• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hope Lodge, Edgbaston

Hi Malcom/Robin. I agree with Brenda that your birth papers would tell you a lot. I was born in 1948 at the Dudley Road hospital (City hospital). I know that before my birth my mother stayed with a sister-in-law. At some point we went to Hope Lodge, but I was born in the hospital so I don't know for sure if babies were actually born at Hope Lodge. Where do the records say you were born? I would dearly like to know what the first three months of my life were like. My birth mother has told me some of what she experienced, but I never liked to press her as I know it was a difficult time for her. I hope you are able to get answers to your questions. Sylvia W

I would like to go to Edgbaston! The new/updated apts at the old Hope Lodge look good, otherwise, down south, Maypole/Wythall way. Malcolm.

Hi Malcom/Robin. I agree with Brenda that your birth papers would tell you a lot. I was born in 1948 at the Dudley Road hospital (City hospital). I know that before my birth my mother stayed with a sister-in-law. At some point we went to Hope Lodge, but I was born in the hospital so I don't know for sure if babies were actually born at Hope Lodge. Where do the records say you were born? I would dearly like to know what the first three months of my life were like. My birth mother has told me some of what she experienced, but I never liked to press her as I know it was a difficult time for her. I hope you are able to get answers to your questions. Sylvia W
Hi Sylvia, thanks for the reply. The problem is that the paperwork is in poor condition so can't read it properly, But I have now been told that it was a maternity unit so thats a problem solved. Thanks M/R

This is a request to anyone who was born at Hope Lodge and is illegitimate.
If anyone has any details of any sort of society that caters for adopted people then please let me know.
Regards to all Malcolm/Robin.

So you would like to go back to where it all began for you. I live between Harborne and Northfield. I’ve grew up in Harborne and have stayed quite close. . My husband was adopted at 4 month in 1944.

Last edited by a moderator:
! Even though some of us are not living nearby, we still have connections. I have family in Harborne, Sutton Coldfield and the Midlands and have visited often over the years. My birth mother's family are all from Northfield/Bartley Green and Halesowen. At the time of my birth, her family was in Bournville. I plan to contact the Library and any other places that might still have records from our connections to Hope Lodge, to see what is there. The library had told me on a previous visit that their records from Hope Lodge are closed for 100 years! Maybe other organisations have records that will help us. I wish Malcom/Robin (which do you prefer?) the very best of luck relocating to Brum. Sylvia

TO ALL AND SUNDRY.....HAVE RECENTLY DISCOVERED AN ASSOCIATION FOR ADOPTEES, KNOWN AS THE I A A P, THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION FOR ADOPTED PEOPLE, SOUNDS A BIT HIGH FLYING

Hi Brenda, I can't use a mobile phone where I live now, its not an Iphone and the Internet signal is v low, I think these big organisations don't appreciate that we are all technonerds and that a lot of us have low strength, but will keep trying. I might open a new email address and use it purely for this site, but will keep trying. M.

thread now re opened....could the team please remind members to stay on topic...

many thanks

Malcom, if you have an email you'd like to share, perhaps we can expand the topic there and share more information about our own journeys that might not fit here?
Sylvia

hi brenda...members are allowed to post their private email addresses on open forum but we always advise that if they want to swap private contact details including telephone numbers with other members the safest way is to contact each other via our private message system which is only visible between the sender and the recipient...by posting them on open forum could lead to your email address being hacked and in the case of telephone numbers receiving unwanted phone calls but as i said the choice is entirely yours...

lyn

TO ALL AND SUNDRY.
For the sake of my mental health and bad temper I have had to give up trying to get back into Facebook,
Malcolm

Hi, I was born 1942 which makes me 66 years old, still working as a fashion manager ....would really like to tie-up the loose ends with regard to my parentage......fathers name is not on the birth certificate, however, I am hoping there maybe something in the original records......thanks for your interest,

Heather
Hi Heather I'm doing some research for ITV Central News about people who were born in Mother and Baby homes. Would you be willing to talk to me about what you've discovered?

Back