• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hope Street School Birmingham

• Thread starter Elizabeth Redmond
  • Start date
E

Elizabeth Redmond

Hi everybody Hope Street Secondary Modern,perhaps its been mentioned and i missed it,Hope St Ballsall Heath B 12,started 1962
Mr Drayton was the head, known as Hitler a title he lived up to,he left about 63,Mr Benson took over very nice, Mr Green was deputy
head at that time Mr Benson didn't stay long, and Mr Green became head,you may have heard of him even if you didn't attend Hope St, Mr Gordon Green,labour councellor for Northfield if memory serves correctly,70s till not sure if he is still in politcs his son is

I am looking for information about Hope Street School, off Gooch Street about the 1890's. If anyone has any information I would be very gratefull.

Thanks

gingerninja

Some admission books and log books are in the central library archives and were available to look at in the 90's but I understand you need to make special arrangements to look at them now, why is beyond my comprehension.

I am trying to find out whereabouts Hope Street School was in or just off Gooch Street it opened about 1880.

Thanks

gingerninja

Hi Gingerninja: Here a bit of info about HopeStreet School-----

HOPE STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Gooch Street.(27) Hope St. Bd. Sch. opened 1880, (22) by Birm. Sch. Bd.(21) Accom. 1,445 M, I. It was an experimental building, being the first one built by the Sch. Bd. on the classroom system. It had 3 stories, on each of which was a central hall surrounded by classrooms accom. 60 or 75 each. The Ed. Dept. insisted on the inclusion of the halls in the recognized accom. After 1881 they were not included: accom. 1,150.(23) Fees 1d.–3d.(22) Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912. Accom. in Wycliffe Baptist Sunday School used 1925–34. Site extended 1927, 1930. Reorganized 1930 for SM, JI. Enlarged 1934. SM dept. became a separate sch. 1945 (see next sch.). Site extended 1952.(21) Accom. 1961: 8 classrooms, domestic science, hall.(28)

From British History Online

Hi, My Grandad Leslie Wareham (Born 1926) went to Hope Street School, as the family lived at 38 hope Street, Grandad said that once when he was playing in the playground, of which irs railings formed the boundary with Grandads back yard, his mom pulled him through them and shouted at the teacher "Hes got to do his chores, he aint staying any later!"

That map if amazing, ive never seen a photo of a map of Hope Street where Grandad was born, is there any photos before it was blitzed?? I know his dad George Wareham was born at "Brighton Terrace, Hope Street" in 1902.

Thanks, any info would be great as my Grandad died when i was 10 so im stuck!

Lee

[
Hi Liz!

Oh these are fantastic! thank you! ive wondered all my life what the street looked like, im guessing that not one peice of Hope Street as it was still exists today, i think it was all cleared sadly, im back off home to Birmingham today so im going to try and get to Central Library and see if they have anything of the bomb damaged part where my Grandad grew up,

Thanks Liz!

Lee:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen a couple of photo's of the school somewhere, i'll try and find them, and your right the whole area was demolished, around 67/68, Gooch St is still there, although a little different, and there is a street where Hope St was,
Hi i just had a look on google maps, and part of Hope St is still called Hope St, when i lived there it ran opposite Vaughton St, on the other side of Gooch St, then up across Sherlock St, which is still called Hope St, of course it would look very different, but still there.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...8247,-1.897352&spn=0.005556,0.013797&t=h&z=16

Has anyone got any pictures of upper highgate county girls school on moseley road .i attended there with my sisters i can see every part of the school in my mind but sadly ive never been able to find any fotos of it ......

Lee

I suppose you could say that Hope St was quite close to the Hippodrome, I would imagine it would be about a 10 minute walk. I've marked it on this map. The Hippodrome in Hurst St is Marked 1 in red and Hope St is marked 2.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Ahh fantastic! yes its the same Hope Street where grandad grew up, its so nice to see old maps of it!! You dont know of any detaield maps of the actual back to backs do you? or plans? i would love to actually find out more of the actual houses he lived in and where his dad was born in hope Street in Brighton Terrace

Thanks!

Lee

Below shows Hope st , c 1889 , with brighton terrace in red. sorry its a bit jagged, but had to be scanned from 2 maps joined together
Mike

map_1889_hope_st_showing_brighton_terraceA.jpg

Mike this is amazing!! ive always wondered what Brighton Terrace looked like and couldnt work it out in my mind but this makes perfect sense, my great grandad George Wareham was born in 1 Brighton Terrace in 1901, it makes you think how tough it was living in this area of Birmingham then, both his mom and dad were both deaf and dumb and so George had to learn how to sign to speak to them, tough times!

Where could i view the whole of this map? is it your personal one? i wonder if any photos were taken of these courts and back to backs before they were demolished?

Cheers,

Lee

Lee
You can't view the whole map as one. that is why it is three bits joined, but they are from the old maps site (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/ ). you have to click on "get maps". Then click on birmingham on the map. , and adjust till you are over hope st on the modern map. Then click on the map you want (in this case town plan 1889) . You can enlarge it further, which makes soem details clearer.
Mike

would anyone have any info about hope street school about the time of 1939..i have an uncle that was evacuated just after war broke out,and he wud luv to see any pics of hope street school...xx

Hi,
I have a school prize book for regular attendance during the year ended Feb 1890 for my Grandfather Frederick John Mincher, do you have any attendance lists or were you only after photos?
Cheers Stewart Bissell
I am looking for information about Hope Street School, off Gooch Street about the 1890's. If anyone has any information I would be very gratefull.

Thanks

gingerninja

Hi,

I am searching for old pupils of Hope Street school in the 1950's on behalf of my cousins Jeannette and Sybil Williams. They both now live in America but have fond memories of their old friends who went to school with them. Pat Vaughan, Anne Collins, Valerie and Rita Eves, Muriel Harris and a girl named Hazel,and Basil Bridge. Anyone who has any memories of their time at Hope Street, would you be so kind to share them with me and I will pass them on.

Many thanks

Mandy

Last edited:
Back