Street. Most of the shops have gone as have the stores like Woolworths, Triangle Cinema, Luxore Cinema, Moseley Road Cinemas (3 of them).
Most of the shops in the two roads were owned and run by Asians and was a very vibrant area. There was a petrol station on Vaughton Street South, off Gooch Street, where I met Noel Gordon, star of Crossroads in the sixties. She had her car serviced at Rea Street Petrol Station & workshop. Lloyds bank was on the corner here, new building. Cash's Army & Navy Surplus Store was here also. ...Ali

Hi,

I am searching for old pupils of Hope Street school in the 1950's on behalf of my cousins Jeannette and Sybil Williams. They both now live in America but have fond memories of their old friends who went to school with them. Pat Vaughan, Anne Collins, Valerie and Rita Eves, Muriel Harris and a girl named Hazel,and Basil Bridge. Anyone who has any memories of their time at Hope Street, would you be so kind to share them with me and I will pass them on.

Many thanks

Mandy
Hi Mandy
I am Ali, I was in Hope St. School from 1954 to 1965/6. I knew a Hazel, last name, Mcguire, she was in my class 11 in the Juniors. One of her friends was Victor Foulkes. The others were Christine Addis, Beryl Stanford (Beryl had false teeth), Brian Davis. The teacher was Miss Millichap. The classroom was situated on the St. Lukes Rd. end of the school, 2nd floor, next door to the science labs. 1958 was the year they opened the M1 Motorway and all the kids whose dads had cars used to talk about how fast they went on the motorway, (no speed restrictions till 1967).

Hi Fred
I started Hope Street in 1954. Names Ali. The two Sikh brothers were Gurdial Singh, his younger brother was Pyara Singh. They live on corner of Alexander Rd. and Belgrave Road. I was with them, (Pyara and I were very good friends) until we left school in 1965/6.
I moved from Balsall Heath around 1975. I saw most of the area change like when they built the masonettes on Belgrave Rd.
I have seen the building of Birmingham Central Mosque, Percy Shermer School, and the rebuilding of the entire area from Wholesale Fruit Markets to Edward Rd. I have seen the demolishing of Gooch Street and Longmore Street. Most of the shops have gone as have the stores like Woolworths, Triangle Cinema, Luxore Cinema, Moseley Road Cinemas (3 of them).
Most of the shops in the two roads were owned and run by Asians and was a very vibrant area. There was a petrol station on Vaughton Street South, off Gooch Street, where I met Noel Gordon, star of Crossroads in the sixties. She had her car serviced at Rea Street Petrol Station & workshop. Lloyds bank was on the corner here, new building. Cash's Army & Navy Surplus Store was here also. ...Ali
Thanks for that Ali. Sorry it's taken a while to reply but I keep losing the link to this site. When the Singh brothers started at Hope Street my brother and I were asked to look after them and show them the ropes. I believe the headmaster at the time was a Mr Clements (or Clemence). We left the school in 1956 and moved to Bartley Green. I also got in touch with John Fortunato following this post.

Thanks for that Ali. Sorry it's taken a while to reply but I keep losing the link to this site. When the Singh brothers started at Hope Street my brother and I were asked to look after them and show them the ropes. I believe the headmaster at the time was a Mr Clements (or Clemence). We left the school in 1956 and moved to Bartley Green. I also got in touch with John Fortunato following this post.
Hi Fred
I AM NOT TOO FAR FROM BARTLEY. I HAVE A UNIFORM SHOP IN NORTHFIELD CALLED COLLIER'S SCHOOL UNIFORMS LTD. I CHATHAM ROAD. (OVER THE ROAD FROM SAINSBURYS SUPERMARKET. POP IN ANY TIME FOR A CHAT IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA AND HAVE SOME FREE TIME. Edit. Phone number removed.

Ali

Last edited by a moderator:
Back