• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hope & Anchor pub Edmund St

JillJenk

Brummie babby
The Hope & Anchor pub in Edmund St it was run by Eli Fletcher sometime in the 1940,s any info would be good

Thank You Jill

s it the hope 7 anchor you are interested in Jill, or Eli Fletcher, or both ?

The following is from directories , McKenna’s Central Birmingham Pubs (Vol1) and electoral rolls
The Hope & Anchor opened 1762. Originally it was a two story Georgian house with a bow window in the front .When Ansells took pub over in 1893 the front was remodelled , but inside left as was. It had a Gentlemen Only bar , where councillors and aldermen met to discuss business (whether the term “gentlemen “was suitable for a place of machinations and dubious deals is open to question) . Eli Fletcher, a former alderman, held the licence for more than 34 years, and it was often known as Eli’s. McKenna states that the Fletcher family ran it for over 100 years, but this would not seem to agree with the landlords listed below.
Landlords and known dates (In some early years it is listed as “The Anchor” )
1841-45 William Pugh
1849-52 John Greenhill
1855-79 Thomas Jones
Here Edmund Street was renumbered, and the Hope & Anchor became no 19
1880-83 Thomas Jones
1884 William Britland Jones
1888-92 Henry Cutts
1895-97 Joseph Astle
1899-1903 George W.Webb
1904-21 Walker Fletcher
1950 Eli Walker Fletcher
1955-56 Ian Hurst Burns
The pub is not listed in Kellys directory after 1963, and no licensee is named for 1962-3, but McKenna states that the last licensees were the Wilson’s and that the pub closed the 27 th June 1965 when the (then) new library built.
The electoral rolls also show Eli listed as owning The New Inn , 191 Bromsgrove St in 1930. In 1939 he also owned the Old Red Lion , in the Bull Ring, while living at 95 Nursery Road, Edgebaston, with wife Hettie and Marjorie Patricia Fletcher (daughter?) , Eli disappeared from the electoral roll between 1950 and 1955.
Mike

JillJenk says :- Thanks a lot to mikejee for the information about the Pub. Do you know of any pictures of the pub when Eli was manager, thanks JillJenk

I believe this is The Hope & Anchor in Edmund Street, as there was another one in Navigation St.

Phil

CityTheHopeAnchor.jpg

That fits with the 1889 map, with the old library on the left and a largish covered entrance on the right

map1889hopeandanchorpub.jpg

1588108297702.png
This photo appears in post 1468 of the Pubs of the Past thread:

Nicola, it seems that Jill has not been here since 2011 so may not see your post. You could try a Private Message through the Forum. Click on Jill's name in her post and try a message to her.

You're welcome Nicola, I am creating a public tree at Ancestry based on individuals in old publications, starting with those that have photographs. The aim being to share these with other researchers.

I'd appreciate it if you'd check my research (you may need the basic 'free' membership with Ancestry to be able to access this link, I think...

Eli Walker Fletcher

The Hope and Anchor in the 1950s. Good example of modern street lamp in front. Not long before this section of Edmund Street would disappear. Anyone know what was next door, to the right ? Looks like a building needing access to the rear by large vehicles. Viv.

C5940ACF-452E-4003-94BF-C42B633FA531.jpeg

No. 15 is listed next to the Hope & Anchor on the 1950's map and 1940's newspapers give this address as The Electoral Registration Office. Wonder if it is rear access to no. 21 Paradise St which newspapers give the address as City of Bham Electric Supply Department Showrooms.

0 - Edmund St.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering if the University of Birmingham building was where Phyllis Nicklin worked from? She was working in the department of Extra Mural Studies for the university

Just guessing though, can’t say for sure. Just happen to have seen photos with lots of taxis alongside the Town Hall on that side (and in earlier images, black cabs). There was also once a cabstand/cabman’s hut around the corner in front of the Town Hall on the Paradise Street side (as well as one in Radcliffe Place). I expect once Paradise Street became busier, the cabstand had to go or be moved. Viv.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Just wondering if the University of Birmingham building was where Phyllis Nicklin worked from? She was working in the department of Extra Mural Studies for the university
The 1956 Kellys states that the department of extramural studies was then in the Mason building, so it looks like your wondering was correct

The attached picture shows toilets (Lavs) outside the entrance to the Library.
and a close up of the map does indeed have toilet steps separated by the word Lav/Lay.

Attachments

• 0B4BCBE2-2637-4D30-831A-2CA20EBDC64E.jpeg
    0B4BCBE2-2637-4D30-831A-2CA20EBDC64E.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 14
  • C20BECD3-836C-4240-9535-17EBB31473CA.jpeg
    C20BECD3-836C-4240-9535-17EBB31473CA.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 14
Just shows you how busy it was around there if they needed ‘lavs’. Probably no public ones in the (old Victorian) Library I guess.

Most reasonably large , and small towns had them once Viv. I can think of three offhand in Birmingham centre (not from experience though)

The 1956 Kellys states that the department of extramural studies was then in the Mason building, so it looks like your wondering was correct
Looking at her photographic work and being involved in the grid project it seems more likely now that as she worked near the Council House, she was getting prior notification of pending planning permission for demolition approval.

She photographed some building several times, always from the same viewpoint. I made an assumption that the developers had not got around to demolishing them as yet.

Back