• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

The building is still there in Vernon Road but has been converted into apartments.(surprise!!).I delivered some flowers there the other day.BobS.

Thank you so much for the post. I finally got to see my birth place. JoAnne Nappi

Hope Lodge 1936

This is quite an adventure. Here I am in the USA and I'm transported across the sea in seconds, and I am touched by all that I have read, the photos I've seen and the kindness expressed. It's really nice. Regards, JoAnne

Hi

Just wondering if details are kept on who lived at hope lodge. I think my grandmother lived there with my dad until he was 4.5, so from about 1923 up until mid 1927, or was this information not kept in the circumstances?

Thanks

Lisa

Hi everyone!
I am a new member and this is my first post. I have been looking for about 5 years now for where my aunt was sent in the early 30's. I knew from conversations with other family members that she was 'sent away' at about age 15 to a magdalen assylum. I think there was a child involved, I have been trying to find my cousin. I have contacted everyone I could think of but no-one could tell me about a magdaled place around brum. Then I read your posts by accident! Thanks for the info, I will try contacting the person you mentioned. My unknown cousin will be 70+ now, so time is running out for me to make contact. My aunts first names were Lily Ethel. If by some miracle my cousin is reading this you'll know the rest of her name! Will report back with any info I get. I now live in North Wales, so if anyone needs a look up from this area I would be happy to oblige. Thanks, Linda

hi linda. and welcome..we have some pretty knowledgable members on this forum and i am sure that if they can offer you any advice or point you in the right direction they will...all the best in your search...please keep us informed of any developements...

lyn

Hello could you give me a ring regarding hope lodge
on 07956 261696
ray wilkes

hi, i was born 1942 which makes me 66 years old, still working as a fashion manager ....would really like to tie-up the loose ends with regard to my parentage......fathers name is not on the birth certificate, however, i am hoping there maybe something in the original records......thanks for your interest,

heather

call me on 07956-261696

Seeking help for my mum, ( 77) does anyone know if the birth certicficates show the mothers names from unmarried mothers homes in the times around 1947-48. There are a few with her surname in the archives around this period and I can pay for some to be searched for her surname as the mother. Anyone seeking a mum Josephine .... baby born possibly in 1947-48 at a home in Birmingham district. All the info have as her memories are repressed unfortunately and she is in need of some help to peice her life together in this period. We are in Australia now so a bit difficult to ring up etc. places.

Does anyone know Karen Cartwrights email address - the contact for Support after adoption Team. Being in Oz this would be a preferred option

Hello,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. A good result for my first venture with yourselves. I have just been on the web looking for more info and it looks as if Hope Lodge is now known as Magdelen Court and is sought after apartments, How things change but a least I will get to see the premises. Strange to think that when I was a teenager I lived in Portland Road not a million miles away. But then I had no knowledge of Hope lodge!!

It is actually known as Magdalen Court, reflecting its original name, but Hope Lodge is the name by which it was more generally known. The Health Authority sold the building c 2003, and it was developed as apartments by Redrow Homes.

Records would be kept at Tame Bridge House Perry Barr, The Adoption Services Department. Call them first they were very helpfull with me when i inquiring about a matter of interest to me.
Message me if you want to.

thanks for that new info. raymond... Would you perhaps have an email address for them. Incredible how fast we can touch a few keys and presto, answers from the other side of the world... Cheers Janet

https://www.search.connectinghistor...ds=&direction=&pointer=4&text=0&resource=1315

I came across a bit of info about Hope Lodge on connectinghistories.org.uk so I thought I'd post it.

"Helen Newill was elected as a Guardian for Kings Norton Poor Law Union on 25th March 1901 and was re-elected in 1904 and 1908. She was also involved in the Birmingham Magdalen Workhouse Charity visiting unmarried mothers within the city’s workhouse infirmaries. It was this work which led to her involvement in The Association for the Rescue and Training of Young Women, later to become the Birmingham Association for the Unmarried Mother and Her Child.

This charity was founded by female members of the Magdalen charity who wished to establish a home where unmarried mothers might reside for a short time with their baby and receive help and guidance. The home, known as Hope Lodge, opened on 16th October 1906 at premises in Athol House, Ladywood Road, Birmingham. The organisation aimed to ‘rescue’ young women from falling further into what was viewed as an immoral life, perhaps further pregnancies out of wedlock and a fall into prostitution. The home provided a temporary residence and training in domestic duties to help the women find employment.

Hope Lodge moved in 1913 to premises at 134 Heathfield Road Handsworth and in 1919 to Vernon Road, Edgbaston.

The home closed in September 1951. After this date, the association continued to provide assistance to unmarried mothers and their babies in a non-residential capacity until the 1980s, through the provision of legal help in bringing affiliation orders through the courts and through visits by caseworkers. Miss Helen Newill was Chairman of the association from 1906 to 1914. She appears in the annual reports of the charity, as an honorary vice-president, until 1956."

Hello could you give me a ring regarding hope lodge
on 07956 261696
ray wilkes
I'm not sure what I'm doing here but .......here goes! I am searching for my Grandmother who may have been in a home but I don't know where. I do have an autograph book dated 1930-1934 with names in and lovely verses, some of a religious sentiment, names are Mrs J. Wallen, A. Wheatly, E. Taylor, D. Stanmore and others. I wonder if you know if these are staff of the Hope Lodge home? Sorry to trouble you. Kind regards, Chinch.

Back